I have recently confimed (and reconfirmed) that two of my CJ Advertisers are using pop-ups to avoid paying commissions. Here is what I have confirmed:

A user clicks on one of my links and is sent to the Advertisers webpage ... the resulting URL does display my affiliate ID. HOWEVER, the Advertiser displays a pop-up window promoting the product or special offer, and when you click on the product you are taken to the Advertisers main webpage .... WITHOUT my affiliate ID in the resulting URL.

Now, this only happens on the initial call ... I assume the Advertiser is caching the IP address.

Can anyone else confirm this???

I am awaiting a reply from the AM's of these Advertisers, and if I don't receive a reply today I'll let you know who they are.

nstar,

The pop up doesn't necessarily mean that they overwrote or otherwise invalidated your cookie, have you made a test purchase?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    It will be interesting to hear what the merchants have to say. I'm not sure you've confirmed this yet, though. It's not uncommon for affiliate ID's to drop from the URL window on subsequent pages with tracking continuing through the visitor session.

Welcome to ABW, by the way.

Wayne

Haiko, thanks for the reply/suggestion. But after 4 years of full-time (successful) affiliate marketing I've stopped sending 'test purchases' and then requesting refunds. I wonder what percentage of Advertisers revenues come from affiliate test purchases? I'll see what reply I receive and go from there.

ABW Ambassador
    Popups like this are a fairly standard practice. Usually a limited-time offer or impulse item to help induce a sale. The popups themselves are not necessarily a sign that a merchant is up to no good, though there may be some who are not above pulling a stunt.

Check the source code in the merchant's home page to see if there is anything there that would overwirte your cookie when the popup is spawned. Check the source code in the popup window too.

I agree... just because a pop is popped doesnt mean you are not being tracked...

HEY Chief... I see you changed your name...

To Chief_Bobbit... and in your sig you "Beef Trimmed by Popular Demand"

wasn't "Bobbit" the guy who got his "Beef Trimmed"?

Are you trying to tell us something CB?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread