I'm thinking about using their datafeed. What do the affiliates that use it think of it? How often do you have to update it or is it have automatic updates? Any and all information you guys can give me about datafeeds would be great as well. Thanks a million

Bump So I'm guessing no one even uses Hobbytron?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I use them out of desperation as the alternatives like eHobbies suck. Never would put out a datafeed site for them but your welcome to try and see if this form of SE spam creating 10,000 doorway pages gets you some business.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I thought their AM was an arrogant *&^&! I dropped 'em just because of their AM!

ABW Ambassador
    I use the Hobbytron feed, made a few sales with it. I was updating it weekly but wrote a script to update it each night. Wish they had comprehensive model rail-roading listings. I'd buid a site around that alone. (Suggestions?)

Found a small problem in the feed once & they were very responsive in fixing it.

Ignore those few who equate the use of datafeeds as search engine spamming.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    I found the feed itself a mess, but helpful for the initial seeding of a site. I find the AM very helpful and nice, he has added products at my request and emailed me back when they got new products in he knew I promoted.

That is the perfect level of interaction by an AM for me.

Chet

"this form of SE spam creating 10,000 doorway pages"

"Ignore those few who equate the use of datafeeds as search engine spamming"

"I dropped 'em just because of their AM!"

Internet Cowboy
    Hobbytron is the reason I initially joined CJ, being an avid 1/10 scale onroad car racer, I built a site to promote my hobby and decided to join CJ to turn the site in to a stream of revenue. I have since discovered that the Hobbytron feed is a real mess. The last time I looked at it, they had kites in the RC Toys category and all kinds of things screwed up on it. I emailed their AM and got an immediate and apologetic reply, but it is still a mess. I sure wish Tower Hobbies would join CJ or some other affiliate program as their web site is superior to Hobbytron.
    Furthermore, I think that Hobbytron plays games with their .net and .com. After placing orders from them for Christmas gifts, I noticed that all of my confirmations had (I am not sure which, .net or .com) the opposite extension on the domain. This way, if someone returns to their site and makes a follow-up purchase, you get hosed out of the commission because they bring them in through another door and, even though your cookie is still there an valid, you get no commission.
    Has anyone else noticed any other merchants playing this game?
    It makes me question their credibility and I have moved on to other merchants since then.

Scohaz,

When I came to the company they had both .net and .com.

I told them they need to stay with the .com. We have been so busy growing that we haven't "got around to it".

Either domain resolves to one shopping cart and gives credit. So, NO, we are not scamming you on commissions.

Again, as too many people think, a "company' is always trying to scam affiliates. Please come to me and ask and I'd will be happy to explain anything.

One thing to note too, with the data feed, etc. etc. We are a fast growing company and finding good help to keep up with it is not easy. If anyone want to move to Utah....

Internet Cowboy
    Well I apologize then, Troy. But you must agree that is how it looks from this end.
    I have had some success with your program and I continue to promote you.
    I need to do some updating on your stuff, but it it is so frustrating to have to manually recategorize the items that are wrong. It seems like the category I concentrate on most has the most errors.
    Thank you for your reply. I am glad to clear the air on the .com .net issue.
    If you can somehow make Utah border the Atlantic Ocean, I am THERE man, but only as contract help, I am nobody's em**oyee!
    See ya
    Scott

Troy,

can't you just add extensions to the existing category names?

Remote Control Toys>puzzles
    Remote Control Toys>kites
    Remote Control Toys>engines
    Remote Control Toys>aircraft

etc.

If it's just a matter of someone going thru line by line and adding those extensions - I'll do all the Remote Control Toy items for you for free! (But you have to promise to maintain my system.)

HD

Internet Cowboy
    Actually, the time spent in separating out radio controlled cars, boats, aiplanes etc. would pay off in spades as it would allow your publishers to make pages that are that much more specific.
    A search term analysis via Overture on "Radio controlled toys" returns 333 inquiries while the same analysis on "radio controlled cars" returns 4071, proving that if you get more specific, you are reaching a more relevant audience and in greater numbers.
    If I were paid on the performance of a web site with a relatively small (2316 lines) datafeed, I would make it as specific as I possibly could because it would make the publisher be able to hone in on specifics and create much more relevant pages.
    That would increase your business significantly I am sure, but this is only a suggestion.
    You are the manager if the Hobbytron program and I realize it is not my place to tell you how to run it.
    My only intrest here is that I feel like it could make me more money than it currently does.
    Thanks for allowing the rant.
    Scott

How about unlimited occurences instead of just one!
    Mash Your Motor!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Troy I need some help explaining these EcomCity stats from a conversion ratio viewpoint. The page sending referral traffic to you is www.ecomcity.com/webworld/hobby.htm

HobbyTron.com YTD earnings=$10.50 sales=2 returns=1 clicks=3,345 impressions=105,798 0.032 $0.10 0.001 EPC=$0.31

I alert my shoppers to use the coupon codes. Display whatever individual product links the CJ interface occassionally displays. Place plenty of pre-sell and category links to focus landing pages for the buyers. Largest sale of 119.00 was reversed 7 days later and the conversion ratio is 1 sale per 3300 targeted clicks. All click required shoppers see this page and physically click their choice of Hobbytron categories.

I get the page view traffic strickly from free SE listings and internal site navigation or bookmarks. No e-mail and no PPCSE traffic passed from me to you guys. I'm sure their is an valid explaination, but this is a steady stream of hobby item and toy shoppers where the moment the referral lands on your pages ...you have acquired a responsibility to close them.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Maybe unlimited occurences aren't so valuable after all.
    Mash Your Motor!

quote:
    Originally posted by scohaz:
    Hobbytron is the reason I initially joined CJ, being an avid 1/10 scale onroad car racer, I built a site to promote my hobby and decided to join CJ to turn the site in to a stream of revenue.

Hey scohaz,

Glad to see there's someone at ABW who shares the same passion in R/C onroad car. I'm also an onroad gas & electric racer. Wish HobbyTron would carry more high end radio transmitter (Futaba 3PK, Airtonics M8 and the newest K.O. Propo radio) as there's a great demand for those kinda radios. I've also been searching online hobby shops that carry parts for Xray cars, Mugen and Serpent..but no luck so far.

Anyway, are you anywhere near Ft. Meyers in Miami ?

ABW Ambassador
    Mike can you go into CJ and take a screenshot of your Hobbytron stats and post them?

In this thread you avoided Rhea's question
    http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...89&m=569104215

Your stats aren't adding up.

Internet Cowboy
    Redsand,
    I am in the Daytona Beach area, actually just a few miles south in Edgewater. We have a track here that is ok and a decent number of racers.
    Orlando has two hobby shops that sponsor 1/10 scale on-road events once a month.
    I run strictly nitro TC3. Right now I am running an OS .12. I am also an rc airplane enthusuast since the late 70's and am partial to OS engines.
    If you ever find a better source for parts and hopups, feel free to send me a private message.
    Thanks
    Scott

I just noticed most of my RC datafeed links are going to wrong pages. Anybody else experiencing this?

HD

Internet Cowboy
    Yes.
    The Hobbytron datafeed needs some work.
    We had a dialog with their AM going on in here, but he must be too busy to deal with it.
    I can't imagine that an Affiliate Manager would have more important things to do than to make sure the datafeed is correct, but it apparently takes a back seat to something.
    I still stumble through two to five sales a week with them. I wonder if that could be turned in to 10 to 20 sales if things were corrected? Multiply that increase times the number of publishers and I bet it would make a marked increase in their overall sales.

I just don't get it.

Actually, it's working since I uploaded the most recent feed. That other feed was a couple of weeks old.

I've spoken with Troy (a good guy) and I know the feed is on his to-do list.

HD

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by hazydavy:
    I just noticed most of my RC datafeed links are going to wrong pages. Anybody else experiencing this?

HD

I'm not experiencing that at all. Just checked about a dozen or so random links in the Remote Control Toys category & all seem to work correctly. Feed is updated nightly, so I know I have the most current feed.

Have you emailed the AM with your problem? Perhaps he can help. What was the response? As I've said before, I found the HobbyTron AM responsive and helpful when I had problems. A constant presense in these forums shouldn't be the only gauge by which an AM's interest in his affiliates should be judged.

Wayne

(Beat me to the draw with your second post, HD.)

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread