ABW Ambassador
    I have been doing pretty well with this new merchant until the last four or five days. I decided to visit the site and see what's up.....

quote:
    Free Shipping* on all orders $100 and higher.
    Call toll-free 1-877-TEXSHOP (1-877-839-7467) for more information.

Now this is near the bottom of pages......hmmm, maybe thats why sales are down. Anyone know another merchant I could replace Textile shop with on my sites??

thanks
    :mad:

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: MsMarySunshine ]

ABW Ambassador
    just a quick update, the 800 # listed takes visitors to an automated ordering system via phone. They don't have a special coupon code or anything given to those who call.....although the above quote from the site would lead people to believe that in order to get the free shipping, you must call.

What is the best way to deal with merchants who add this type of thing?? I have changed my pages to read --

Free shipping on ALL OLINE ORDERS over $100! to maybe discourage visitors from picking up the phone.

I will contact the merchant to see if perhaps they would consider rewording their message as to not lead visitors into thinking they must CALL to get the free shipping.

What is the best way to approach the merchant with this type of request?? Any ideas anyone.

thanks again

ABW Ambassador
    MsMary, There is no nice way to go about it.

They are robbing their affiliate base, it's plain and simple.

If I were you I would just call them and lay it on the line.

(Also inform them that if they plan on letting the number up that you will be planning to tell affilites everywhere about their little scam)

That might get a rise out out of 'em!

MsMarySunshine,

i have had great success with new advertisers simply by joining them and then dropping them a day or two later, some of them email me and say "what did we do? we are new, tell us what can we do to please affiliates?"

try writing them an email and politely explain that it sounds like customers must phone to get the deal (btw: i agree totally) and you feel that this is unfair as this will rob you of commissions on sales, i personally would take their links down and give them 7 days to respond positively

my experience has often been that some smartass manager probably thought doing this would be a good way of reducing costs, the same manager often gives the teaboy the additional task of "affiliate manager"

often the spotty young affiliate manager wants to do well so try and develop a buisness relationship with him, he usually doesnt have a clue so tell him that high earning affiliates can create great wealth for his boss and tell him that affiliates hate 0800 numbers and that only low earners will join his program

tell him politely what affiliates like and dislike, by doing this i have got advertisers to raise commissions and cookie durations, the end result, more transactions for cj.com and affiliates, greater wealth for the advertiser boss and teaboy gets a pat on the back for his efforts, bobs your uncle and everybodys happy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I was planning on replacing the links until this issue is resolved....the problem is who to replace them with since I'm getting about 1000+ google hits a day on the page.

Linensource and LinenPlace won't do because I can't link to specific products....and domestications rejected me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

so, first I need to find a merchant to replace them with.

I will take your advice when emailing them, seems like it works well for you!

thanks

That definitely does not sound fair to the affiliate. Any reputable company needs to have an 800 number and in our case we've found that certain segments of memory customers certainly need this but we don't want a 'leaky' affiliate program either. So we offer a 10% discount on your order ONLY if you place your order on our website. Phone orders DO NOT get the discount whatsoever and the reps let the customer know up front about this. So many times a customer will call and get the assurance they need, only to go back to the net to place their order. This makes it fair for everone.

Jared
    Crucial Affiliate Tea www.crucial.com

Jared,

quote:
    So we offer a 10% discount on your order ONLY if you place your order on our website. Phone orders DO NOT get the discount whatsoever and the reps let the customer know up front about this.

This is fair and equitable to me!

But, I'd get the part # and then order it online to get the discount

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    MsMary, I must apologize for flying off the handle in my earlier post. I have wrestled with these types before and your post really bropught back the memories. lol

quote:
    So many times a customer will call and get the assurance they need, only to go back to the net to place their order. This makes it fair for everone.

I agree on that concept 100%. Would seem to work wonders! That way you don't loose them if they are uncertain but still will normally get the credit when they are sold over the phone.

ABW Ambassador
    Jared,
    I want to commend crucial for their efforts to create a fairness for the affiliates. I've spoken up in the past in the CJ forums (when they were there) regarding 800 numbers. What you guys do is the best solution I could come up with...offering a web discount...In fact, it's probably the only viable solution. I have added crucial to our list of advertisers for this reason (and we have an audience that would probably do quite well with crucial). BTW, We use a toll free number in a lot of our advertising campaigns (print ads), using it to track what ads are working for us and which are not. There are a lot of benefits, but like you, our goal is not to screw the people that promote us [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Tom Pyles
    TH Media

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread