quote:
    We have had to expire this relationship due to a high amount of clicks and impressions with zero commissions earned. Unfortunately our ratings are severely impacted by high amounts of traffic without commissions earned.
    I got fired for sending them too many customers? All the clicks were on product links, it's not like they were blind popups - I did my job.
    I dont' care anyways, I took down their links myself last month for exactly the same reason.

ABW Ambassador
    I think what they mean is:

"We have had to expire this relationship due to a high amount of clicks and impressions with zero sales made. Unfortunately our ego is severely impacted by high amounts of traffic without our having a clue how to as to how to make a sale."

Shame! Shame on you for putting pressure on them to do their job.

Wayne

Hmm thats insane. if they can't convert it's not your fault. Yeah Right I actually might be the next to get fired for Generating to many sales. Yeah or I might be the next to go because I got a order that was tagged fraud which was $8000 Can you get terminated for Fraud orders? It's not my fault I'm doing my job I'm getting them customers anyway.

I left out the best part:
    quote:
    We would be willing to work with you in the future providing you can demonstrate your ability to provide sales to our website.

Who are these idiots?

So I can send them an email stating I am afraid I can no longer work with you for fear of sending you too many customers. Apparently you recently fired an affiliates for sending you to much traffic and I do'nt want to add to your traffic burden!

That's hilarious to say the least...

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    We would be willing to work with you in the future providing you can demonstrate your ability to provide sales to our website.

Sounds fair to me as long as these clowns are willing to pay you for doing the jobs of their sales manager & the AM.

Wayne

quote:
    Who are these idiots?

Sportstation. I think I was their only affiliate.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    What are you getting so upset for. You said, you had fired them the month before because they couldn't convert anyway.

What their email tells me, that they might not be good sales people, but they are honest.

Mike
    K9 Calendars & Gifts

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar

I especially like this part:
    - - - - -

Ahhh, the sarcasm floodgates open up at the potential responses I could make to that email. Too many choices! How on earth could I choose??!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Here's the letter they should have sent out:
    quote:
    Dear Affiliate,

I am an Affiliate Manager who has no idea what my job really is, how to do it, or how to fix things when they go wrong. Our program has been underperforming since under my care, and to make my boss think I know what I'm doing, I'm going to get rid of a bunch of affiliates who send us clicks, but no sales. That way I can show my boss I'm being proactive.

I've noticed there seem to be a lot of affiliates who send us clicks with no sales, but I'm sure that's their fault not ours. Perhaps something could be done with our site to make it convert better, but I have no idea what changes should be made because I'm basically an idiot.

Please understand this decision is not a reflection of your site, but is due to my inexperience and lack of knowledge on running an affiliate program.

If you have any suggestions on how I might make our site convert better, let me know and I might let you back in our program if things work out.

Regards,
    Ditz Lighthead
    Affiliate Manager
    thismerchantsucks.com

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Unfortunately our ratings are severely impacted by high amounts of traffic without commissions earned.

YOUR INCOME is severely impacted by high amounts of traffic DRAINED AWAY without commissions earned.

My experience with switching links out to other merchants when this happens has almost always been the same: MORE MONEY ALL OF A SUDDEN.

quote:
    Regards,
    Ditz Lighthead
    Affiliate Manager
    thismerchantsucks.com

Too Funny, Andy

quote:
    Unfortunately our ratings are severely impacted by high amounts of traffic without commissions earned.

While I agree the merchant may be an idiot, I think the real problem is in the way CJ rates merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    Did they remember to turn ON their tracking in the first place?

Yo TT....I'd be happy to take on the challenge of converting your traffic...would you be so kind as to sign up here so I can try?

https://signup.cj.com/member/branded...hantid=1412184

Mark-
    Second Act
    www.secondact.biz

When an affiliate drops a merchant for not-converting, everyone cheers them for being sensible. When a merchant does the same to a non-converting affiliate, they're ridiculed for being stupid. Hmmm...

Let's say I have 10 affiliates and 9 send me traffic that converts at 5% and the tenth sends me traffic that converts at 0.1%. Unless that tenth affiliate is sending so much traffic that I stand to lose a heap of sales, even at that low conversion rate, it makes sense to drop them, increase my EPC and thus be in a better position to attract the big player affiliates to my program.

On the other hand, I think I'd at least talk with the affiliate first to see if we could identify why their traffic doesn't convert half as well as everyone else's - and then see if we can improve the situation before just dumping them.

> if they can't convert it's not your fault

That's symptomatic of the them and us culture that prevails here and isn't helpful. You have some control over the quality of the traffic you send to merchants and thus have an important influence on conversion rates.

It's frightening how many affiliates here immediately blame others for poor performance - it's the tracking, the networks, the parasites, the merchant, Norton etc.

A little bit more self-responsibility wouldn't go astray. Yes, other people make it more difficult, and yes we should press for a level playing field. But this is business folks - get a grip.

(NB- I'm making these comments in general - not pointing a finger specifically at those who contributed to this thread.)

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    ToughTurkey - I like the way you took it in stride! Every time someone drops me - for whatever reason - I take it personally and get mad. Try not to, but I made the links, I chose all the promotional options, so I always feel it's directed at me.

MJCB
    quote:
    it makes sense to drop them, increase my EPC

While I can't speak for other affiliates - I do this for MONEY - not a CJ bar graph. Don't care if it takes one ONE click or a million - as long as I make MONEY.

quote:
    and thus be in a better position to attract the big player affiliates to my program

Ebates is at ebates.com

quote:
    That's symptomatic of the them and us culture that prevails here and isn't helpful.

As long as merchants act like dictators, insensative dweebs and idiots, it WILL be Us vs Them! Soon as they learn the definition of "partner", it will change.

It's 2 in the morning - if that was too strong, I apologize. But just stating I disagree!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    > if they can't convert it's not your fault

That's symptomatic of the them and us culture that prevails here and isn't helpful. You have some control over the quality of the traffic you send to merchants and thus have an important influence on conversion rates. ~MJCB

I'll add big dittos to that. Affiliates CAN do a lot to improve sales--if they know what they are doing. Those who claim otherwise are selling this industry short! The ability of affiliates to improve the Conversion Ratio is one of the reasons merchants can't do just as well by buying a 100,000-hit traffic blast.

That said, there are indeed a few merchants who couldn't sell ice water to traffic that had been stuck in the desert for a week without a canteen. But those are a rarity.

Most merchants will show *some* kind of a CR with interested traffic that has seen some kind of a sales pitch. How much of a CR it'll be varies. The merchant site, prices, etc. are a factor in the variance, but whether the affiliate's pitch is any good (and whether it's appropriate for the audience likely to be seeking the item(s) in question) is a quite large factor, too.

In other words, YES we can positively effect CR (and sometimes bad CR *is* the affiliate's fault)--but there is a small percentage of merchants who are truly beyond hope.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

quote:
    It's 2 in the morning - if that was too strong, I apologize. But just stating I disagree!

No problem with you disagreeing

I wouldn't deny that there are some nasty merchants out there. But the ones I deal with seem like decent folk and I'd certainly consider them partners.

quote:
    Originally posted by Andy:
    Here's the letter they should have sent out:
    quote:
    Dear Affiliate,

I am an Affiliate Manager who has no idea what my job really is, how to do it, or how to fix things when they go wrong. Our program has been underperforming since under my care, and to make my boss think I know what I'm doing, I'm going to get rid of a bunch of affiliates who send us clicks, but no sales. That way I can show my boss I'm being proactive.

I've noticed there seem to be a lot of affiliates who send us clicks with no sales, but I'm sure that's their fault not ours. Perhaps something could be done with our site to make it convert better, but I have no idea what changes should be made because I'm basically an idiot.

Please understand this decision is not a reflection of your site, but is due to my inexperience and lack of knowledge on running an affiliate program.

If you have any suggestions on how I might make our site convert better, let me know and I might let you back in our program if things work out.

Regards,
    Ditz Lighthead
    Affiliate Manager
    thismerchantsucks.com

Andy

That is classic!!!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Hilarious comments and the informative to those needing to "get a clue"...merchants are tasked to sell targeted traffic. I can remember back when Overstock had a old frame style site design and clueless AM where their actual conversion ratio was 1800 clicks to produce one sale. Merchants need to learn the secrets of how to make more with less traffic, before they can rightfully deserve more traffic.

No honest merchant should consider an affiliate program until their site converts general traffic at a steady 1/150 ratio. We all know incented traffic is worthless and that's why the BHO trick was born from the sleezebag junk traffic crew, who should have been thrown out with the CPC script kiddies.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    I can remember back when Overstock had a old frame style site design and clueless AM where their actual conversion ratio was 1800 clicks to produce one sale.

Those kinds of merchant sites are definitely part of the "can't sell water in a desert" ones...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread