I recently signed up with a CJ advertiser to promote their product.

They pay on a per lead basis.

I've sent them quite a bit of traffic in the last week with some conversion.

But by keeping in contact with my website members, I've found out that they haven't received any contact from this website or any approval status of their application, even though on the website it claims that they'd receive an answer within hours.

I tried to find a telephone number at their website to no avail.

I tried contacting them through CJ to no avail

I tried emailing them through their email address to no avail.

I even looked up their domain information and it is all wrong.

I fear that I've been taken and so have my visitors.

What steps should we take to proceed?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You seem to have run into the typical DUPER profile. An affiliate posing as a merchant who borrowed the seed money often from a drop shipper. Phoney and no contact information implies a cut and run plan or some foreigner using a phoney USA front and cooked paperwork to tap the shopping cart information.

CJ sure should be able to investigate this red flag issue for you.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Sounds very fishy!

Depending on what kind of info this "application" requires, it could be anything from a nuisance/badly run merchant (who never updated their whois info) to a police/FBI matter.

Maybe it's the scent of parrot poop (reading too many rants from EcomCity [hitting Refresh, I see he's already posted, too]) but "phishing" is the first thing that comes to mind... worst-case scenario that I can think of is that they're using affiliates to be able to collect info as fast as they can and then using that info for some crooked purpose.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Would you believe they're a loan company collecting private financial data?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The stench of parrot poop is all over this one. Contact your Attorney General's cybercrime as Indentity Theft is their most serious complaint and the loan -credit repair spammers are just the tip of this iceberg.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'll ditto that. This sounds WAY more fishy than the usual dodginess that comes around.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

quote:
    Would you believe they're a loan company collecting private financial data?
    YIKES!

I think I'd pull the links to that site down, and report this to CJ abuse immediately. I'd also let your site viewers who may have contacted them know that you are looking into this company a little bit more, and that they need to be on the lookout for anything fishy. Tell them to document anything they come across.

I know this might sound a bit alarmist, but it's better for you to tell them there might be a problem first, rather than to have one of your members drop the bomb on you. At the very least, they will know you are looking out for their best interests.

Sometimes letting people know you put them first, and might have made a mistake that affects them, makes a great deal of difference in how they'll react later. At the very, very least, get those links down until you determine what this company is up to.

Andy

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I figured out who the merchant is by doing a little research on CJ, and then whois.

Does CJ check merchants? Do a D&B, background check? What's the standard in the industry? Can anyone get into an affiliate program if they write a check for the cost of admission?

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread