The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    We've all rec'd those generic "Affilliation Terminated: We regret to inform you but we've dropped you - feel free to apply to similar merchants" emails.

I always take 'em personally - hey it was my blood sweat and tears that went into the promotions and links.

I removed the merchant within milliseconds of the notice.

Noticed few weeks later he's still listed as one of my merchants. So I email and ask "what's up?"

His response was:

-------------------
    Quite simple, you have not been deleted.

Affiliates that had been with us for some time and had not really sent us any traffic were going to be deleted. (We have a large amount of affiliates.)

I decided not to delete them (read: you) and give you the opportunity put some effort into the [edited to say website].

In a nutshell, you are still active with [us] and I hope that you will be more active in promoting your links with us.

Our top "average guy" affiliate will earn over $20,000.00 this month. He's up to $22,000 something. (I'd have to look to get the exact number.)
    ---------------

I never re-added his links.

I don't like merchants who send those annonymous we dropped you emails without contacting the affiliate beforehand.

Definately don't like merchants who tell you you've been dropped and then don't drop you - and don't tell you this either!

Definately don't like merchants who blame low conversions on affiliates. Our TOS says we can only use the material provide by the merchant.

And definately don't like merchants who quote their best affiliate's sales. EVERY merchant has an aff that for whatever reason makes 10 times more than all other affs. (I'm one of those for at least two merchants!!)

Am I over-reacting or am I justified?

I ask because this merchant just "discovered" ABW and he's here and I have a chance to "talk" to him.

Assuming it's true, and the average merchant's top 10% affiliates generate 90% of their sales, terminating the "under-performing" 90% just seems like thievery to me. Perhaps these pencil-necks are too driven by the CFO to understand the concept of "the network effect".

Cripes, they might even have it mandated as a "revenue earning event". Every 6 months, kill the underperforming 90%, most of whom will not even bother to take the links of their pages, and no one will be the wiser. Hate to sound so cynical, but I have a hard time grok-ing any other meaningful reasons.

Invite him to this thread.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    Am I over-reacting or am I justified?

No, I don't think you're overreacting in the least!

Seeing those that Decline or Terminate me in the Deactivated Advertisers list later brings a unique joy.

Most that do that, DO end up there eventually. I think places that make bad decisions when it comes to accepting affiliates, also make dumb decisions elsewhere throughout their programs. Finally the programs die under the weight of their own stupidity.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Ditto to what Leader said.

Especially the part about seeing the idiots show up in the Deactivated List.

When I receive one of those canned terminate emails, I immediately DeActivate them and remove their links.

That way They don't Terminate Me -- I terminated Them

What Really irks me is being Turned down by an Advertiser and a week or two later get an invitation to join their program. As a rule (and I know sometimes I'm "biting my nose off to spite my face") I Decline their offer.

ABW Ambassador
    I get really upset too when I get terminated. All those links. All that traffic. All that work for nothing.

The way I get over the grief is to switch links to that merchant's closest competitor and bring in sales for them instead.

Oh my gosh! I see myself in all of these posts.

I do take it seriously when I get dropped. I also go in and immediately drop the merchant, followed by a reply to the merchant thanking them for reminding me I needed to DROP THEIR SORRY PROGRAM!

Usually, I've meant to dump them anyway because they aren't worth the real estate, but I never get around to doing it. The notice from them is all the motivation I need!

True to form, they usually end up on the deactivated list at CJ. Deadbeats probably didn't pay their bills or something.

It's nice to know I'm not alone in my rage...

Andy

One of the perks about ABW is that when these things happen, 9 times out of 10, you find out it happened to everybody, and you don't feel so bad.

If I had just put a token link on one site and then crossed my fingers, I'd understand.

But I gave this merchant as much time and coverage as I give all my merchants.

And of all the bizarre things that happen to affiliates, no merchant has ever sent a termination notice followed by a "well, we really didn't drop you" notice. How unprofessional is that!!

I used to pull their pages immedeately. And say good riddens.

Now, I remove all internal links to whatever page on our site deals with them, then on that page I remove everything and I put a google adsesense ad, and at least I make money until google finally drops the page.

Not to go off topic, yes seeing them in the dropped merchant list is sweet revenge.

But do you ever get the "Check your merchant status" email and there's a deactivated merchant who's listed as "Application Pending". That one always makes my day!!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    What really gets me is if it a merchant in bed with parasites!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

quote:
    Originally posted by womanht:
    The way I get over the grief is to switch links to that merchant's closest competitor and bring in sales for them instead.

Ditto what womanht said.

ABW Ambassador
    Years ago when I was new to affiliate marketing I would sometimes take it personally when a merchant decided to send a termination message.

Today, the knowledge of how ignorant alot of merchants are, especially those so rash to sign up with an outfit like Commission Junction, it makes it much more understandable why they make other very stupid decisions as a result of such.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
    "Affiliation Terminated: Am I Overreacting?"

"I removed the merchant within milliseconds of the notice."

"One of the perks about ABW is that when these things happen, 9 times out of 10, you find out it happened to everybody, and you don't feel so bad."
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Billy Kay, welcome to my club of similar instant reactions....

I have no comment but I can mention this link from November 08, 2003 so you see what I meant:

Affiliation Terminated???

History repeat again with another merchant!

Sal.

quote:
    History repeat again with another merchant!

No it didn't! It's the same merchant!!

I purposely didn't mention his name other than to say he just stumbled into ABW and I may invite him to this thread (and yours) so he can see how his decisions affect people first hand!!

he's hangin' ot here:

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...92&m=649103135

[Edited by me to say:} What an idiott I am!! I just read the thread referenced by Mr Sal and guess what? I participated in that thread!

Still stick to my point though: Shi**y move by this AM. And even Shi**ier that he's HERE and doesn't respond. He must know he's a **** and can't think of a response.

Mr Sal, this is where those iframes pay off so well. Since the search engines don't cache the content of the iframe but rather go fetch it each time the cached page is loaded, you can change out the banner with a competitors and instantly every time the googles cached page loads it will have the competitors banner in the hole where the old banner was. No more clicks for the "terminator" anywhere, nada, zilch, Kaput, one dead donkey!
    Mash Your Motor!

Strange to me, in cj system,
    if you get the terminated email,
    you will be dropped automatically a few days later.

You cannot remain in the program
    unless the advertiser perform a second action later to keep you.
    Otherwise you should be out as scheduled.

What a riot. I didn't post then, even though I was one of the affiliates that got dropped then. I'd applied and was in the midst of putting up a toy section (note the dates!). Within 3 weeks of my application acceptance I got that automatic drop notice. Then within two weeks the automatic fishing notice to join them.

I've never reapplied, no matter if they were the only affiliate program on the planet with a particular product. I'd rather not market the product than market it for bozos who would auto drop me within weeks of acceptance and then auto invite me.

Thanks so much for this thread. I've wondered at times whether I'm being too hardnosed about not reapplying when I see a product they carry and I want to market. Now I can rest assured that it's truly a good riddance.
    Video Marketing Success eBook -- co-written by webmarm

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread