when promoting advertisers i follow strict rules that i set myself, for example i dont promote anyone with a cookie of less than 30 days or a chargeback higher than 12%

i dont promote or trust merchants that batch transactions

i also do not promote merchants that in turn rely on other merchants like catalog city or funnymail

do any of you set rules like this for yourselves? what are your rules regarding affiliate marketing?

I dont' really have hard and fast rules, i still believe you need to find merchants that compliment a highly targeted audience.
    (to make any kind of $), unless of course you have the traffic to support it.
    In general,if a merchant is not working after 30 days, bye-bye
    Musical Instruments

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    This is taken directly from the Advertise page on one of my sites:

"This site deals almost exclusively with CommissionJunction merchants/advertisers. CJ.com handles the tracking and payment for all sales/leads generated, and, as a third party, helps to eliminate the conflicts of interest inherent with other tracking solutions.

Merchants at Most other affiliate networks will be considered as well, however, cj.com merchants have a definite advantage.

Other requirements for an ad page at this site, and others in my network of sites, include:

A commission of at least 10% for items which sell for up to $500.00 USD

A commission of at least 5% for good-selling items over $500.00 USD.

The owner (me) must be convinced of the saleability of the item(s) and the stability of the merchant. Items which are not believed to have good potential will not be advertised.

A sale- or lead-based commission structure. Absolutely NO click or CPM deals will be considered!

Leads must pay at least $5.00/lead. Requirements must be straightforward and REASONABLE.

I must be allowed to click my own links for purchases! NO exceptions! A sale is a sale!

The merchant must also pass my own anti-fraud criteria, as well as CJ's. For obvious reasons, I cannot list these anti-fraud criteria."

Those mentions of cj.com are links on the actual page, of course--a New Merchant Signup would be a nice tip!

I was rather frustrated after looking at a bunch of dud new merchants, and getting spams from other duds, so I went ahead and made that 0-spin, tell-it-like-it-is page!

By "other tracking solutions" having conflicts of interest (first paragraph of my Terms), I am referring to private deals, not other affiliate networks.

And no, I really won't list all my anti-fraud criteria (merchants read these boards, too, and some are sure to be crooks)!

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

Cool, Leader. Any merchants knocking down the virtual doors to get ads on your sites yet? I like it, I like it.

Actually, yes, there are a few interested parties, but I don't think they saw that page (never know though...the log files showed that somebody besides me looked at it!).

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Is it true that most so called "super affiliates" are really just affiliates poosing as merchants on these networks. I see several merchants e-mail posting their top 5-10 affiliates for the month and they all seem to be incentive type sites with their own affiliate program. None pay worth a crap but suck the traffic out of the pool of smaller affiliates who don't know their game and monitize the little guys traffic into their own pockets. Much like the scumware vendors.

Must be why we don't hear much from them on these boards or they post anonomously along with the scheming merchants. We should probably roast a few of these guys along with the bad merchants if we're going to be honest and open. Might be actual affiliates hiding under the scummiest of rocks...also feeding the spamm pools since most real e-tailers play fair.

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

I've seen the same thing. When CyberGold was something, many times I would see them listed as the "top affiliate" of one of my merchants or another. Then there's T Shirt News who got a few "top" mentions of their own...

Occasionally I see what looks like a real name but that's probably somebody who just didn't put his site as the name on his affiliate account (but it's most likely just another one of those merchaffiliates).

I avoid merchants with "stupid rules" which is basically anything I consider stupid like you can't order through your own links.

Network EPC of $10 or greater.
    I do have some that are less than that, but they are converting greater than 10 EPC on my sites. Once they fall below 10 EPC, they are subject to removal as soon as I can find a suitable replacement.

Merchants that change their affiliate program frequently. Those merchants that are constantly "tweaking" their affiliate program typically have an idiot running it and they are just trying to figure out how to screw the affiliate. First sign of silly tweaking (ie dropping cookies from 45 to 30 days for no reason), it is time to start looking for a replacement. It is only a matter of time before a merchant like this totally screws up their affiliate program.

Watch Your Own Numbers.
    I give up predicting which merchants will do the best because it is hard to tell which ones are going to defraud you. I look at my stats and the merchants that are converting the best and making the most money for me, get additional Ad space. Poor performers are replaced. I have probably replaced some decent merchants due to tracking problems, but I don't have the time to figure out if CJ is screwing me or the merchant. They each will blame each other anyways, so drop them and move on. If I really like the merchant, I may just pull all the great placements of their ads until the problem gets fixed, but rarely would a merchant that I had to yank for poor performance or tracking issues ever get prime ad placement back.

Bottom line
    Stupid rules - Out
    Poor Performer - Out
    Reverses many Transactions - Out
    Extends Transactions - Out

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread