ABW Ambassador
    The following post has been approved by Trey Gardner from iPowerWeb.
    --------------------------------------
    Hi guys, I have been talking on the phone with Trey Gardner, the Affiliate Manager for iPowerWeb about the tracking issue related to the windows hosting product.

He told me to post the summary to the forum in order to reach all affiliates, because he is pretty busy and I have no problem summarizing the main points...

1 - We agreed that iPowerWeb has been a leader in the hosting affiliate program category since the very beggining, not only setting highest commissions but setting higher rates as the industry standard. They kept an ongoing very high EPC with a best seller hosting product.
    As they grow up in volume they kept rates growing instead of lowering them.

2 - Trey is not only the man behind the CJ program, but also commands the reseller and internal afiliate program, as well as other programs related to the hosting industry, All programs reached success, but sometimes, some things may get held or not updated temporarily, this is not due to intentional issues, in fact Trey was not aware of the TERMS and those TERMS were designed even before he got into the company.

3 - As I agreed with previous 1 & 2, and I think that the non-tracking issue was not intentional, I told him that because of the TERM made affiliates believe that windows hosting was not excluded as commissionable, affiliates deserved a compensation for those non-tracked windows hosting sales.

He agreed that from an purely formal or legal point of view a compensation was correct because of the TERM.

From a personal or ethical point of view He also agreed that would be a nice action to compensate the Windows hosting sales for the time-frame that the TERM was not updated, although that was because of a mistake (TERM not being updated) and they never intended to pay commissions on that product. (They have bussines reasons that have been already stated, the product was a loss leader).

In fact he offered my the compensation for the windows sales up to june 1st, but I got no sales before and I wanted a fair for all resolution, so I asked him to make a global compensation for ALL affiliates, because that's what I wanted and that would show iPowerWeb as a very responsible company even responsible for their own mistakes even when they are paying more commissions than every other hosting company.

He said that He "would love to" but there is no way to compensate the afiliates for the windows sales not reported in the last 6 months, because of technical reasons that make impossible to figure out who sold those windows sales or which clicks leaded to a sale.

Later on he detailed some facts based on an aswer to Kip member...
    quote:

1. There was no tracking on those windows accounts.

2. Because we have affiliates who do more sales than others, those affiliates would want a larger cut of the amount for any contribution. This brings up another issue in that the affiliates who do not provide sales would not welcome the fact that some other would benefit more than they as they may feel that even though they do less sales, the potential that they made a sale ( they could argue ) due to the fact that the tracking did not work, should entitle them to the same amount that everyone else gets.

3. If we base this off of volume of clicks there are publishers who drive huge amounts of clicks with no sales and those that drive huge clicks with many sales. But since the tracking did not work those that drove huge clicks could argue that they may have made a sales & are entitled to the larger benefits due to potential even if their clicks are worthless or fraudulent.

4. Then because we have a 120 day cookie those that have low clicks or high clicks could argue that they should benefit & not only benefit since January but also moving through the next 4 months of Windows sales.

Unfortunately long story short I do not know of any equitable way to satisfy all affiliates. Using your scenario of 50 to 1 those affiliates who are in the program & who make less than 50 sales ( or no sales at all ) might feel slighted toward those that benefit due to high sales. If we use Fer's scenarion of 5% ( or less than 5% really as the windows accounts are less than 5% ) - due to the issues above this would not be fair as I told him. Also since January we have increased our commission from $65 to $80 which is in effect a 23% increase anyway - so hopefully our affiliate partners will feel that that may balance the whole windows issue.

I do feel badly about this whole issue but I am really stuck about what I can do about it other than just move forward as best we can.

To be very clear in the ethical bussines side, I asked him if he would compensate all affiliates for the missing windows sales if he had the information, and he answered that he would do it, and that if anyone has at least information on his own previous windows sales they can contact him in order to get the credit on those.
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

ABW Ambassador

(Went down fast. Just in case someone missed it)
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

quote:
    He told me to post the summary to the forum in order to reach all affiliates, because he is pretty busy

Too much of a big shot to come here and post for the lowly affiliates, himself, eh.

How do we get to be gig shots like that?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Moral of the story. Don't do Windows hosting - the extra costs involved make it too difficult to make money from.

ABW Ambassador
    That's just weak. Trey should have posted this himself and handled some questions and maybe sent an email to his affiliates explaining stuff, but i realize that's not reality.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread