Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Will this topic satisfy your lame guidelines for relevancy?

Anyone out there know of some relatively easy ways to increase google "page rank"?
    I'm not talking about rank for specific key words in google, but rather google's "page rank" for a specific page. If you have played with google's advanced tool bar, you will know what I'm talking about.

Ofcourse, I have some ideas, but want to be careful that I don't piss off the googlebot. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Peter Kirby replied:

If you have good content, e-mail webmasters with related sites and request a link.
    If you want to improve your chances, let the webmasters know that you have linked to them first on a Links page.

Also, I am a dmoz editor, and I put all of my sites in my bookmarks. It's a PageRank of 5.

--------------------

Peter Kirby http://aimingpoint.com/

Then Big Chuck Asked:

Peter,
    I submitted a site dmoz.org recently and the editor still hasn't listed it. How long does it normally take? Will they email me a confirmation?

--------------------

Big Chuck
    The Coupon Guy

Then Webmistress asked:

Hey Peter Kirby,
    Do you put only your sites that are relevant to your categories in your bookmarks? My category is tiny and not relevant to any of my sales sites. And do you link only to the site or to separate pages? Oh, my this is the juiciest new tidbit in a while!
    TIA,
    webmistress

Thanks Peter.
    I used to do that, but have been slacking lately and many of the sites I have traded links with no longer exist. I suppose it's time to get back at it again.

Would posting links in message boards and guest books help too (posting in ones that google already indexes ofcourse).

I think you need to try and get links on pages that have a decent page rank. If a links page has a page rank of 1, then that link isn't going to be as valuable as a link from a page with a page rank of 5.

I suppose I can hunt down related sites with links pages with decent page rank and then try and trade with those.

CK,

I have invited Doug Edwards SR VP of Google to do a Q&A after he returns from vacation. As such our "lame" guidelines for post relevancy are "justified" ... It was my plan, after midnight to move the google topics with a note that they were moved.

I am sorry that the "early" move offended you ... We will try to run a tighter ship!

Respectfully,

Haiko

Then Moderator Leader said:

Peter...
    1st, do you mean a bookmark equals a link with a site with a PageRank of 5?

2nd, how in the heck can Google tell whether you bookmarked it or not?

Alladvantage.com still has a page rank of 7 and they have been gone for over a year. That would be a nice domain name to get. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Then Cazzie asked:

How do you find out what your page rank is?
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Then Peter Kirby Replied:

I wasn't expecting this much of a response! :-)
    Big Chuck said:

"I submitted a site dmoz.org recently and the editor still hasn't listed it. How long does it normally take? Will they email me a confirmation?"

If you submitted your site to the 'Gnosticism' or 'Early Christian Writings' categories, your site would have been reviewed in less than three days. Those are my categories right now, and I keep on top of things.

However, many editors are way behind, either because they lost interest in maintaining their categories or they have a high volume of submissions without enough help in their categories. I think it is polite to give an editor two weeks to review your site. After two weeks are up, e-mail the editor(s) of the most specific category (maybe the same cat or maybe one cat up or two cats up, depending) about your submission. Be courteous, and that might wake a slumbering editor. After another week, e-mail the editor(s) at the next highest level. Proceed to do this until you get a response. Always keep in mind, though, that the editors are volunteers not getting compensated for their efforts.

I have only once gotten an e-mail confirmation from a page submitted to dmoz. I never myself have given an e-mail confirmation. To find out if you're listed, do a search at dmoz.org for your URL. Note that the partner sites will take two to four weeks or more to update to the new DMOZ data, so check dmoz.org itself.

If you are genuinely interested in building the directory and trust yourself to be objective, try digging up three other good unlisted sites in your category and apply to become an editor. You can add your own site, as long as you don't start mucking with other sites in your category.

Webmistress said:

"Do you put only your sites that are relevant to your categories in your bookmarks? My category is tiny and not relevant to any of my sales sites. And do you link only to the site or to separate pages? Oh, my this is the juiciest new tidbit in a while!"

No, actually, it doesn't matter if your categories are related to the sites in your DMOZ bookmarks. In fact, your category pages are not linked to your bookmark pages, so far as I can tell. I can find only one link that goes to my bookmark page, and that is this one: http://dmoz.org/Bookmarks/G/

Eventually, I should link to every single web page that I have. However, since I have about 500 web pages, I have not completed this task yet. So far I have only linked to pages that I specifically wish to improve the PageRank for. But rumor has it that Google calculates a PageRank for an entire site/domain, so links to your sub-pages might improve your rank for your main page as well as for the sub-pages. Also, the more links that are on your bookmarks page, the more stuff that Google has to match against in order to determine relevancy.

Commission King said:

"I used to do that, but have been slacking lately and many of the sites I have traded links with no longer exist. I suppose it's time to get back at it again."

Reciprocal links are my #1 source of traffic for my content pages. They are the best!

CK: "Would posting links in message boards and guest books help too (posting in ones that google already indexes ofcourse)."

It probably helps if Google determines that these pages are relevant to your own page.

CK: "I think you need to try and get links on pages that have a decent page rank. If a links page has a page rank of 1, then that link isn't going to be as valuable as a link from a page with a page rank of 5."

Mostly I ask for links from places of rank 4 and up.

CK: "I suppose I can hunt down related sites with links pages with decent page rank and then try and trade with those."

Don't forget that the links themselves bring in traffic, not just PageRank!

Leader wrote:

"1st, do you mean a bookmark equals a link with a site with a PageRank of 5?"

I mean that my DMOZ Bookmarks page has a PageRank of 5.

"2nd, how in the heck can Google tell whether you bookmarked it or not?"

DMOZ Bookmarks pages are publically viewable. Here is my URL: http://dmoz.org/Bookmarks/G/gnosticus/

Cazzie said:

"How do you find out what your page rank is?"

If you've been listed in DMOZ for a while (a few months), drill down to the appropriate category in the Google Directory and your page rank will be displayed along with your site.

That's the hard way. The easy way is to download the Google toolbar for MS Internet Explorer here: http://toolbar.google.com/

The Google Toolbar is the only thing that forced me to stop using Netscape Navigator. :-)

--------------------

Peter Kirby http://aimingpoint.com/

You can find out page rank by installing the google toolbar at http://toolbar.google.com/
    "Page Rank" will be displayed on the toolbar for each page that you visit.
    I think it is only available in the advanced version, so when it asks you which one you want select it.

You can turn it on and off just like your other tool bars.

Page Rank is the measure of how important that google thinks your page is regardless of what key words you are trying to target.

Page Rank appears to be a measure not simple the number of sites that link to your page, but the quality of those pages in terms of page rank. If you had a direct link from yahoo.com pointing to your site, your page rank would be high with just one link, because yahoo.com has a page rank of 10 and a zillion links pointing to it.
    Getting a link on a page with a page rank of 5 would be better than getting several links from pages with a page rank of 1. I also hear the more links that are on the page that is pointing to yours the less import google views that link. (ie link farms aren't going to help you much).

If you want to try and get a #1 ranking on google for keywords "Product XYZ", then search for that term on google. Check the page ranks of the top 3 listings. If you can beat their "page rank", then all you basically have to do is include "Product XYZ" in your title and a few times on your page and bingo, you should be #1 or close to it. It's hard to figure out all of the googlebot's secrets, but the above theory seems to work well. If you can't beat their page rank, then chances are you aren't going to get to #1. If you can't beat #10's page rank, then you might want to consider targeting a related key phrase that you can get into the top 10 and then work to improve your page rank.

Ofcourse ways to improve your page rank is what we are debating here. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Then Cazzie asked:

If I am understanding this right, You have to be listed in the dmoz to get a page rank? Also it is my understanding that a site like my shopping directory, is not allowed in the dmoz. Is that correct?
    Thanks
    cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Cazzie,
    No you don't have to be in dmoz to get a page rank. "Page Rank" is a google thing.
    All pages in google's directory have a "page rank".
    You can see your page rank from dmoz as described above or simply download the google toolbar.

Getting listed in dmoz will help your "page rank".
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Reposting my prior post

-----------------------------

CK,
    I have invited Doug Edwards SR VP of Google to do a Q&A after he returns from vacation. As such our "lame" guidelines for post relevancy are "justified" ... It was my plan, after midnight to move the google topics with a note that they were moved.

I am sorry that the "early" move offended you ... We will try to run a tighter ship!

Respectfully,

Haiko

Well now that we added CJ to the title, I hope you are satisfied at won't continue to confuse people by moving topics are:
    A) Relevant to making money on CJ
    B) Were commonly discussed on the CJ Boards
    C) Of interest to CJ publishers

CK,

If you were a Sr VP at google ... would you search a forum of less than 300 for google or would you go straight to the building traffic forum?

Yes, the move was done early but I ask that you not be a disgruntle and curtail your anger, As I hope you can understand the justification thereof, although, as mentioned, early. I have "worked" on google for over three weeks and I am sure that ALL here will agree that a move of a topic would be worth real info from the source!

Respectfully,

Haiko

Haiko,

Do you think that people that come to the CJ board for tips on CJ and increasing their commissions are really going to read through all of your other boards and all of the posts on them? Just like the CJ boards, most only posted on 1 or 2 boards. Moving the topic does not help CJ publishers which is what I thought this board was about.

This is not to say there isn't going to be overlap of topics as you should expect alot of overlap given the board topics you have. Are you going to move every post that mentions CJ on another board to this board?

I would hope that you would leave the post where it orginated so those that were participating in it could continue to do so.

If you felt a need to also have a thread of similar topic on another board for the Sr VP at google, you could have simply started a new thread there and not disrupt the one going here.

CK,

The movement of that particular thread and google related threads would only be for marketing purposes as I stated. It may not have been a wise decision by me to move it nor of Quiet777 to move it early but it was an "A Best Web" to Google marketing decision, I still stand behind it, but I do apologize for any confusion that was or will be caused by it. There will always be an overlap of topics .... and 99% we will allow. It harms no one and allows for continuity of the forum / thread for members.

I will speak with my fellow moderators to see the best options we have and what it best for all of us [affiliates] for that IS and always WILL be the only purpose for A Best Web.

Respectfully,

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    King,

This is such a non issue. The owner of the board felt that the topic would be better served in another part of the forum. They always have the right to delete any post at their pleasure.

BTW...Yes, a link from a page with a higher page rank for relevancy means more to google than just the number of links and your optimization. The one question that I have though is that if you look at some of the sites that have number one listings, the amount of "content" is limited but linkpop is high. I am wondering if the link from the high page rank sites carries more weight than what is actually on the site?

Mike :confused:

Affiliate King,

They can play hide and seek with the posts if they want, but Homey don't play that game.
    If I posted about my burger I ate at Burger King, then maybe it would be warranted. Just look at all the off topic posts on the other boards if you use the same criteria!

Anyways, I will always include CJ in my posts just make sure they don't get confused.

Back to your question, I have heard that Page Rank is paramount in getting good rankings on google. If you have good page rank, then all you have to do is have the Key Words in your title and on your page, and you should be able to beat most anyone with substantial content and lower page rank.

Google seems to use a complex algorythm for ranking and seems to do a good job. Rumor has it that google gives weight to the words that are used to link to a page too.

For example, take 2 sites that are identicle.

Both have just one link pointing to it.

Site 1, the links Says "Inkjet Cartridges for Sale" Site 2 the link point to it says "Joe's Printer Supplies".

When you search google for "inkjet cartridges", site 1 would show up higher because it should be more relevant based on the words used to link to it.

Ofcourse, this is something to think about when trading links. You may want to ask for your key words to be hyperlinked and not your site name. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

CK,

quote:
    They can play hide and seek with the posts if they want, but Homey don't play that game.

We not attempting to play any game ... I have apologized for the early move by a moderator and I hope that you accept it (although you don't have to agree with it) the reasoning behind it. I think we have both voiced our opinions on the issue. My only hope is that you will do as I and that is leave this issue for now ... I mean my Yankees are lost [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Respectfully,

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    King,

I agree with what you say regarding Google. I think in the end someone could take a string of sites using a couple of them as content site and build the others as revenue sites all related to the content site with high linkpop and with the high page rank from the content sites could blow anyone away. Wow, who would have thought that reality in a good listing may have nothing to do with your site other than your name and the keywords your pushing for.

Google may be creating their own relevancy issues by encouraging this as each webmaster would have to basically keyword spam in some respects to aid the site's rank. Too Funny.

Mike [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Haiko,

We have a thread in each place, so everyone should be happy now. Who knows, you may even get different questions in each ones, as people in the CJ board are going to be more interested in increasing page rank on affiliate pages and those in the other board may be more interested in increasing page rank for raw traffic or other purposes.

Mike,

quote:
    I think in the end someone could take a string of sites using a couple of them as content site and build the others as revenue sites all related to the content site with high linkpop and with the high page rank from the content sites could blow anyone away.

I absolutly think this is true. Yahoo, could blow most anyone away with a single link from their main page to a revenue page with whatever keyword they want. But Yahoo isn't going to put a link on their main page that says "Inkjet Cartridges" and then point it to a lingerie page. You can bet that a link from their main page is going to be relevant.

Google's page rank and relevancy algorythm seems to be based on the premise that someone isn't going to hyperlink "Inkjet Cartridges" and point it to a non relevant page. Even if they did, the googlebot will figure this out and therefore not give the link much weight. The link and the content need to match.

Also it is going to be hard to get high page rank and relevancy for say the term InkJet Cartridges, if your site doesn't have them. You may get good page rank, but if your site isn't relevant, you probably won't do well.

Also, thou googlebot is a mighty smart little fellar. I don't think you can fool the googlebot for too long as it gets smarter everyday.

If you had a computer or printer site with good page rank, you should be able to do well with related subsites. This can actually be good for you too, because, it will prevent new sites with unrelated content from getting ahead of you in the google rankings. For them they would have to have both page rank and relevant content to beat you which would be difficult for a new site (except a new yahoo owned site).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast