I have done some extensive research regarding Norton and its effects to sales.

Norton does not effects sales:
    If your site is made up of nothing but network links there is nothing to see and so no sales are effected.

If your site is choppy – only bits and pieces show the normal consumer reaction is to disable the web protection to enable them to view the website.

Even though more computers are loaded with Norton the consensus of the software is:

Per PC Magazine
    MEMBER RATINGS

MrPK
    Member rating:
    May 12, 2004

Faithful norton user who was happy with last version. Clearly these reviewers must be on the take or something - "by a wide margin" - please! This took several reinstalls just to get working, it slows my machine down as noted by other reviewers, and some features are not optional. This pie is not fully baked folks. Stick with the last version.

ftlbaby
    Member rating:
    April 4, 2004

I have given up on nis2004. When auto-protect is enabled the computer slows down so much as to be unusable. I don't understand how this product can win an editor's choice award.

espen
    Member rating:
    March 27, 2004

NIS 2004. Multiple error messages during installation using default installation on Win98se. Antivirus ok, which is god in these virusflooded days, BUT ! Browsing www has now dropped from speeds of usually 300 - 400 to 2 - 10. Read every FAQ and knowledgebase at Symantec, but of no help to mee. If possible downgrade, or go elsewhere.

Read More Reviews.
    http://www.pcmag.com/member_ratings/...=111303,00.asp

Summary:

Make sure your site is developed well and run within a database structure so the program reassigns the URLS. Do not make a site that is completely built with Network links. Norton may scare a lot of people, but its all in the way you develop a site that wins “at least for now”.

Almost forgot to add:

When Norton does disable your banners, if you make sure the banners have alt text filled in, it could encourage the Norton user to disable the web protector!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by SandraR:
    When Norton does disable your banners, if you make sure the banners have alt text filled in, it could encourage the Norton user to disable the web protector!

There is a simple trick to have Norton avoid all your banner too.

Ok KCEdit,

I have beaten Norton on many levels. I always tell what I have learned ----- So dish it out.

Cloak and Dagger is not a good way to be.

Fess up ----- tell all you know!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Sandra,

Thanks, every day I learn something new!

All my network banners have alt txt that say "Promotional Advertisement" - I'll be changing that!!!!

KCEdit,

Spill the beans!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    How do you reassign urls and still get them to track?

Within my database I add the image impression URL. CJ can track only those that are not blocked by Norton. To accomplish an accurate account I track with my own tracing software.

ABW Ambassador
    Almost forgot about this thread.

Okay Sandra, I looked at one of your sites. What you doing for the banner is the right way. That's what I was talking about.

For those who are interested on how Norton ad blocking works:
    One of the ways Norton detects whether a page has any banner is to look for images with standard size like 468x60, 120x60, 125x125 etc. Now you can beat Norton pretty easily, if you do not use a banner with is known to be a standard banner size, e.g., 469x61, 124x125 etc. One pixel increase or reduction will not distort the image, but Norton will ignore them.

Norton identifies ad links (text or image) if it sees that the domain is ad or affiliate network. So write a simple script which replaces a dummy domain with the real one. For example, let's say your link is from CJ. So the URl is http://www.qksrv.net/click-12345-67890. Your script call will be like: Redirect.asp("http://provider1/click-12345-67890"). Inside the script, just replace "provider1" with "www.qksrv.net" and redirect. Norton does not catch it. For Linkshare, use "provider2" and replace appropriate Linkshare domain name, and so on. You can do this with any database. This will work fine will Norton and some other ad blockers, but not with Kazaa Lite, because Kazaa Lite modifies the hosts file and inserts wrong (localhost) IP addresses for all major networks.

so if I modify the banner size label by a pixel I have a better chance of the banner being seen?

It seems silly but its true. If you intend on setting the size attributes.

set a 468x60
    to 467x59

Same with the other banner sizes

ABW Ambassador
    That's it, for real? That's easy enough.

ABW Ambassador
    It is REAL.

Do not tell too many people, otherwise Norton will block that too.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread