I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Well, I was setting up some links to some of the merchants in the CJ -> Web Services -> Search Engine category.

Let's take a look at a couple of the offers...

FindWhat.com

"For each new advertiser who opens and funds a FindWhat.com account with an initial $50.00 deposit, you will receive a $10.00 payment."

Hmmm. Findwhat's minimum deposit is $25.00. How many new accounts do you think would sign up and pay twice the minimum deposit? Have any existing findwhat affiliates out there been paid a commission on an account funded to $25 ???

Search123.com

"Therefore, if you refer an advertiser to our service, who deposits at least $50.00, you get $25.00."

Same problem here. Search123.com's minimum deposit is $25. I'd wager 95% of their new customers would pay the minimum to try out their product.

So is search123.com only paying out to affiliates for the customers who deposit twice the minimum (or more)?

Any current affiliates (or affiliate managers) care to comment?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Strait up. Both these 2 PPCSE's are in chahoots with most all the searchbar BHOs to drain any size account with marginal quality traffic. Those seeking to promote these two would also stoop to pushing Gator/Clara/searchscout, WhenU and 180Solutions onto their visitors machines. That way they get paid 2 infestation fees to sooth their greedy minds.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What a lousy *&^*& ripoff!

I'd say those terms of FindWhat and Search123 definitely qualify as terms designed to avoid paying commissions!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Two more good examples of how "honest" merchants treat their affiliates. No doubt about it, they don't want to pay affiliate commissions, they want free traffic and sign ups from affiliates. That's it.

WHAT A SCAM!

Andy

Am I the only one that finds an element of humor in this? No doubt, they have had people sign up and even promote their programs. A sucker is born every minute.

Another quality merchant scam brought to you by the fine folks at CJ who always want to see affiliates make money. And, don't forget CJ only makes money if you do!

What a crock!

Hilarious!

CJ, CJ, CJ what kind of bull will you offer affiliates next? Are you scraping the bottom, yet?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

It seems like we've opened up Pandora's Box with the network scams this week, doesn't it? First the deliberate commenting out of CJ tracking by a certain web host who didn't disclose they wouldn't pay commissions on certain items until they were caught;

Then the affiliate contest scam over at LS where the winning affiliate was deliberately violating LS TOS and contest TOS, got caught, got documented, and LS acted like they couldn't duplicate it;

And now we see yet another quality CJ merchant taking advantage by making sure very few affiliates would be paid any commissions due to the way their minimums are established. What dolt is going to automatically upgrade to a higher level in the beginning? Unless there's a special incentive to do so, not many.

Yes indeed the two big affiliate networks have certainly been caught with their pants down and their hands in the cookie jar this week. And this is just the tip of the iceberg!

Trusted third party my

We'd do better with Enron or WorldCom's former accounting people looking out for us!

Andy

Internet Cowboy
    Two words to say on this topic.....Publisher Expired!
    They are both Overture wannabees anyway.
    That's what I love about ABW.
    Drewbert gets the Sleuth award!!
    Thanks Drewbert.

To add to the irony, Search123.com is a ValueClick company ... just like CJ is. Maybe the commissionable terms are actually different and it's just what's being displayed that hasn't changed?

Brian
    revenews.com

I like traffic lights
    Yeah. I'm hoping that it's just the wording of their blurb that makes it LOOK like they only pay out for certain deposit amounts.

What would be nice is if the AM's of those two programs could give us the good oil, or maybe Todd can get someone from CJ to find out exactly what the story is and pst it here?

In this case, I'd like to adopt an innocent until proven guilty stance.

I like traffic lights
    Hmmm.

Sending email to the findwhat affiliate manager via the email listed on the CJ website BOUNCES.

That's not a good sign.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    :muttering: I suppose it could be argued that affiliates who play by the rules are being screwed by pretty much everybody.

And yet...I'm tired of being screwed by corporate America, so I live with it.

I like traffic lights
    Just got word from the horses mouth. THe affiliate manager at FindWhat confirmed with me by email that findwhat does NOT pay out on all leads coming to it through CJ. They only pay out if the customer deposits $50 or more.

The minimum deposit is $25. (not mentioned in the CJ program)

Their "incentive" to get people to deposit $50 is to add an extra $5 to the depositers account.

Whoopie.

Todd, I really think CJ needs to change their merchant T&C to ensure the merchant doesn't hide things like this.

I would call it a deceptive practice.

Surely right!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Andy:

We'd do better with Enron or WorldCom's former accounting people looking out for us!

I would not be surprised to learn of VCLK scooping up Enron execs and accountants. I can imagine the interview:

"You stole what from whom? You got away with that!!!! Wow!!!!! do you think you can do the some of that account shuffling magic for our affiliate program?"

I like traffic lights
    Well, I have some good news in the matter.

I've heard back from search123.com and they have confirmed that they do indeed pay out on all sign-up's, even minimum deposit ones.

So we're only being screwed by FindWhat.

I'm suggesting to Seach123.com that they re-word their blurb at CJ to make it clear they're cool.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread