Hi all,
    I am a new member in affiliate field, recently I apply to join CJ to become a merchant, but they reply say no, because my site is not old enough(7 month of selling history), and they only want brand name merchant. I was shocked when I read it, and because this is my first time applying join a affiliate network, I really don't know if this is normal or not, if it's true, for those who are affiliates of CJ, are you only see name brand merchant there?
    because of their high minmum commission, and setup fee, I have prepared this for about a month before I click sign up, I feel really sad about this, could you tell me what should I do ? how much "sale histore" they need ? what level of "name brand" is good for them ?

Thank you, and "hello" to everyone...

Phil,

Phil,

I am not sure which site you are wanting to promote but (as the VP Sales) I can tell you that we are highly selective of new advertisers mainly because we get so many applications and only want to launch programs that will provide the most value to our network of affiliates.

We have found that in order for a business to have a successful affiliate program they need to know what works and what doesn't when it comes to converting traffic into sales. Since affiliates only get paid when sales or leads occur, it is important that your business model is sorted out proir to launching an affiliate program.

We usually look at your brand (yes, stronger brands do better), your products or services (how great of a demand is there for them), your site layout (will customers find it appealing), your offer and finally how comeptetive is your business model (i.e. how many other programs like yours are there).

All this adds up to a yes or no.

We usually suggest you begin with some keyword search buys in Yahoo, Google, etc. and then try your hand at running a smaller affiliate program via ShareASale or ClickXChange. Afterwards, we can re-evaluate your site based on more realistic data in order to determine if launching a program at CJ will work.

I hope this helps.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

I agree with Todd on this one, check out ShareASale, you won't be disappointed
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Absolutely go to SAS. When you are big, don't forget who your friends were when you were small.

If you aren't good enough for them now, they shouldn't be good enough for you later!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Hello Todd..If i come out with a site which contains products that are quite in demand, even then , would you suggest me that i should gain prior experiance before i submit i site to you , though i have good amount of experaince of handling my in house affiliate programs in other domains.Kindly explain.

quote:
    Todd wrote:
    We have found that in order for a business to have a successful affiliate program they need to know what works and what doesn't when it comes to converting traffic into sales.
    Uh, Todd, there are quite a few current CJ merchants who can't and don't convert, nor have they done so in the past. A quick check of EPCs and trends will show who they are.

Why are they allowed to remain in the network? Especially since no improvement is noted, even years later?

Andy

quote:
    want to launch programs that will provide the most value to our network of affiliates.
    quote:
    there are quite a few current CJ merchants who can't and don't convert,

Wanting is one thing. Doing is another.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Thank you everyone's respons.
    I just got their reply back, and basicly saying the same thing as Todd tole me, they want me to try small network first to see if it works for me before I spend a lot of money on them. which sounds reasonable, however I still don't agree about the name brand concept, bigger brands will do better.... it's kind of not fear for starting company.
    Anyway, I will try to join those "small" network first to see if everything works.
    I wish it works, and able to have them re-evaluate soon.

Thanks everyone.

Phil

and Phil definately hang around ABW! And hi!
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    If you aren't good enough for them now, they shouldn't be good enough for you later! ~Ssanf

In general, I heartily agree with this!

I do think, though, that some of the points Todd brought up are good to consider for starting an aff. program.

quote:
    your products or services (how great of a demand is there for them), your site layout (will customers find it appealing), your offer and finally how comeptetive is your business model (i.e. how many other programs like yours are there).

Notice I left off that part about brand. That's because I generally disagree with that part--I find that people are more likely to buy things online when they CAN'T just go to the corner store and get them. Often, that the successful program is the one that doesn't have *too* big of a brand even if it's not utterly obscure.

But the points that I did quote--competitiveness, professional appearance, etc., those are indeed big factors for a program's success.

Some programs just never will be "ready for the country." They have things that don't have wide appeal, or, on the other extreme, there's 10,000,000 sites already trying to sell the same thing.

And yes, site design is important for the merchant. Much more important than it is for affiliate sites!

At an affiliate site, a lot of people seem to give it more credibility if it does NOT look like it was made by some slick marketing organization. Those people seem to assume that Marketing companies will say just about anything in order to make a sale, so trust a recommending site more if it does NOT look like it's from Madison Avenue.

But things are a lot different for merchants. It's at the merchant site, that the customer decides whether to trust the place with their credit card number, whether they think the order will go through without screwups, and where they decide whether to believe whatever the affiliate has told them. So the merchant site has to have that shiny professional look, because for merchants that's associated with efficiency and competence instead of slick marketing.

So even though my first response is the same as Ssanf's (that I quoted), I do think those things Todd mentioned are very much worth considering. And actually, they're worth considering no matter which network a merchant goes with. At SAS the fees are small enough that a merchant may make money *in spite of* negatives, but that doesn't mean that the negatives shouldn't be eliminated when possible.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread