quote:
    On July 1, 2004, eBay will be raising commission rates by up to 100% and issuing a new set of Terms and Conditions. Details on these changes along with the exciting launch of eBay's API tier for affiliates will be provided in next week's monthly newsletter. eBay is conscious that recent changes to our program have made earning attractive commissions challenging and so we wanted to be aggressive with our price changes to reward your continuing dedication to our program.

I just got that e-mail too... I am floored :-)

Brian

Translation..."we really screwed up our affiliate channel when we changed our terms and we are losing sales big time. Please forgive us...here's a little somthin' to help you to forget how we treated you."

Unless they are going to change things back to the way they were, I'd say the damage is done.

Ummmm... you're missing the "up to" immediately prior to the "100%". As written, their announcement could could easily mean that they're doubling the commissions for the highest tier of earners, and cutting everyone else's in half.

The devil is in the details. We'll find out on the 30th.

Cynically yours,

-Dan
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

100% of nothing is still nothing. My Active Registrations are down this month so far by over 95%, so doubling them will still have me operating at a huge loss over this time a year ago.

The only way this change will be good is if eBay stops doing business with software apps that overwrite affiliate cookies, and starts honestly paying affiliates for sales initiated on their sites. Basically, just undo the changes made during the previous months.

Andy

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Personally, it just seems to me they have spent too much time figuring out how to minimize payments to affiliates. So, I'm taking the cynical route as well. ebay.com's 3 month EPC the other day was 0.61 .
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    They do not want to pay for sales but only for new customers and get the free sales from registered customer affiliate sales.

What will they do when everyone get registered? Release all the affiliates to drive SALES to another merchant? Like I have already done? LATE!

eBay YOU are SLOOOOOOOOWW on this, you are dissapointing thousands every day!
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

I have had my first day (so far) wihtout a single red transaction from ebay!!!!!!!

WOOOHOO>

They've even locked one - in black - £0.00 registration..
    Cool?

I think that Locked Registration might actually be a reversal. They're saying it wasn't yours, it belonged to someone else, so they reversed it from your account and Locked it.

I'm pretty sure that's what that means. But then again, there've been so many Corrected and Locked transactions from eBay lately, it's hard to keep up with them all!

CJ's servers must be very busy lately processing all the eBay garbage.

Andy

Ten cent reversals instead of five cent reversals! Woo hoo!

And let's not forget the splendor and glory of doubled $0.00 registrations! Let's see, what's zero times two...

I don't use them but I want to offer my fellow affiliates condolences on having your reversals doubled.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

It's not worthy the time and money make sales for ebay

Here's a more charitable spin:

"we were paying 5c and $5, then we realized we were paying sometimes 2 people for the same transaction. So we fixed that. Now we know we are paying the right people for the transaction - and only once - we can afford to pay them more. So we are."

I wish more people here would preface their damnation with some context.

In our experience, ebay is back on track to be worth >$1000/month, and while we suspect not everyone will see their commissions double (yes, the email says "up to 100%") this has to be a step in the right direction ... esp when coupled with the API 2B released on the 1st as well.

Let's not forget - ebay pays us 5c for an existing customer who makes a bid that probably won't win for something they (ebay) only get a commission percentage of the price of. IMHO - it's a good deal.

ABW Ambassador
    It will be good deal ONLY when ebay pays a percent of the sale instead of a nickel, dime and even a quarter per bid. I can get same or even more with Adsense just for a click. I do not want this nickel or dime for every bid. Just pay us only for confirmed bids, BINs and registrations. I am even ready for a lower registration fee with a percent of the sale. Everything else will still keep people away for ebay.

I concur with Andy and others.

The most important thing is if they decide to pay us commissions. As I have said before, if bar none we all see constant reversals. They have to be going somewhere. It must be parasites and their weird and confusing policy on search engine traffic.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread