Maybe this is OK with eBay.

At first, you would click on the "Save Instantly on this Purchase" fradulant popup from WhenU and it would popup a CJ banner.

WhenU wouldn't get credit unless you then clicked on that popup.

Now, just clicking on the WhenU popup causes a redirect in the browser window that sends you back to eBay using the CJ tracking code.

More in a bit.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Greg,

I've reported this behavior by WhenU to Ebay while in Vegas. In the case I presented to them the original click to Ebay was from another affiliates site and then the WhenU pop up...etc as you describe. Which of course led to the first affs cookie being overwritten. In my case I actually followed through with a BIN as a test purchase and the original affiliate never saw the transactions in their report (of course).

Anyway, what I was told by Eva and Ryan in the case above was that they did not feel the WhenU pop up was fraudulent and the end user actually had to click the WhenU pop..so there was no wrong doing.

No wrong doing other than the fact additional savings are promised to lure the user into clicking, and then not delivered. That sounds like fraud to me.

Andy

Ms. B:

Please clarify what you mean by WhenU's popup.

Do you mean the popup window that is part of the WhenU app or a CJ window that is popped up after clicking on the CJ window.

Before, I always saw a CJ popup after the WhenU click. You had to click on that popup in order for them to get the cookie set.

Do you have links to the videos still?

LOL Greg, now you have me confused.

I think I know what you are talking about. WhenU has several types of pop ups you might see.

One is where the WhenU pop up will save something like "Coupons for MerchantX" or "Save with MerchantX" (not to be confused with the WhenU pop that says "You could be saving on this purchases and carries you away to the WhenU paid subscription service if you click on it.) Clicking on these types of pop ups will sometimes give you another screen within the WhenU pop up listing coupon codes or further explanations of the offer. There is then a second link to click to actually get the savings and this click is what will cause the redirect to the Merchant's site setting the cookie

Other pop ups just require you to click on the first WhenU pop up that happens and you get the redirect and cookie set.

That's just a couple of the types of pop ups you can get with WhenU.

In the example I recorded the pop up actually offered Free Shipping on products on Ebay which had no free shipping.

I believe I still have the video on the server, let me go check and see.

Actually that link is to this thread :')

ABW Ambassador
    That is complete BS.

Todd? Ebay affiliate person?

How can you tell me this allowed? We have an agreement - we send our traffic to ebay, ebay pays us. Here - in plain view, ebay is allowing traffic we send them, to be hijacked and stolen by another affiliate, with ebays and cjs complete acknowledgement and understanding.

This is ludicrous.

Todd, why not have every single merchant do this? Every time anyone sends traffic to a merchant, first have whenu have the opportunity to hijack that traffic with a bs coupon.

I can forgive and excuse many things. I can understand many of the complexities of what ebay has to do.

This I cannot.

Chet

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread