Yesterday, I decided to test a theory about eBay's cookies. I cleared my cookies, restarted my computer, went directly to my site, clicked on an Editor Kit link and placed a bid. The item had a previous bid, a Buy It Now option, as well as a reserve. My bid did not meet the reserve, and the previous bidder still had the highest bid by proxy.

So, I decided what the heck and bought it with Buy It Now. Later, I noticed both of my bids showed up in my CJ transaction reports. I didn't go back and click on another link before placing the second bid, so theoretically, it should have never shown up. But it did.

Why is it that almost every other merchant can manage their cookies better than eBay? It makes no sense to me that eBay allows everyone with a cookie to initially get credit, then they reverse everyone except the last bid. What a waste of time and resources!

Why wouldn't eBay have their cookies set to expire whenever a new cookie is placed? Any logical explanation?

Andy

Andy I think you have almost got it.....Ebay wants you to think they are running a fair program and that they are crediting sales and bids to the last cookie placed but I would not mind betting 9 times out of ten the last cookie placed just happens to be theirs.
    The only reason I can think of that a company the size and that has the resources of eBay cannot manage its cookies in a far better fashion is that this way must be better for some reason. It is up to us the affiliates to decide what the reasons could possiboly be.

That is my opinion and until I read of a better reason I will stick with it.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Why wouldn't eBay have their cookies set to
    >expire whenever a new cookie is placed?

It's not a "new cookie". You have one qksrv.net cookie on your system, and it is MODIFIED wenever you hit qksrv.

It can also and sometimes is modified Drewbert without you going anywhere by some of these parasite scum. I have experienced and seen this happen with my own eyes. I feel fairly sure that Ms.B and Happypoon will also have seen this happen during their testing sprees.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.

YouTrek

Well, regardless of how the eBay cookies are handled, modified, or otherwise, my second bid was just reversed.

So, when you set an eBay cookie, apparently you keep getting credit for every bid placed until another cookie is set, deleted, modified, or whatever. Either eBay needs to start paying out for every single bid, or the cookie needs to be expired or modified to not keep showing bids unless a new click is made.

Whoever is doing eBay's cookie authoring should be sent back to "Cookies 101" to learn how to do it properly. eBay may think the additional bids showing up motivate affiliates to build more eBay links, but the reversals have just the opposite effect.

eBAY = FIX YOUR COOKIES!

Andy

I like traffic lights
    >It can also and sometimes is modified
    >Drewbert without you going anywhere by some
    >of these parasite scum.

Do you mean they actually modify the cookie on your computer from within the system - rather than the only "official" way it can be modified which is via a visit to qksrv.net?

Is this another MS Windows security flaw we're talking about here?

I have seen in my computer, an ebates cookie update itself and alter the last cookie which by the way had my own CJID in it as it was a test I was doing at the time. I do know that some of their cookies would update themselves without you going anywhere near the ebates site. This was a good few months back but I would not put it past the thieving scum to flick the switch now and then.

YouTrek

I like traffic lights
    If this is the case, it sounds like MSIE is allowing BHO's to get in and alter the contents of any cookie files, which is a security nightmare of biblical proportions.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    @Andy: You are correct. The cookie isn't being expired and it is tracking each BIN/BID made by one user. Ebay's cookies are supposed to be one time occurrence, but they aren't being expired after the first BID/BIN as they should be. Ebay is aware of this because I talked to them about it in Vegas and got the usual "We know it's a problem and are working on it." It's tracking as if unlimited occurrences instead of one.

@Gordon: I have not seen for myself what you are describing. The Ebates cookie isn't what would potentially overwrite a commission, it would have to be the qksrv cookie. An Ebates cookie is potentially tracking 2 things: their members activity to credit rebates/logins/etc or compensation for their affiliates/distributors of their software. Their cookies could update themselves without you going anywhere near the Ebates site if: Ebates software is activated for a pop up and it sets a cookie with the unique computer user information which identifies for them who their member is (if they've actually joined Ebates) or you were on a site that was promoting Ebates. I don't know however why your CJPID should ever be in an Ebates cookie. I don't recall ever seeing that. I have seen Ebates referenced in a CJ cookie in the past because of Ebates use of the SID.

I did not explain myself very well Ms.B what I meant was I had seen the ebates cookie in my temporary internet files directory and when I went to try a CJ link on one of my sites I looked at the resulting CJ cookie and it was not my AFFID in it.

At the same time the ebates cookie had mysteriously updated itslf without me going anywhere near the ebates site. If I remember correctly it was about 35 mins after I got the original ebates cookie and I looked at the time of it because I had suspected something like this was happening. So I assumed somehow they had access to my computer to enable them to alter the cookies.

I cannot do any tests now because I got fed up of having to pay approx $85.00 CAN each time my computer seized up, which incidently was about 4 or 5 times

YouTrek

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread