The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I'm cleaning out my "sent" email box, and the number of unanswered emails to affiliate managers is staggering.

So I thought we could all post these people who leave affiliates hanging in one central place, so we can make informed decisions on which merchants to add, drop, etc.

I'm of the mindset that we need 5 things to make an affiliate relationship work:

1. Your own quality website and skills

2. A quality product/merchant to promote

3. A trusted 3rd party to track sales

4. A quality AM to be there when you need him

5. The "Affiliate Gods" ocassionaly shine on you! (Like when Google bumps one of your pages to #1 for no apparent reason, and you get a zillion hits for a merchant who never performed before!)

This can be a helpful Post - IF - we stay on topic. So if at all possible, can we keep this post about AMs who don't answer emails, return calls, etc.

On May 26, we got a "Please join our program" email from BabyBeddingTown.

We sent an email to their am Dave Pye, saying will you be offering any sales/promos/coupons, and by the way, all your links and descriptions say "TEST"!

Never got a response!

So we won't be promoting BabyBeddingTown in our lifetime.

PS: Just logged on to CJ, and they are still described as "TEST":

Joined Network: 6-May-2004
    Category: Babies (show similar advertisers)
    Description: test

--------------
    UPDATE: Moments after posting this, David responded. So I'm taking him off the list. That was quick!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    What you may be experiencing are programs that have no dedicated AM, just the president (or manager) of the company that may already be too busy.

It is frustrating.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

CheeseHead is right, I'm afraid. I did a massive email campaign a year ago March to about 300 CJ companies and am still getting my first response back from some of them.

These are probably some of the same folks who have not approved my application to join their programs for the last year.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I agree, there are many ams that don't respond, for a variety of reasons. I just wanted a central place where we can share this info - BEFORE we invest our time into making links.

Funny i have the same problem with a lot of CJ publishers, No one checks their CJ mail, that's the problem, CJ needs to allow merchants and publishers to view company email addresses that will help the problem immensely. (even though they are worried of being cut out and not getting their giant piece of the pie).

Affiliate Manager
    As an AM, I would LOVE to get some email from my affiliates. I send tons of email, but rarely get a response.

I'm willing to share SEO tips, PPC formulas, and our top performing keywords with our affiliates.

This data is making some of our affiliates quite wealthy... If the others would respond to my notes, they could tap into this $$ too.

But how can we get in touch with affiliates if they never check their email?

quote:

Good question, the only two answers I've found to that is digging through affiliate sites for different email addresses and going with my own private affiliate software. The second option makes communication a lot better for both sides and takes out the "trusted" third party.

Just as an aside, I have merchants with totally unresponsive aff managers but which work really well in terms of the bottom line. Poor responses aren't a great sign, but there are plenty of other factors to take into account.

quote:

Hey! Any AFFILIATES hang out in this affiliate forum!!

The same way affiliates want to deal with professional, pro-active merchants, I guess the opposite is also true.

If an affiliate - someone who makes a living online - isn't checking their emails, then you know you have an unprofessional aff! Just work with the affs that respond!!

My orig post said "Hey let's stay on topic" - oh well, I'll break my own request!

There's I post here where I listed a merchant that gave us about 5 sales, and a zillion "Not paid due to it took longer than 5 days for customers to make up their mind".

I pointed the am to the thread!! (They changed their cookie duration to 30 days)

Last month there was a lost check from another network (see my sig file) and I contacted this merchant again.

He sent an angry email to LS.

I asked if he knew who I was? I thought he'd say you're the a**hole who posted all the no pays for the whole world to see.

Nope. He said he remembered me because I'm the only affiliate who has EVER contaced him!

Go figure.

By and large CJ mail is just a lot of "Yea, rah we got a great program, and we made a banner and here's a stupid coupon", merchant spam. I delete most of it unread about once a month if I happen to remember to check it. (No, I don't want your coupon. Post it on your own site if it is so great. No, I won't use your cutesy banner. They are a waste of time.)

Use the time to improve your data feed and tell me how to get it free. Use more time to make sure that your own site converts the customers we send to you and you won't NEED to do all that communicating.

If you really want to contact me, put my name in the header to catch my attention or PM me here. If it is something about your program for all affiliates, post it here.

Don't presume that because I don't care to respond to weekly, bi-weekly, monthly merchant spam messages from 600 merchants that I am not professional. I am too professional to have the time for non-sense.

If it is about my money, put my name in the header, PM me here, and post here that I should look for a PM!!!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread