It has been happening on 2 of my main websites since last month. Even only once a week, it’s ruined my EPC (and my merchants’ EPC as well). The # clicks could reach 3-4 times of # normal clicks, far exceed # visitors. I have no idea what’s going on. Could it be resulting from a nasty SE? Do you out there experience the same? Thanks for comments.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

I've had it myself on a few of my sites . I wish I could isolate it then I would ban it
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

MSN bot is generating click thrus on my account. You'd think MSN would have enough money to buy something every now and then. Bill must be a cheapskate.

Thanks Gordon and Heyder for your inputs. Yes (new) MSN bot! I found them in my Webalizer. They indexed my 3 months old site many times but the site never shown in their SEPR. My pages are shown in their new MSN.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

MSN is bound to cause problems for the duration of 2003!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    MSN is bound to cause problems for the duration of 2003!

Um, it's 2004 In any case, what's the problem ? If MSNbot is clicking through network links that means only one of two things :

i) It doesn't obey robots.txt. I'm pretty certain this isn't true and it does obey robots.txt

ii) The networks haven't excluded it in their robots.txt files. It's only two extra lines, guys, it's not difficult.

Which leads to point iii). Having looked at the MSN search preview, there were affiliate links replacing merchant URLs all over the place. Surely that's a good thing for affiliates

We're having this problem too and it's our banners that are getting major repeat click thrus. We've been hit hard this morning and when I drilled down in my CJ reports to see what links got the click thrus, it was all from banners.

I contacted CJ a few months ago about this because I didn't want merchants thinking that we were somehow sending fake click thrus or doing something funny. Their reply was "The click tracking appears to be working fine and there are no problems with your links and we do track search engine clicks as well. So, I imagine this quells your concerns. Please note though, that search engines often report clicks fast than we do, so it can sometimes take a bit for our figures to catch up with the figures that you would see from them.

Our EPC has dropped several $$ because of this which means that CJ's EPC figures don't mean squat.

I had the same thing happen to me last night in SAS. I had high numbers of clicks for a couple of merchants and couldn't figure out what was going on since there was no one on my site at the time but clicks kept coming in one after the other. All these clicks were "comma" clicks, no referring link.

Later when I checked my host to see if they had recorded it, both Google and MSN bots had been around a couple of times.

Catwoman

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    So THAT'S wtf happened to my EPC! This week something totally trashed it and I couldn't figure out what the heck!

quote:
    Having looked at the MSN search preview, there were affiliate links replacing merchant URLs all over the place. Surely that's a good thing for affiliates

I hope they bring it live soon!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I had one merchant where I was getting tens of thousands of extra clicks every month for over a year. One day it just stopped. I never figured out what was causing it. There were no clues in my logs.

All my links go through a redirect script, and the redirect script detects bots and spiders (based on User Agent) and blocks them.

Michael
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I've had Teoma running rampant for several months (even more than MSNBot) and some merchants don't filter out spiders from their click-through stats.

Hardly get any traffic from Ask...

so eventually we oughtta get a buck extra from all this visiting.

ABW Ambassador
    Look into your logs for entries like

Semantic Discovery.com and funwebproducts.

In my logs these two were the reason for a huge increase of traffic. As far as I could find out they are PPC pirates which promote ohter poeples websites for somt time.
    carneol

I had several thousands of clicks one time from CJ's bot. My EPC was in the toilet for months.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread