Griping here seems to do no good. Yet the affiliate forum at Ebay proper has so little traffic, that it gives the impression (over there at least) that it's just 1 or 2 whiners bringing the WhenU and cookie-stuffing issues to the fore.

I urge any Ebay affiliates to visit Ebay's Affiliate discussion board (link below) and voice their opinion. The more people who speak publicly about this AT EBAY, hopefully some attention will be gained. It may be a pipe dream, but it can't hurt.

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/forum.jsp?forum=118

Thanks,

-Dan
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

... Or you could point the people here to see the full truth instead of having to retype pages and pages of posts
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    I know for a fact that there is an eBay employee assigned to lurk here at ABW and report to the AM team at eBay.

There is NO NEED to post at eBay to get the message across.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    And I know for a fact that the Ebay Affiliate Team is aware of the issues.

I'm sure it all goes back to the fact that even though 180, et al are stealing type in traffic and affiliate traffic, it is all included under affiliate revenue and shows up on their reports as such. If they had bean counters break it all down, the higher up might take notice. But, as long as the ebay "affiliate team" has to report their earnings, and I'm sure make some kind of incentives from it, they will not do a damn thing as it would hurt "the bottom line."

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    What qball says.......
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    That is why it has become useless to write directly to the affiliate contacts. They will gladly answer questions on, "Why is your program so great", but ask one question about 180 etc, they clam up. I am waiting weeks on real answers from them or Todd.

So screw them, write to the general administration of ebay. Explain what is happening, how in a very real direct way, ebay is promoting scumware, and bad practices. How ebay used to be a company that looked out for their users and the Internet community, but now thanks to greedy affiliate managers, all of that has been thrown aside so they can make bonusus (this is not a statement of fact, just a guess). Explain how they are making no more in sales now, just the affiliate manangers are driving more sales thru certain partners... hmmm... making them pay for free traffic. Pretty much destroying anything eBay stood for, not for the good of ebay, but for the affiliate managers themselves.

Post on auction sites how ebay promotes and rewards scumware.

It is obvious that changes will not come from this affiliate team, they have no desire to have an honest discourse over the issues effecting their program. So skip them.

And if the ebay rep reads this - why not respond to the question of 180, instead of just responding here telling us you care? I have had it with that sidestepping answer BS.

Chet

Ebay probably lurks here to see if they can figure out what "english cloaking" is I know Im still confused lol(what happens in vegas stays in vegas lol)
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Chet and qball. Why not have everyone call or write the president of ebay? I can't remember her name right now but I called her office a while back for something else and got a response from her assistant that same day.

If a lot of affiliates call about the 180 situation I bet she or someone in her office takes note. As much as she talks about ethics in her interviews I bet she would be very interested in knowing that her company is in bed with parasites.

My goodness, I just went to the eBay forum and read a few of the threads there. Lots of unhappy people!

The bottom line for me is: eBay has to have the appearance of a trustworthy middleman to continue its success. Partnering with any entity that operates in a gray area exposes eBay to suspicion of not being 100% honest.

I'm very surprised that eBay is taking this walk, since it definitely puts their good name in jeopardy. I wonder if the top brass at eBay truly understand what is going on, and how these software apps work...

Andy

You know when I read the title and see the plea part (for those that knows where I am from we read p's as f's and vise versa lol...)
    I said yup there's a plea (flea).

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Oh, for Pete's sake!

So let me get this right: It's ok to post here about the fraud in Ebay's affiliate program, but it's not ok to post about this over at Ebay?

Ehhh?

Pointing people over here (IMHO) doesn't have as much impact, given that people are less likely to leave a site to read messages.

"I know for a fact that there is an eBay employee assigned to lurk here at ABW and report to the AM team at eBay.

There is NO NEED to post at eBay to get the message across."

Wow. One lurker assigned to read this forum. And such an impact it's had thus far. No need to post? No need to post????!!!! I (and every other affiliate) am supposed to take YOUR word for it that Ebay is aware of the problem? Until someone from Ebay posts somewhere in an official capacity, sorry sir, I don't believe you.

"And I know for a fact that the Ebay Affiliate Team is aware of the issues."

And everyone is supposed to take this as fact? Not to knock you, but Ebay sure as hell hasn't acted as if ANYONE there knows about what is going on. I'm not about to take one person's word for it.

My original point (and perhaps I wasn't clear) is that maybe, just MAYBE... hitting them on their home turf might do something, since posting here seemingly accomplishes nothing.

If nothing else, it will warn future sheeple that every thing at Ebay's program isn't just hunky dory...

-Dan
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with posting in their own forum.

I also agree with talking to somebody higher up then one of "ebay's affiliate team"

Usually the higher ups have no idea about what the affiliate manager or team is doing or involved with. So don't think it's productive talking to the "ebay affiliate team"

at any rate, thanks for the link.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    And everyone is supposed to take this as fact? Not to knock you, but Ebay sure as hell hasn't acted as if ANYONE there knows about what is going on. I'm not about to take one person's word for it.

Acting like it and them not knowing is certainly 2 different things isn't it?

I know for a fact because I met personally with Ryan and Eva in Las Vegas. As a matter of fact, I had dinner with them to discuss the many issues affiliates have with the Ebay. Hmm...let's see I even posted here and asked Ebay affiliates to let me know what issues they wanted to bring up. And then when I got back home, I posted links to all the info I had provided them prior to our meeting. I also recapped our meeting for everyone. There's a whole thread here about it. Take it for fact or not.

But hey, if you think that posting on their forum will yield more action on their part over meeting with them face 2 face...go for it.

Now if any affs have have stock in Ebay, you might want to contact Investor Relations. Feel free to use any of those videos that I posted which show Ebay paying aff commissions off their own organic traffic because of downloadable applications while they reverse web bound affs tranasactions if the user comes back through Ebays own marketing efforts. Then there is the aff cookie overwrite with Ebay's AM stating it was ok since the end user clicked the pop up (no matter the offer in the pop up wasn't really available).

Perhaps a simple solution to the eBay problem, which won't be very popular, but may just fix all these reversals and actual give us a shot at the money... An 1 hour cookie for ALL the networks they are on. Lord knows if someone doesn't bid within that hour, they ain't gonna bid anyway.

Considering the only thing I hear anyone complain about is reversed nickels and now dimes, this may just work.

Comments?
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

How long have their been problems with ebay? A looong time. the only reason there are continual problems is because Affiliates put up with it! Ebay gets paid whether the affiliates do or not.

Quit complaining about reversed nickels and dimes, drop them and move on. If everyone dropped them, perhaps these issues would have more importance to be fixed in Ebays mind.

I can just imagine a meeting at Ebay. Well, the affiliates are not happy. No, they arent, they keep complaining, but they keep sending traffic and making US money - so all is good - Carry on everyone.

just looked at my last payment from CJ for ebay for one accont :-
    eBay Jul 2004 Lead 20.00
    eBay Jul 2004 Returned Merchandise (24.00)
    eBay Jul 2004 Sale 4.00

nuff said ?

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread