I have said this many times before. The behaviour of the CJ banners/clicks/revenue statistics defies the most elementary human intelligence. Here is a concrete example of what I am saying: one of our sites has received the following during this year according to the CJ statistics.

2.5 million banner impressions,
    13,000 clicks
    $350.00 total revenue.

The numbers have been slightly doctored (relatively to the real ones) for obvious reasons.
    Only an idiot would conclude that this is normal human statistical behaviour. Actually, the merchant himself contacted me and asked me: "what in the name of God is happening here?"
    I believe that the accounting scripts at CJ get stuck and, too many times, they record or report whatever they please. Anyone involved in programming will agree that the scripts are not, and cannot be, absolutely perfect. When these errors accumulate on extremely busy servers result in amazingly ridiculous numbers.
    Draw your own conclusions.

huhu

to supply it.

ABW Ambassador
    Conclusion, you were spidered and it resulted in clicks.

Guessing here because I do not know for sure. But I imagine the CJ errors on the side of caution and does not filter out an ip if it makes too many clicks, because who knows if an excited shopper is window shopping through your site.

I see this behavoir on sites with redirects, because some spiders don't get the hint and chase down each link.

Hardly CJ's fault.

Chet

I believe Chet's assumption is correct.

Well, I happen to be a Ph.D. in mathematics. Obviously, I wouldn't quote here the results of any spiders. I have complete log information from my servers. If you remember well, I already announced up here our revenue from FastClick. How did you think we received that revenue? As a result of spiders?

huhu

Most "logical" answer to me is that the income from your Fastclick advertisers (some parasites like smiley central, freeze.com etc) overwrote your CJ traffic if you have many "returners".
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Well sorry Dr. Center of the Universe, I have not followed your life here closely, so no I do not know what blowhard stats you posted.

But a man of your obvious stature and deep smarts, should know, when you are quoting CJ stats, you cannot filter the spiders, you can only use what stats CJ gives you.

So how are you quoting CJ stats, and and at the same time knowing you are not including any spiders? Did you ask CJ to remove the spiders?

So if you have multiple links on a page, it may show as only one page show to you, but 50 clicks to CJ. But I am sure they already covered that at too smart to understand U.

Chet

OK, Monsieur, Chez Noir! But what you are saying is simply NOT TRUE! 90% of the clicks are for same well-known American company. The other banner clicks on the page cover only the rest (10%). You are ... adding clicks that are not there! I still believe that the scripts can and do go very wrong. I haven been programming myself for many years. The scripts work with signals that are not taken at all, or properly, for many thousands of times during the day. Do you disagree with this?
    This is why many people up here so often complain about sudden stoppage of their sales and minimization of their revenues.
    Simply put, people/customers do not behave like this. Their "banner" behavior is very much predictable, especially after one has been several years in the business of banner advertizing.

huhu

I just ran my stats over some unspecified period of time, and mine are a bit different than yours:

1.3 million text impressions (about 65,000 page views),
    13,000 clicks
    $3900.00 total revenue.

Maybe it has more to do with your site and the merchants you selected than it has to do with CJ.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'm so confused because I don't have an education. I wish I did because then I could become an affiliate marketer.

Absolutely correct, MichaelColey! This is what our statistics should be. It just doesn't happen to every affiliate. The scripts do get stuck and mal-perform for many people.

huhu

Heyder,
    I am surprised at you. This is what you got from my message? I am trying to tell you that I DO know statistics, and you are trying to be ironic? I was expecting better behavior from you!

huhu

ABW Ambassador
    It performs poorly for you because I slipped Todd $10 to monkey with your stats.

I see you are not a logic major. This does not happen to most people, but it does happen to you. So it cannot be your fault, it must be CJs. That is illogical (can't wait for his credentials on logic, maybe he is Spock).

Chet

quote:
    Originally posted by huhu:
    Heyder,
    I am surprised at you. This is what you got from my message? I am trying to tell you that I DO know statistics, and you are trying to be ironic? I was expecting better behavior from you!

huhu

Nah you got me all wrong. Don't worry about it. but this part here "I was expecting better behavior from you!" is quite refreshing. Even my kids don't expect good behavior from me.

http and a telephoto
    quote:
    Absolutely correct, MichaelColey! This is what our statistics should be. It just doesn't happen to every affiliate. The scripts do get stuck and mal-perform for many people.

huhu

This makes no sense. Scripts are scripts, they wouldn't behave differently for different affiliates. They would just process what they see. Are you saying they perform differently by merchant or they go to the extreme of screwing up only on certain affiliate PIDs? That makes no sense at all.

I think the FastClick driveby parasites are stealing your cookies. Better put a lid on the cookie jar.

And are your links redirected so that Ad Blocked browsers can see your links to click on them?

There is a lot of info on all these issues tucked in the forums here, start reading and reworking your pages.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Actually, the merchant himself contacted me and asked me: "what in the name of God is happening here?"
    Would I be correct in assuming that you have only one merchant?

I myself have problems with CJ's stats, though not as serious as yours. It has to do with stat patterns.

Why don't we try to disect the problem, find a solution, and throw all our egos out for the moment.

loxly,

Maybe you should start programming a bit before you give advice to other people. Any elementary programmer knows that scripts based on Internet signals make a lot of errors. Actually, nobody has ever done any study on what percentage of signals received by a script is actually handled properly. This study should take into consideration the bandwidth that is being processed by the server. By this I mean it all depends on the server and how busy a script is when it is being used by the users of banner advertising. Think about it. SCRIPTS ARE WORKING ON SIGNALS. THAT's WHY THEY CAN GO WRONG! VERY WRONG!

huhu

ABW Ambassador
    huhu, just when i didn't think you could act like a bigger arrogant ass, you go and prove my thinking wrong.

By the way, any decent programmer knows how to handle odd input and can produce scripts with zero errors, but I guess they didn't teach you that in pompous ass school.

Chet

huhu,

Get off your high horse!

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    I was hoping to find this thread locked by now....

Since you know SO much huhu, go create your own network that works perfectly please....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks guys, much laughter

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread