Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Last month's CJ check has still not arrived and it is usually well and truly here by now. Last month I reported here that my check came with someone else's check stuck to the back of it - I'm worried that may have happened to me.

CJ said if they stop the original check and send another it will cost me $25 USD (FYI: my checks aren't huge as I don't focus on CJ) - do you all think this is fair?

I mean, by switching to travelex for their checks, they've started dealing with a company who is unreliable as far as I am concerned - someone else probably has their check and mine at this point.

Just curious what everyone thinks.

I think it is standard procedure. Since the check is not huge, why not just wait it out.

I think something went wrong at cj. I also did not receive my check for april and may. I ask them to reissue and they said I had to pay $50 for my bank draft. Still no sign of my check.I usually received my check less than 10 day after issue.

If your check has truly been lost in the mail, I think it's ridiculous for CJ to expect you to pay the stop payment fees for it.

Think about it! If you sent a check to the electric company, and it got lost, they'd expect you to send them another to replace it, and you wouldn't be able to deduct the stop payment fee for the original check from it. Normally it's the issuer's responsibility to cover any fees for stop payment. That's just the way it works.

This is just another way CJ proves it places no value on us pathetic dolts they call publishers. They need us to stay in business, but we're expendable. They'll just go get more publishers. We're a dime a dozen, they just don't care.

Andy

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Samy, I think their "solution" stinks.

To avoid the fee, could you request that they just tack the commish for that month onto the next check?

They expect you to pay! Absurd. It is their responsibility to ensure payment gets to you!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Pretty common business practice for the person/biz receiving the check to pay the stop payment fee.

Can CJ pay you via PayPal in the future?

quote:
    Pretty common business practice for the person/biz receiving the check to pay the stop payment fee.

On what planet? I've never heard of such a thing. I just asked 15 people on a conference call who should pay the fee, and they all said the sender would be responsible for the fee, that's the way it's always been.

Andy

Well, it may be news. And it may be unpleasant. And it's obvious some people have issues with CJ. But it's still fairly common biz practice. CJ needs to make sure the recepient has actually lost the check, not:

1: just missplaced it
    2: too impatient
    3: trying to get two checks
    4: crazy

Any-who. The point of my original post was to suggest getting your payment via PayPal. Kinda hard for that to get lost in the mail.

Personally, if it were my call, as a merchant, I'd tack the amount on to the next months payment and trust the affiliate to not cash the lost check if it where to arrive (Rhea's suggestion). But any pencil-neck CFO in any large org would never go for that.

Here's a thread where a network sent an affiliate 1/2 dozen checks...that never arrived.

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...89&m=264106353

SammyT, is it fair...no. Is it the way they choose to do business...yes.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I think it is standard procedure. Since the check is not huge, why not just wait it out.

I told them I would let them know if it arrives in the next week or not, huge or not, it's still the better part of a weeks wage and it is owed to me.

quote:
    This is just another way CJ proves it places no value on us pathetic dolts they call publishers. They need us to stay in business, but we're expendable. They'll just go get more publishers. We're a dime a dozen, they just don't care.
    I feel the same way about this... what can I do if I never receive the payment?

quote:
    To avoid the fee, could you request that they just tack the commish for that month onto the next check?
    Even if they did that, they'd want the $25 for cancelling the original check.

quote:

Can CJ pay you via PayPal in the future?

I don't think CJ would ever use pay pal to pay anyone - let's face it, they're not rushing to do anyone any favours.

quote:
    CJ needs to make sure the recepient has actually lost the check, not:

1: just missplaced it
    2: too impatient
    3: trying to get two checks
    4: crazy

Let's see. I've been receiving checks for some time now and never had any hassles. The last check I did receive came from Travelex, I didn't even recognise it when I got it - it came with a affiliate check belonging to a guy in willougby (a nearby suburb) stuck to the back of my envelope. I simply reposted his check to him - what if the person who gets my check isn't so kind?

I have no idea why CJ chose to deal with this company, but it looks like they're doing a linkshare (most of you will know what that means with linkshare checks).

I'm sorry, but I'll never understand why I have to forfeit $25 of my commissions just to get the money they owe me in the first place.

I have an ongoing balance with CJ, surely I'm some shister trying to get two checks I'm sure they'd close my account and take away the commissions I have in the balance to pay for the second check.

What a crock of shit!

Hey SamyT,

Have you told them to simply send you another check and screw stopping the other one?

Tell them you have no desire to stop payment on the other check as the Kangaroos have it by now, so they can simply issue you another one!

quote:

I'm sorry, but I'll never understand why I have to forfeit $25 of my commissions just to get the money they owe me in the first place.

Because they cut the check and sent it. The fact it didn't arrive is the US Postal Services fault, not there's. You are requesting them to cut you another check. If .005% of their affiliates check get list, CJ is not going to pay the banks fee. Consider is an affiliates misc line item for the cost of doing business.

quote:
    screw stopping the other one?

LOL, and while you're at it, charge em interest for the late payment, I'm sure that would give their AP Dept a good chuckle too.

Again, their AP Dept could take a read here too:
    http://www.cluetrain.com/book/95-theses.html

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    The fact it didn't arrive is the US Postal Services fault, not there's.

No, it's whoever on earth put the checks in the envelopes that is at fault here.... surely they can make sure their envelopes are seperated before they are sent.

And you're sure it's not stuck between pages 77-78 of your last issue of Cosmo that came in your mailbox because....?

I may not have handled it this way, but I understand why they do.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    And you're sure it's not stuck between pages 77-78 of your last issue of Cosmo that came in your mailbox because....?

Exactly what have I done to cause this doubt? I have NEVER had any issues with CJ and have been receiving checks for quite a while now. Your little excuse may be convenient for CJ to throw at me, but it's not the way it is.

ABW Ambassador
    I suggest you have them wire it directly to your account. It will always be on time with no middleman (postman) or the unscroupulous to become involved.

For me, last month's check was delayed by a week. It was a big amount.

Thank goodness i got it.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I suggest you have them wire it directly to your account. It will always be on time with no middleman (postman) or the unscroupulous to become involved.

I'm not sure what kind of miracle it would take to bring this action about! I believe a check is the only option for an Australian affiliate.

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry Samy . . . didn't notice you were from out of town till you mentioned it.

quote:
    No, it's whoever on earth put the checks in the envelopes that is at fault here.... surely they can make sure their envelopes are seperated before they are sent.

My mortgage payment once came back to me shreded in a plastic bag. The post office does screw up. If it was in my envelope with my check it would be sent back to CJ, eventually you would get it. Like you said you have never had any issues with CJ before. So yeah it sucks, but just wait it out.

My first cj check is lost due to postal error years ago.
    They charge me $20 for that. Now is $25.

$25 is quite high, i wonder cj do not negiotiate the fee with their banker. $10 is more reasonable.
    In my country , the stop check fee is $5.

What about sharing the cost 50/50 ?
    CJ want us to pay 100%.

cj should count the risk of postal error too.
    To delivery the commission to affiliate's hand is their responsibility.

I offer a proposal to them that they can expired the checks in 3-6 monthhs. Then they can re-issue a replacement check without the need to stop payment for the expired check.
    But they do not like this idea.
    They request affiliate must pay the fee to get replacement check.

If i am based in US or UK, i would definitely choose DD.
    But they do not offer alternetives for int'l webmasters.
    Even affiliates pay 100% of the sending fee.

For all the indy merchants or network I work with.
    Only CJ charge affiliate to re-issue a check lost by postal error.

Two pages on the continuing discussion of losing $25. For the love of swiss cheese, get the hell over it. If $25 represents that much to any business as a line item, close it down, and look into other work. Like a freakin hot dog stand...oh no, the hot dogs turn green after 9 days in water, it's not fair. Bad hot dogs.

Holy mother of pearl, this sounds like every spoiled child and every unhappy employee blaming their parent/boss for the ills of their world. Step up, heads up, chin up and for the love of JC himself, stop babbling.

>>Exactly what have I done to cause this doubt? I have NEVER had any issues with CJ and have been receiving checks for quite a while now. Your little excuse may be convenient for CJ to throw at me, but it's not the way it is.<<

So if it's not your fault, it MUST be theirs. Like after the check craps out of their check crapping machine it should just magically appear in your mail-flippin-box? There's no US Postal Service, mail person, drop station, sorter, airlines, Austrailian Postal Service (is there one?), mail person, nother drop station, and whatever line of freaks and potential ways for a single peice of mail to get shagged up tween their check crapping machine and your mailbox.

Here's a story to lighten the mood. Startup dot com company. Raising money in the hay-day. I put in angel round. (more than $25), and have a friend put in 100K. K is not kanagroos. CEO put in a clause to approve any merger/acquisition. Times where pre April 2000. VC's thought nothing of it. April 2000 happened. Crap happens. Two offers from companies, one benificial to VC's, one benificial to staff. CEO screws all the VC's/investors for the staff option. In the long run, all the money slowly...goes...away. Game over. It's cool. The VC's are crazy mad, but they're money whores. CEO made the right call. I suck up the loss. Feel bad about friend loosing 100Kangaroos though.

Bill Gates loses something like $2,500 in the time it takes him to bend over and pick up a $100 bill. 2 billion people live in abject (sp) poverty, make less then $1 a day, and eat uncooked dirt. Get a perspective.

Suck it up.

ABW Ambassador
    Could you BE more offensive? Each of your posts has said something insulting in some way or another (and not just to me) and it's been ignored, but now you're just plain nasty.

$25 may be chump change to you, but it's not like that with everyone. And some people may have NO OTHER CHOICE when it comes to working on the web, did that ever enter your little mind? Just because you apparently have money to burn doesn't mean it's that way with everyone.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    NZ, if we were gonna weight this on a scale of who contributed the most words to this thread, I think you're the winner. You also win for vitriol. You sure have invested a lot of energy in a topic that you deem worthless.

Samy, just ignore him. He's off on a tangent and it has nothing to do with you.

In strict business sense,
    I do not think such $25 classified as business expense.
    It is a loss, an unexpected loss, no matter big or small, an amount of loss that we want to avoid, but invain , due to CJ policy.

Business expense are money spent to generate revenue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast