Folks,

We are considering joining cj but are not sure if our content is too specific or if our product offering is too limited.

It would be great if we could get some advice from the field before investing the upfront fees etc.

Our website is www.pottytrainingsolutions.com and has been around since 1998. Our average order is around $45 and we have a solid conversion rate with low returns. About 1 in 4 parents of children between 2-5 have serious trouble potty training, while everyone else with kids in this age range also needs potty products.

So what do people think? Is an affiliate program like cj right for us? Would anyone sign up? We really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
    Avid Amiri

ABW Ambassador
    Looks good, but remember to give your affiliates product links, via CJ's product catalog. We need to send customers to the actual products and not the main content rich page to make the sales.

Hi Avid
    I think your site would fit very well with sites that sell baby clothes and other Baby product etc. I would look into Shareasale also before I spent money with cj or any other network. Affiliate marketers like myself are getting tired of having our commisions stolen by parasites and cj and Ls seem to think its ok. Parasites can even effect your bottom line as they will get a commision even if your homepage is found by the end user in a search engine. Do yourself a favor and read about parasites here on the parasite forums before joining any network. Good luck
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Greetings Avid,

Welcome to ABW...

1. I would also suggest starting with ShareASale, primarily because the fees are something you can handle while testing the plausibility of creating an affiliate program.

2. You should also request to speak with an Affiliate Manager take the fees you would have paid to CJ and get someone who will manage and recruit affiliates for your program.

3. Read up on how WhenU and the like parasites are not only stealing affiliate money, but also YOUR money with pop-up ads.

4. When your ready pay Haiko to announce your program her at ABW.

Great advice - Thanks!

I think I will start with shareasale. The fees are very reasonable and a test is a good idea. When you say I should speak with an affiliate manager what is that?

Thanks again,
    Avid

An Affiliate Manager is a person that handles your affiliate program for you.

In a nutshell you can concern yourself with building your business and they concern themselves with all aspects of selling your product through affilaites.

There are numerous managers here at ABW - some companies request them in the Jobs section of ABW. I like all of them here at ABW, some work harder than other, but as a whole I think they are all TERIFFIC.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi keep us posted. I know someone that has 5 baby related sites!!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Hi Avid,

Your products would fit nicely on a few of my sites...

And to your question about "would we fit"...

in affiliate marketing, if a merchant converts (makes money for affiliates), we create sites dedicated to the product that is making us money!!

Quick Example:

Pet Site: Millions of sites

Just Dogs: 1000s of sites

Site dedicated to Dog Collars (if a pet merchant had a dog collar that made $$$, I'd create a site for just dog collars!!)

Internet Cowboy
    A potential advertiser for CJ steered to the competition because of CJ's parasite relationships.

One would think that CJ would catch on to that after a while and reconsider their stance as it is costing them money.

Anyway, welcome to ABW, Avid. Let us know where to find you and we'll have toilets flushing like never before!

Scott

quote:
    Originally posted by scohaz:Anyway, welcome to ABW, Avid. Let us know where to find you and we'll have toilets flushing like never before!
    Scott

Dang it Scott I wash drinking when I read this portion of your post... Keyboard almost got wet!

ABW Ambassador
    Jumping straightway into Commission Junction can and most likely will, give you the impression that such marketing efforts are too expensive ...and possibly give you thoughts of screwing your affiliates as a result.

First try an inhouse program of your own and see how that goes. You can get plenty of affiliates by advertising here on ABW.

Thank you everyone. This was the exact advice (and the good laugh) that we needed. We will let everyone know when we are up and running. Have a great Sunday!

Pottytraining, I think you've made a wise choice.

Welcome to ABW!

Andy

As suggested we set up our affiliate program on shareasale, as well as a FTP product feed, and it is going very well. I just wanted to let the few people who were interested know where they can find us. (Hope this is not considered spam)

http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...erchantID=5580

Thanks again and good luck with all of your businesses!

I don't want to derail this topic and maybe it's a question pts might ask, but lately I've been curious as to how do the AM's work with the merchants, do AM's get a percentage of the sales or do they work on hourly basis?

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Pottytrainingsolutions,

Welcome to ABW and congrats on getting your program set up! We have a couple of baby related programs programs too. Best of Luck!

$0.00 Most AMs I know work on a set monthly retainer based on a certain # of hours. Some work on retainer plus small commission over-ride or bonus.

Hope that helps.

Join Shareasale - CJ has an awful system and I am asking the one CJ merchant that I have to switch to Shareasale. More than 80% the time I can't even log into CJ's BeFree - working with them has been a total nightmare - i hate this company

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread