quote:
    SANTA BARBARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 29, 2004--ValueClick, Inc.'s (Nasdaq:VCLK) Commission Junction, a provider of advanced performance marketing solutions, powers the affiliate marketing networks of 47% of Internet Retailer's Top 300 Web retailers who reported having affiliate programs -- more than any other provider -- making it the preferred performance marketing solution for the online retailing industry. Among the list of top retailers, Commission Junction powers the affiliate programs of many well-known brand names such as Circuit City and Staples.

Full Article
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I notice they did not mention the fact that CJ also allow God knows what ridiculous high percentage of all the known parasites to steal from us.

It amazes me how CJ can take the chance of losing all they have built themselves up to just for a few extra bucks from the parasites.

Then again I guess money talks in those circles..... it does not have to be clean money either.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gordon:
    I notice they did not mention the fact that CJ also allow God knows what ridiculous high percentage of all the known parasites to steal from us.

It amazes me how CJ can take the chance of losing all they have built themselves up to just for a few extra bucks from the parasites.

Then again I guess money talks in those circles..... it does not have to be clean money either.

Maybe I am being idealistic, but I am really hoping that this time cj will get rid of the affiliates that Ben has identified in his report.

Commission Junction is taking these things seriously and has been actively removing publishers that are out of compliance with our PSA and/or the CoC (we just don't press release it).

Gordon just likes to moan and groan. He probably hopes things get worse, not better.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Todd for your bloody information Gordon DOES want to see things get better and he would love nothing more than to have no excuse to MOAN. Now show me ANYTHING that CJ have done regarding any of the larger known parasites. If you want people to stop "moaning" as you so eloquently put it (so much for customer relations) you have to do something about the causes.

For Christs sake Todd we've been telling you they have been stealing from us for over two bloody years now so don't give me that shit about me not wanting things to get better.

For my money if Ben and Ms.B had not finaly got CJ into this corner that you cannot so easily get out of you would still be hailing them as the best things since sliced bread and/or giving them awards left right and center that should by rights have gone to the hard working ethical affiliates that you have.

If you take this as a nasty post Todd so be it, I am nasty when a bunch of thieves steal from me with MY trusted third parties blessings and assistance.

Now lets cut the crap and finaly start to do something about it PLEASE
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.

YouTrek

15 years and counting
    As I was reading the ValueClick PR and looking for the Top 300 Web Retailers' Affiliate Programs listed by Internet Retailer, I found an interesting article dated August 2004 (already):
    The shoot-out over spyware
    Two sides are facing off in the battle of ad-pop-up software—and it’s often retailer against retailer

What Gordon said. And, Goddess knows I don't agree with him often!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Gordon,

Just try to either stay on topic or stop taking posts off topic and I won't find you so annoying.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Ok, let's leave it at that.

Now look ... you made me bring out the firefighter smilie, I was saving him too

Continued Success,

Haiko

My apologies Haiko, please delete my posts if needs be.

YouTrek

No Worries Gman, I understand the frustration! I personally know that Todd and CJ compliance are actively working on the 180 issues as well as the others, so hopefully we can all earn our deserved commissions.

I was only joking with the firefighter smilie
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Hey Gordy... Want some of my Hormone pills???

Nah! how about a hug buddy?

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Nice article in the Internet Retailer as they cater to both sides of the Adware/Spyware/Malware issue with their etailers caught in the middle. They did get one thing right ....merchants are powerless when consumer outrage graduates into full out war on pop-ups. Affiliates don't have to boycott merchants who's hired guns endorse all forms of Adware. The duped/pissed consumer will riot and trash and burn those etailer stores who pop in their faces upon all browser clicks.
    CJ is in denial like the others with only LS's-Messer willing to grab the interview mic.

sniplet of the article..."So would eliminating the practices associated with adware or spyware that consumers and marketers find most objectionable, whether by legislation, self-policing by ad distributors, or even technology’s efforts to plug up those browser security holes. Such measures also might have the effect of letting air out of adware’s tires as a marketing tactic, particularly those that address the issue of fully-informed consent for installation. “I don’t know a single person on the planet who is saying, give me adware; I want to see more pop-ups,” says Schwegman.

The wild West (insert cast comments from the HBO series "DEADWOOD" when someone steals from even the thieves bosses)

Consumers complain about cascading pop-ups. What people object to is advertising that interferes with the way they work or shop,” she says.

So whether adware is ultimately deemed a questionable business tactic or simply a new one that the industry will adapt to will also be determined in the long run by what consumers will accept. That will be reinforced by legal and legislative action. How quickly that happens and the particulars of the outcome depend on the ongoing shootout among competing interests seeking to stake claims in an uncharted online frontier. “In some ways,” says Overstocks' Schwegman, “the Internet is still the wild, wild West.”

I say ...feed their dead bodies to the Chinaman's pigs.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

47% of Internet Retailer's Top 300 Web retailers is how many...141.

Obviously they don't have #1 Walmart. But they do have eBay, who pays out about $5 million per month to affiliates which is about 5% of the $100 million they pay in advertising each month.

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    Commission Junction is taking these things seriously and has been actively removing publishers that are out of compliance with our PSA and/or the CoC (we just don't press release it).

Gordon just likes to moan and groan. He probably hopes things get worse, not better.

not me. I want it better. Just do not think you can stop it. The criminals have the upper hand, obviously.

Let's try this on for size.

I was over at a friends house and she wanted to see how I was making money on the net and check out some shoes...

So, I type in the URL to one of my pages which deals in a good niche where conversions actually occur and which has links to 4 CJ merchants on it.

And what to do we see when the page loads...Adsense with all four of those CJ merchants ads in the banner display...

So, we click them to see if they go some place different, etc....nope...just merchant paid for adwords.

Here I am trying to make a sale for these turkeys on the come and they are willing to pay anyone but affiliates close to $.50 a click.

And since their EPC on CJ is below $10...

Well, you what that....down come the links, up goes some relevant content verbage and anyone who goes to my page can now click on the Adsense banner and make me $.25 or so and I will see the cash register go ka-ching whether people buy or not.

So the 80 to 100 people who view this page everyday, have only 4 Adsense links and the back button to click now...since I usually get 5 to 10 click thrus a day to these merchants banners, I figure these clicks will just click on the Adsense and ad another 10 or so clicks to the 10 or so I usually get....

I can live with competition but not when you throw in all the link stealing fraud which has relegated this page to making very little from the CPA part from what it USED to make.

A page that used to make a $150 profit month after month might just get back to that now.

Do we really need a trusted 3rd party to help merchants rip us off?

You could always add $0.03 CPC links to the page. I hear that helps.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Better than NO money...

Hey Mike is your average return for ALL the traffic, on a per click basis, to your site from all your merchants greater than 3 cents per click thru?

I.e. so you aren't confused - if you are getting 10,000 unique visitors per day to your site are you making more in total revenue than $300 per day?

My average return from ALL traffic to my pages, just from Adsense, paid for or other wise, is 3 cents per click plus.

Any other revenue is pure profit...sometimes it's a penny, sometimes a dime...sometimes more.

It all depends on how much the parasites can siphon off...Obviously if all the networks were honest and all the merchants and all the affiliates were honest, we'd all make much more than that...but as the old English ballad would say - that would turn the world upside down.

http and a telephoto
    This thread is like a very bad game of telephone....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    "Hey Mike is your average return for ALL the traffic, on a per click basis, to your site from all your merchants greater than 3 cents per click thru?

I.e. so you aren't confused - if you are getting 10,000 unique visitors per day to your site are you making more in total revenue than $300 per day?"

That doesn't make sense.

First you're asking per click, then per unique. 3 cents per click sucks.

Also i know BF and CJ are together now but I still see Staples and Circuit City as BeFree merchants until i login to CJ and get their links from there.

quote:
    Originally posted by Jersey Jean:
    Hey Mike is your average return for ALL the traffic, on a per click basis, to your site from all your merchants greater than 3 cents per click thru?

I.e. so you aren't confused - if you are getting 10,000 unique visitors per day to your site are you making more in total revenue than $300 per day?
    Absolutely. Every single one of my sites (except one non-affiliate, non-commercial one) makes more than that per unique visitor. The average of my sites is a bit over $0.15 per unique visitor. You're comparing apples to oranges, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

[please address these issues off the board]

Yikes!

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread