ABW Ambassador
    Just received the email from Verizon DSL:

"Verizon Online will no longer work with any affiliate that uses or promotes adware or spyware software. Verizon Online defines adware/spyware software as any system that delivers advertising based on a customer downloading a software application, either knowingly, or unknowingly. Any affiliates using this method to advertise Verizon DSL will be removed from the program immediately."

Portion bolded by me.

So that should include ebates and the alikes, right?

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Bill Gates puts his money where his heart is...
    REDMOND, Wash. — Almost since the day Microsoft Corp. (search) released its Windows XP computer operating system nearly three years ago, it has been a favorite target of hackers and critics eager to stress its numerous security shortcomings.

Now, more than two years after promising to do something about it, Microsoft has released the biggest update ever for Windows. The free upgrade is designed to make users safer from cyberattacks by sealing entries to viruses, better protecting personal data and fending off spyware.

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates (search) said the upgrade, dubbed Service Pack 2, revises less than 5 percent of the millions of lines of code that make up Windows XP — but adds more value than any update the company has ever done.

Some of the nearly $1 billion that's gone into Service Pack 2 (search) also will be used on future versions of Windows. But Gates said it was absolutely necessary to give away the security advances now because of the barrage of attacks plaguing Windows-based computers.

"If we weren't viewing this as such a key priority, then we wouldn't be giving it away as a free thing," Gates said in an interview with The Associated Press.

Verizon and every major company in the world, relying on Microsoft products, knows Gates wants adware/spyware eliminated from trashing his operating system. Basically he's telling the networks and those monitizing system hijacking for advertising purposes and sleezy direct marketing can eat his dirty shorts. If it takes another Billion, pulling in Gov't favors (He's the #1 tax paying citizen) and a consumer education campaign to drive out the hijackers ...so be it.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    The bad news though is that they have reduced their cookie duration to 1 day! I'm not sure what reducing the cookie duration has to do with getting rid of parasites?.

Anyway, bravo to Verizon for getting rid of the parasites!
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, Bill Gates is a Saint. He creates a piece of crap that allows anyone to install anything on your PC and only takes 5 years to fix it. $10 says there are still giant holes.

As for Verizon, we had an email campaign encourging people to email earthlink and CC verizon how verizon's announcement was empty and Earthlink should use it in their advertising how some ISPs still used scumware for their own advertising.

Talk to some people in IT, this is going to be the camel that breaks these scumbags backs. IT is going to start asking why they are supporting companies that cost them thousands of man hours in clearing off machines. I meant that with Bryan from smooth corp, IT departments do not look kindly on companies that fund this crap. One day we will get Dell to change their mind, just got to get Gateway to stop using them first and then use it as a promotional tool.

Chet

You can bet Gates has heard it from all PC manufacturers like Dell and the bankrupt Gateway that BHO's are destroying their systems causing the warranty support costs to goi through the roof. Chet is nieve in thinking Dell or Gateway's management has anything to do with the launch or day to day running of their affiliate programs.

My 15.00 bet goes to the guy, who just spent 1 billion dollars on trying to foil the spyware/adware folks, that he's made personal phone calls to Mike Dell and the ponytial guy threatening to pull MS products from their production lines if he catches them OEM installing BHO applications. That message will get back to those hired gun AM firms soon enough as the FTC crap hits the fan.

Mike Dell bows to Bill Gates and the Intel group as they can bust his company faster then 180Solutions can fire a drive-by install partner. "Powered by Dell" isn't even a term within the computer manufacturing industry.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Wow. Yeah... Bill gates is a hero for the last 5 years of spyware... thats... it... (walks backwards slowly away) yeah... that is.. um... (turns and runs like hell).

By the way mike, while i never expect you to make a dime's bit of sense. The ponytail guy doesn't own gateway, emachines does.

Chet

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    "KDEdit's post" + "Haiko's link" = ????

Maybe Verizon isn't wanting to have to compete against their affiliates with ad buys through applications?

Chet your ignorance is only exceeded by your blind pre-conceived hatreds. Might have something to do with the company you keep and cater too.

FACT:www.emachines.com Corporate Background

eMachines, one of the world's fastest growing and most efficient PC makers, was acquired by Gateway, Inc. in March 2004 for $262 milllion in cash and shares. It remains a stand-alone brand that is sold through leading retailers and catalog and online merchandisers in the U.S. and selected markets abroad.

Since its launch in 1998, eMachines has shipped more than five million systems. It was the second-largest vendor of desktop PCs sold through U.S. retailers and has a rapidly growing notebook business. (bold part is Adwhore spin)

Internationally, eMachines' low-cost, full-featured systems are sold in Japan, Korea and the UK, with further expansion into Western Europe planned soon.

Wayne Inouye, who joined eMachines in 2001 and quickly turned it from a money losing business into one of the world's fastest growing brands, currently serves as CEO of Gateway. (eMachines was always a cheaply built POS using the lowest cost components just like the Gateway boxes)

If you want the complete background, including the manufacturing companies and parties involved in creating emachines and PeoplePC during the FREE PC craze days ...just ask... I invented the whole concept and kicked off the first supply chain delivery of eMachines to the USA. System builds were funded by Koreans and S. Asian computer manufacturers relying upon the spin of some .com bomb era thinkers.

They might have gotten the concept right when picking my brains but without consulting payments and stock options they only got the spin part about the demand for a 500.00 bare bones internet access appliance. Idiots assumed I meant to use dial up ISP services and retailers for immediate reach and fell on their collective butts.

IMS had a vision in 1998 that both the ISP services and computer manufactures would benefit from offering mail-in 400.00 rebates on Pc systems where internet access was the primary purchasing factor.... Everyone of the ISP/Pc vendors could offer subscribers "Broadband" alternatives to consumers as they became available in their local markets. The idea was to reduce the total cost of Pc ownership to those seeking internet access. The real distribution and sales channel for these PC systems was never devulged to those moving into this market hyping the FreePC craze. The real 1998 plan was to be marketed by the nationwide Gas, water and Electric utility companies who could stuff their monthly service invoices with signup forms and add charges to their normal service with cheap Korean/Asian built systems.

After all..they had "last mile" access to all Us and Canadian homes....plus a huge network of point to point right-aways for their utilities services. They'd inexpensively book the sales, bill the consumers on their in-place account systems, and work with Dial-up ISPs to migrate internet seeking customers to faster broadband connections as their were made available. None of these FreePC wanks knew I had utility companies drooling over getting a foothold into the internet boom industry in 1998.

ABW Ambassador
    Hey Mike, I will let you go look to see who the CEO is. And I would try to explain to you the deal and their attempt at saving the stronger brand, but why bother? Clinton ate your dog.

Chet

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread