Had one get deactivated because of some little mistake today, they said, noticed it because I had several hundred clicks from invalid links showing up at the bottom of the cj home page. After the advertiser contacted them and got it fixed, all of those invalid clicks went away? Why is that? Did CJ go back in time and deliver all of my visitors to the appropriate page automagically, or is this just to keep most of us from noticing? I wouldn't have noticed without the high number of clicks on invalid links, especially since I didn't receive the deactivated advertiser notice.

Curious as to why this is the normal behavior, when they were clicked on the were invalid, so, shouldn't they still show up as invalid so we can actually have a reason as to why we had no sales during that time?

I think you are splitting hairs. The report is designed to bring invalid links generating clicks to your attention. Once an advertiser is active or the reason for the invalid links has been resolved, the report is no longer valid.

If you generate any sales or leads from the clicks you sent during the invalid period, you will get credit for them if the txns occur after the account was reactivated as long as they fall within their referral period.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Okay, how can you make any sales from these links when the links goto that error page on cj, they don't goto the merchant website. That's why I asked, if I had not noticed, I would not have known, especially since I did not receive a deactivation email, and the report would be valid for the day in question because I received no sales that day.

Maybe I am wrong - I'll doublecheck. It is my understanding that the links still go to the advertiser's site. Did you chedck your links yesterday (or whenever the clicks occurred) to see whether they went to their site or to an error page?
    Todd Crawford

Ya, when I tried mine this morning when I first saw the report, they went to the cj error page, saying the link was invalid or they were deactivated, I forget now. Doesn't really matter I don't guess, just thought it would be useful to know. Now, it would be better if we could keep these merchants from screwing up to start with, hehe.

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    Maybe I am wrong - I'll doublecheck. It is my understanding that the links still go to the advertiser's site.

Just checked a page I had built of a deactivated merchant I use to promote which I previewed from my files. It goes to a CJ page with the following text.

"The link you clicked on has expired. It pointed to a Web site that was a member of the Commission Junction network and has since been deactivated or temporarily suspended. We apologize for any inconvenience.
    To reach the Web site you are looking for try typing their Web site URL directly into your browser address field, using an online search engine to locate their site, or calling them directly. We apologize for any inconvenience."

OK - I checked and here is what I found out.

If an advertiser is deactivated (due to non-payment, tracking, end of contract, etc.) a script will update their links and send them to an error page (the image will still serve). These links still set a tracking cookie if clicked on, btw. If the account it later reactivated and a transaction occurs (after reactivation and within the referral period) it will get tracked and the referring affiliate will get a commission.
    Todd Crawford

One of the UK networks sends dud traffic like this to a holding page with similar merchants banners giving us another bite of the sale cherry!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread