Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I just had a look into some of eB*y reversals, and noticed that they have been reversing valid bids/active registrations. How can I tell? Well, if only a few minutes have elapsed (based on CJ reports) between a click from my site and a registration on eB*y, and this transaction is reversed - well, then something very fishy is going on.

I have already dropped eB*y from all web sites but one - if you still have eB*y links somewhere, and are seeing reversals - DOUBLE CHECK all of them. Maybe it's not worth checking bids (although eB*y might be counting on this), but DO check all your active registrations.

If you still haven't dropped eB*y, do it now. A good replacement is Google Adsense - you get more per click than what eB*y is paying for a lead, and the best part is they DON'T get reversed.

I've noticed the same thing. My only explanation is that eBay has some affiliate links on its own site. Some links on eBay do go through ebay.doubleclick.net, so I'm guessing that Doubleclick gets those commissions, not us.

I'm curious, how do you feel about eBay's practice of redirecting Canadian/Australian/British/German visitors to the eBay site that matches their country (i.e. eBay.ca), thereby skirting paying the commission on a valid referral?

Ralph

It sucks.

I've got a whole red screen full of ebay reversals......well thats it...i'll leave the current links in place because i cant be bothered to remove them...but no more ebay pages ever.

Sorry ebay, but you are beyond a joke...your time will come to be knocked off the top..and a whole crowd of us will be there to watch you fall.

Malc
    Adverts

I'm sorry but you guys have got it all wrong, Todd Crawford was telling us only the other day that merchants do not scam their affiliates on purpose it is almost always a mistake.

Now stop moaning and keep putting those links up for eBay so they can cream even more from us cos CJ ain't gonna do squatt about it!
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Same here. No more new links for eBay since February, but I couldn't be bothered to remove any existing ones either.

They used to pay for my dinners, and now only breakfasts... when I get real hungry, their pages will be gone from my site to save some bandwidth.

It's certainly worth monitoring for now but what I have done is register as an affiliate to ebay in more than one country and post links to each country's version of ebay I'm affiliated to.

That way it can at least reduce occurrences of being reversed.

Looks like I'm doing the same thing as everyone else. New pages for eBay have been cancelled, after this latest fiasco. I won't take down any pages currently online for now, but they also won't be getting any attention, either.

I do check all registrations that are reversed, and some of them do seem a bit . That and the fact that they have taken a nose dive the past few months as well. Something is definitely rotten here.

eBay HAD a decent program at one time, but the latest changes have made eBay a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME TO PROMOTE! Leave current pages up, unless you find something better, but for Heaven's sakes don't add anything new, just gives them more opportunity for reversals.

EBAY = FIX YOUR PROGRAM! IT STINKS!!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    i have gradually started replacing all my ebay links with adsense! as said above, i will not get any reversals from them!!

it wil take a while but i hope to get rid of all my ebay links by the summer! good riddance to bad rubbish!

what I have done is register as an affiliate to ebay in more than one country and post links to each country's version of ebay I'm affiliated to.

Yes, that can work, but if you use the editor kit it doesn't help much. Although I believe that the other programs have editor kits, when using them they only show items listed for sale from that country. That usually severely limits the selection.

And even if you are a member of those other affiliate programs, unless someone explicitly clicks on a link for that country's program, you don't get the commission.

I've used GeoIP (freeware version) to determine the country of origin and show a link for the correct country's program (just .ca and .uk, as there is no .de program), however I still show the editor kit links because they are really the tool to sell a visitor on eBay.

Ralph

ABW Ambassador
    Gordon's observation is correct. Merchants don't scam their affiliates on purpose. This tracking/reversal problem will get fixed one day.

If I had any competition from any of the many affiliates out there, it would confort me to know that they are wasting most of their time promoting eBay and the like.

Keep up the great works guys. You've gave it one hell of a shot in showing us all to be so naive.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by kelly626:
    Merchants don't scam their affiliates on purpose.

They just happen to be really good at fixing the errors that come out in affiliate favors, while taking a long, long time to fix those that favor the merchant...

I've been checking this subject on another messageboard in the UK.

Ebay uses the same database for the US and the UK but runs separate affiliate programs. Many customers switch from ebay.co.uk to ebay.com and vica versa to buy something.

Your cookies don't track across domains.

I maintain links to both sites but that doesn't prevent cross migration and loss of commission.

Ebay should scrap all affiliate schemes where cross migration may happen within the same database and just run one scheme globally.

If Ebay was serious about helping affiliates they would do this. The problem is they don't seem interested.

This is causing a lot of ill feeling on our side of the "pond" as well.

Oh what a surprise..the ebay nickels have all come back today...now is that because someone at ebay reads this thread or is it that ebay really has got a grip on reality ???

Hmmm

Malc
    Adverts

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I've heard that representatives of ebay are going to be at the great ABW meeting/convention in LV May 1st. You can ask them about it personally there.

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar
    Cow gifts and collectibles

I've been checking this subject on another messageboard in the UK.

MrJupp, what is that other messageboard in the UK?

Ralph Slate

ABW Ambassador
    and yet more nickel reversals!!

i cannot believe that they are getting away with this crap!

Yes indeed. It's discussed on http://www.a4uforum.co.uk

Well, today was the last straw for me. I've eliminated all the Editor's Kit links from my site.

It's a crying shame, because eBay's links fit my site's topic VERY well and it was a great service to my visitors. The money isn't what's bothering me so much -- I made nearly $7 over the past two weeks, not counting reversals, and usually that would be enough to please me since these links work so well with my site.

BUT I can no longer take the insult of repeated reversals. I had an unusually high traffic weekend on one topic for which I feature eBay links, and predictably I sent a lot of bids to eBay as a result. And today they were almost all reversed. Talk about a slap in the face from eBay. They can take my traffic but they claim it's worthless????

Well, if it's worthless to eBay, I guess eBay won't mind if I stop sending the traffic.

I'm disgusted. EBay is a disgrace. Webmasters are not charities. If you make money from our efforts, pay us fairly.

I hear what you're saying. I had 11 out of 42 transactions reversed from 4/24 today. I think that there is a bug in eBay though. Nine of those transactions were from the same click -- and I shouldn't have been credited with them anyway.

So if it's possible for their program to have so many bugs where we get credited for a sale we don't deserve, what are the odds that we are not being credited with sales we do deserve?

Ralph Slate

quote:
    Ralph wrote: So if it's possible for their program to have so many bugs where we get credited for a sale we don't deserve, what are the odds that we are not being credited with sales we do deserve?
    How very true. Has anyone heard anything back from eBay directly? I sent them a message asking what was going on with all the reversals, but haven't heard back yet. Of course, I used CJ mail, so add two weeks extra for that.

Andy

from email -

eBay uses several marketing channels using different cookie codes and our system, unfortunatly, can not decipher on teh front-end which of these marketing partners (CJ being one of them) was the last cookie. We have to examine all transactions from each of the companies like CJ and reverse everything but the marketing channel that sent the final click.

Your live cookie end on the end-ser computer when :
    1) ANother CJ-coded click happens to eBay from another publisher
    2) 30 days after the click (as we have 30 day cookie duration)

As of February, eBay corrects transactions to prevent crediting multiple publisher partners for the same registration, active registration, bid or BIN transaction. A portion of each day's transactions may be reversed a few days after the transaction posts (after we have had an opportunity to compare the transactions of each of our channels to ensure that the appropriate partner receives credit). eBay and CJ are working hard to shorten any time difference between when transactions post and potential reversals. We will update all publishers on the process as improvements are made.

We are looking at Google, Overture, etc's natural algorithmic searches. As you know, eBay shows up in Google as well and we will be looking at end users that come back to eBay through our Natural Search results from search engines last, after visting from your link.

Your cookie duration is 30 days still, but they will need to come from your site. The more relevent your content is, the better!

---

If you got the laat cookie in you should get it unless perhaps cookies from other system/partners are given priority?

I find it strange that a registration, and then a bid can happen within a minute of each other, which results in an active registration, yet all of them get reversed two days later.

It's almost like eBay credits everyone who has a cookie on that computer for everything, then later goes back and reverses all but one of them. Why doesn't the last cookie overwrite the previous cookie(s)? Isn't that the way it works for all the other merchants? Why should eBay be different?

I also do not understand why my registrations are so low after these changes. I have a stable history of active registrations, now I'm not even getting 50% of what I was before. It doesn't make sense.

Something is very wrong in eBay land...

Andy

quote:
    Why doesn't the last cookie overwrite the previous cookie(s)?

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Clearly ebay has some work to do there. They must realize that if people get $1000 from bids and registrations, with no reversals, this "looks" so much better than getting $3000 from bids and registrations and having $2000 reversed. Apart from anything else, all that red ink is cluttering up my screen.

Somebody send their IT people a big pot of coffee and tell them to work late.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast