Hello forum,

I have an affiliate site selling products from a major retailer. I post lots of product links.

I just got an email from a prospect in a foreign country who wants to purchase some items, but wants to send me his credit card information. I sent him an email giving instructions on how to click through to the retailer from my site and order the product (in this case a camera). He replied that he wants a different camera and wrote "About payment can you accept my credit card? Please tell me further and reply me as soon."

I can again urge him to simply click through the link and follow the instructions, but I'm afraid he may not understand how to do it. it seems that English isn't his first language.

How should I proceed with this customer? I could offer to take all his information and simply do it for him, but something tells me that this is a bad idea, and perhaps even illegal?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how best to make the sale, satisfy the customer and not commit a crime or be the victim of some fraud.

you have done all you can do....

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

singingintherain,

Hi and Welcome to ABW

I would seriously suggest not to place the order for them and to send them instructions in their native language. Maybe someone here speaks the language and can help you.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    That is why i removed email contacts from most of my affiliate sites, there are million of scammers out there trying to pester you to "order" for them. Don't do it.

Chet

Thank you all for your input. I'll just repeat the instructions on how to click through the link. If he gets it, good.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I believe, in fact I'm 99.9999% sure, that it IS indeed illegal to enter someone else's credit card information.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I am almost sure this customer is from Nigeria or another country closeby. I get request like this almost everyday. I used to reply at the begining, now simply delete the email.

ABW Ambassador
    don't do it.

if the card number was stolen, you're the one in trouble because you're the one who placed the order.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi singinintherain,

Hello from a former Hudson Valley resident.

If you got one, you can expect to get lots of these requests from Nigeria, Malasia, etc. It's good advice to not even reply to these. You've only confirmed your email address to these scammers.

Wayne

quote:
    Originally posted by singinintherain:
    Hello forum,

I have an affiliate site selling products from a major retailer. I post lots of product links.

I just got an email from a prospect in a foreign country who wants to purchase some items, but wants to send me his credit card information. I sent him an email giving instructions on how to click through to the retailer from my site and order the product (in this case a camera). He replied that he wants a different camera and wrote "About payment can you accept my credit card? Please tell me further and reply me as soon."

I can again urge him to simply click through the link and follow the instructions, but I'm afraid he may not understand how to do it. it seems that English isn't his first language.

How should I proceed with this customer? I could offer to take all his information and simply do it for him, but something tells me that this is a bad idea, and perhaps even illegal?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how best to make the sale, satisfy the customer and not commit a crime or be the victim of some fraud.

Ignore them. They aint worth a penny.

I get these all the time. They usually want to buy large amounts. I ignore them, they are scams. If they weren't they would just click through and place the order.

Tell them they need to send you cash.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Here's an email I received a couple days ago:

"hello store

i will like to order from your store and i will like to know you
    shipping
    cost
    to lagos nigeria by fedex,ups,dhl,ems within 1-2 days of shippment
    and i will
    pay you with credit card, hope to hear from you soon.

Note: when you are mailing back pls mail your website address along
    regrads,
    kelvin
    "

got one very similar today, but offered cashier's check. We have to remember that cashier's checks can be cashed, but the bank comes after you when it fails to clear.

we need a poll: how many nigerian scams in any form do we see each month . . .

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    My Mama always said...

"Nigeria = No"

End of story.

This one was actually Singapore, and when I firmly insisted that he has to do the "paper"work, I never heard from him again. I suspect he was either using a stolen credit card and covering his tracks or something similar.

Shame, because this is a new thing for me, and so far I (apparently) have made NO sales. nada, zip, and whatever the word for nothing is in Singaporese. Onward and upward.

so here you are at step 1. we all have been at that point of no sales, some of us were in that boat for a long time and will be again.

you may find something in one of these threads to solve your problem, unless it will be taken care of by time.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread