I found the following on another forum. Is this permitted?

quote:
    Check out this cool site that I found, you can get a FREE iPod!

Just start a free account @ the website ( http://elitegaming.net/ipod ), sign up for an eBay account (free), make a bid on an item (you don't have to win), get 5 friends to do the same. If your friends would also like free iPod minis, all they have to do is refer 5 friends to sign up for an "offer" like an eBay account, and they can get their own iPod too!

The website offers iPod Minis, the new iPod 4th Generation, and a $250 iTunes Music Store gift certificate!

Want proof?

http://www.bar-of-soap.com/ipod.php This guy has screenshots and proof that his iPod was shipped.
    http://geocities.com/ghettopia/freeipod.htm This guy got his iPod and has pictures!
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1771223899144212/ A professional review of the program.
    http://www.dc.bbb.org/report.html?co...561&national=Y The company is registered with the BBB!

What are you waiting for? Sign up for your FREE iPod!
    http://elitegaming.net/ipod

[img]elitegaming.net/ipod/ipod[/img]

A couple of those website owners have hidden their real whois info. I doubt anyone really got a free ipod.

There are lots of these "matrix" schemes doing the rounds. Basically, it's a reworking of illegal pyramid schemes to make them legal (for now).

There's lot in consumer electronics, often listed in eBay as "get a cellphone for $25". Not really scams as such, they're more like gambling, except most punters don't really understand that.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I think getcha's main point is that the activity required to get the promised result is not paying cash or recruiting others ... it's registering and bidding at ebay.

This is pure and simple manipulation of the affiliate program and serves no-one of the ebay stakeholders.

You'd have to check the ebay affiliate (and other) TOS to be certain, but I'd be pretty sure this is a violation and ebay would want to know about it. As per other threads, I'm not sure I'd waste time dealing with it as an affiliate violation, I'd go straight to their compliance/fraud dept as these people are encouraging bids to be made with no intention of winning.

Anyone associated with ebay - affiliates, bidders, sellers, should play a part in stopping these kind of things undermining the way ebay works.

I "think" the only thing that CJ requires is that the affiliate identify themselves as an incentive program - it's up to ebay to review and accept the practices of the particular affiliate.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Previously, ebay did not allow this. But who knows now. They probably run it.

ABW Ambassador

Quote from CrazyGuy:

"Anyone associated with ebay - affiliates, bidders, sellers, should play a part in stopping these kind of things undermining the way ebay works."

eBay works? Apparently not for affiliates from what I have seen posted on this forum.

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

quote:
    RadarCat wrote:
    eBay works? Apparently not for affiliates from what I have seen posted on this forum.

eBay used to work. Since they've allowed the incentive sites in, it's been broken. I'm still appalled at the number of reversals I get, and Active Registrations remain steady at less than 10% of what they previously were.

Since traffic and SE listings are still good, what other change could have caused this to happen? What indeed...

The longer this continues, the lower the level of trust in eBay, and that will spread by word of mouth. Affiliates are eBay users too, and it's obvious eBay doesn't have our best interests at heart.

Andy

I've been getting some nasty reversals lately. I can understand if the click date was 29 days earlier than the event date -- plenty of time for the visitor to get to eBay some other way, but I've had a couple that don't even make sense.

I run a website with hockey card info on it. I had someone click my link for a player named Maxim Kuznetsov and view his hockey cards. He then clicked on the eBay link showing those cards on eBay. Twenty minutes later he purchased a photo of Maxim Kuznetsov from an eBay store (the order ID contains the eBay auction won for eBay.com auctions).

That was reversed, because eBay determined that someone else was more deserving of that sale. Which, of course, is complete BS. I don't know how this person got cookied by another affiliate in 20 minutes, but it happened. I'd bet money that this transaction was stolen by a dirty trick, not by a legitimate affiliate.

I had another one today where the visitor was cookied by another affiliate less than three hours after clicking from my site.

I think that this really sucks. The amount I'm making is getting to the point where it isn't worth it to run their program. I bet I'm not alone. The inherent unfairness of someone else getting paid due to an action taken from my site is what is driving me over the edge.

Ralph

Ralph,

Please e-mail the affiliate team and ask them.

A reversal isn't because of an overwrite by another affiliate. It's most likely due to direct compettition with eBay.

I've seen a sharp increase in reversals and nothing has ever explained why the ratio of BID/BINs to ACRUs has gone down the toilet.

Ralph,

Same here man...

FROM eBay:

"A portion of each day's transactions may be reversed a few days after the transaction posts (after we have had an opportunity to compare the transactions of each of our marketing channels to ensure that the appropriate partner receives credit). eBay and CJ are working hard to shorten any time difference between when transactions post and potential reversals. As you know, beginning April 1, 2004, cookies from eBay’s natural search traffic will compete with cookies from all other affiliates and partners. eBay natural search cookies are only dropped when a user clicks on an eBay URL in a search engine. This change does not affect searches done on eBay.com; only searches done on engines like Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc.

The registration came from your link, thus the cookie was dropped. Yet, the bid which converted the registration to an ACRU was the transaction that was was scrubbed against our other marketing channels/partners."

The online visitor clicked and registered:

Locked $0.00 Registration Event Date: 29-Jul-2004 19:40 PDT

1mn later:

Locked ($0.10) Bid Event Date: 29-Jul-2004 19:41 PDT

1mn later:

Locked ($10.00) Active Registration Event Date: 29-Jul-2004 19:42 PDT

I play fair game and not complain to much abour reversals, but this one is good isn't it? They give me the initial click to registration but not the bid not the active regsitration that occured 2 mn later?

JM

eBay does not allow a new user to register and confirm at the same time. If eBay is able to get the user to click on one of their links after you refer a new user but before they are done bidding, you loose.

Now for the hard question. Where online is this TOS listed? Don't give me this "As you know" shit, eBay.

The information posted by JM94400 seems to imply that internal eBay links do not drop a cookie. It says that only searches done on Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc. do this.

I searched for Maxim Kuznetsov on the major search engines, and didn't see any links to eBay in the first few pages.

Ralph

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread