2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I tried using individual product links for cameras -computers and some home electronics with merchants like PcMall/MacMall -eCost and others. Seems like all sales YTD from these merchants come from banners and some text only links. We're talking over 3000 click throughs and no sales. Most all product links within days seem to point to out of stock or discontinued items and the merchants are too lazy to update CJ's selections.

Give me some feedback as to which electronics-computer vendors show sales tracking to individual items. BeFree selections have same problem ...but some LS merchant product links have brought sales.

ABW Ambassador
    ancient web master seceret.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'll give you a hint; don't search in "consumer electronics" in the merchant links section at CJ.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Big Chuck ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Ditto!

Mike,
    No sales here on thousands of product links
    over months of time on computer related product links, but have made sales on computer products, but not the one clicked on. If that makes any sense.

I think product links at Cj are gimmies for the advertisers.

Just dropped eCOST, PCMall, MacMall and others alike. I would rather have out of stock pages then send any more free traffic
    to advertisers.

Good Luck

My product links used to produce fairly well but this last 9 months they have not done so good. (since the infamous CJ site make over) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I get decent CTR but few actual sales with direct product links at Amazon.

I use mainly product links and do well...
    go figure!

We switched a couple of our sites from lead-based to sell-based, mainly using CJ product codes. I wasn't overly thrilled with using them based on the reactions that I saw on the old CJU.

For the first couple of months, the response was not overly good, so we didn't add very many... But it was always improving.

The prior Google update moved us into the "Ooooo..." stage. The last Google update moved us into the "Holy S**t" stage.

The really interesting part is that the codes that we think are going to work actually don't... it's the ones that we put on there as filler that are pulling in the traffic.

Like someone said: the more we're around this game, the less we seem to know.

FWIW.

CodeJockey.

Forgot to mention...

While we were sort of put off by the CJU ramblings of sh**y tracking, we've been watching the results fairly closely for a couple of months.

Having been in the IT trade for (mumble, cough, cough) years, you seem to pick up a 'feel' for certain things. I seem to have a 'feel' for spotting patterns and trends in information that most people don't see. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

In our information, I see tracking gapping during the week which is fairly consistent from week to week. One of our merchants doesn't report sales on Sundays, yet we consistently send 'a couple' of sales every other day of the week. Another merchant reverses every 13th, 14th or 15th sale.

No, I'm not gonna prove it and No, I'm not gonna name the merchants involved, and No I'm not gonna defend it.

From our point of view, this is a cost of doing business... bakshesh, if you wanna call it something.

CodeJockey.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread