Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    So what's the prognosis..

Haiko and Todd both last year were working on the problem with Norton.

Nothing happened.

Todd a few months ago said... It will be taken care of in Late Spring....

Nothing Happened.

Would you think that CJ/Valueclick would have the balls and bucks to take them to court?

It's really dissapointing for this to continue.

What happened to Anti-Trust? Interference with interstate commerce?

It's time for CJ to solve this problem.

Poopster

CJ does not rule the world. Norton probably told them to stuff it. So, they have to stuff it.

CJ merchants and affiliates just have to suck it up.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Doesn't mean they shouldn't give it a go though. I would think that the PR alone would be enough to make it worth cj's while.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

ABW Ambassador
    First, it has blocked more than just CJ. Second, telling Valueclick to start a lawsuit they will lose is just stupid. If you are so hot on a lawsuit, why don't you sue CJ for not suing norton? Don't want to waste your money?

Chet

I don't believe Norton's ad blocking has much affect on my business.

http and a telephoto
    quote:
    Originally posted by Heyder:

How do you present your links? Cloaking mine resulted in a 400% increase in sales.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

quote:
    Originally posted by Heyder:

How can you make that statement when you have no idea what you are losing! Geeezeee

Heyder I have admired your postings so far, but this one is DOO DOO.

When you have completely blocked Norton and viewed an increase in sales THEN - Tell us how many sales Norton is affecting!

quote:

Heyder I have admired your postings so far, but this one is DOO DOO.

LOL, I don't think anyone could have said that better!

Seriously though, I have a hard time believing that I've taken major losses because of Norton. I don't doubt Deborah's claim in seeing an increase but is definately Norton or are other factors contributing? What happens if you shut it off for a day or two? Do you see a 400% loss or not?

I'm not claiming that Norton isn't affecting my business but I don't know for sure. I don't like the idea that they play any role in my life without my consent but I haven't noticed losses in earnings that I can't explain away with other things.

quote:
    When you have completely blocked Norton and viewed an increase in sales THEN - Tell us how many sales Norton is affecting!

I have not yet found a good solution that did not involve sending money to someone else looking to profit from our losses. I don't want to run some rediculous script off of someone elses server or send my visitors to a page to tell them how to turn off the setting. If you have a cost free solution that really works I'd love to hear of it and will try it out. If I immediately saw a large increase in revenue I'd be willing to consider fighting norton in any way I could.

Heyder,

Sorry there is no free way to fight the Parasites or Norton types.

When my sales dropped from a reasonable growth to ZIP ZILTH NOTHING! I had to take steps to figure it out. When I found the answers it took purchasing customized scripts and learning a new way to work around ALL the issues.

I have created a packaged deal that address these issues, the solution is not cheap but it’s not ridiculous. My time dedicated to tutoring others and the cost for the software should not be free. Nor should the solution be handed out like data feeds, the very second the solution is given away for free – NORTON and the PARASITES will work around it and people like me will spend a TON of money finding a new solution so people who want it for free can screw everything up again!

I hope this does not come out to hateful, but darn it FREE always comes at a price.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    How can you make that statement when you have no idea what you are losing! Geeezeee

And how can you make that statement? Shouldn't the proof have to go both ways?

I agree. I have a site where people let me know if there are issues, since it breaks the functionality of the site. with the kazaalite host file thing, i got numerous notices. For nortons, in the last year, i have gotten one.

Chet

http and a telephoto
    Heyder, I will tell you that the pages that are not protected from Norton are not converting. I can tell you that the next day after I cloaked the links sales started. And are increasing every day.

I will NOT turn the cloaking off to prove a point. I WILL keep making money. Chose to beleive it or choose to keep your head in the sand.

More computers are being shipped with Norton pre-installed. More consumers will NOT see the links on your pages.

The software I use was NOT made specifically to solve the Norton issue, it has been around for years. What is new is the data import script portion of it that makes it now viable as an affiliate link manager. No one is trying to profit from the Norton blocking.

This is a business, and a business has expenses to be successful. Free doesn't always cut it.

I bought WebMerge also and the pages that have CJ merchants on them haven't had a single sale.

I don't need any more proof that Norton is affecting affiliate marketing.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    And how can you make that statement? Shouldn't the proof have to go both ways?

I agree. I have a site where people let me know if there are issues, since it breaks the functionality of the site. with the kazaalite host file thing, i got numerous notices. For nortons, in the last year, i have gotten one.

Chet

The problem with Norton is there is nothing on the page to let people know something is missing!!!! How can they tell you what they can't see???? What they don't KNOW is missing?

Do you have a statement that "if this page is blank, let me know"?
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Because that is not how my site is created and that is not how nortons would affect it.

Chet

http and a telephoto
    quote:
    Because that is not how my site is created and that is not how nortons would affect it.

Chet

This statement makes no sense. Can you explain? If you have a work around for Norton et al too, then great. But if you have regular affiliate links up you are affected.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Yes it does make sense, do you understand how norton works?

What the end user sees on the site in question is not affiliate links, but descriptions. Those descriptions are not affected by any blocker, they are independent of the affiliate program. So there is nothing for norton to block.

Chet

Sorry Chez
    I don't follow this either.
    If there is nothing for Norton to block, then Norton won't cause a problem for people to report???

http and a telephoto
    So you have no links for people to click on? Just product descriptions? That is an interesting way to make sales
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Come on.

Seriously.

I have words right. Have you seen them? They are very similar to what appears in this post.

Then those words link to a file. That file is on my server. That file can be named anything, chet.php getaclue.php, anything i want. So those links will not be blocked, because they are not overtly advertising links, the link they link to are nothing more than internal "pages" on my site.

At this point on these forums, i describe as above. If i tried to use a word to define it - it would be argueded 50times that is wrong, that is this, that is racist against china, something. Seriously, this forum is getting unhinged.

So if norton was to block. It cannot start there. Their users will at least see that much of the site, and be able to see and click the link. What happens after that, is at the mercy of every stupid piece of software out there.

So the users will know something is wrong. They would then report it, email me, post in the forums etc. But this isn't happening over nortons - except once - which tells me: norton does interfere with my site, but compared to the problems because of the kazalite host file, i would call nortons impact tiny.

Which makes me the anti-christ and please, like last thread, can someone make an allegation about how i profit from norton? I liked that one.

Chet

Chet,

Example of why your theory is incorrect.

I know numerous people who are the “Average Joe” whom only use their computer to play games, buy stuff on the Internet, and read email maybe once a week. Just about every one of them has Norton on their systems. Norton was already there when they got the machine or they were given it by a computer repairperson, or they got a free trial thing and checked it out.

Of all of these people who see a page with no links on it----- I asked what they do. Every one of them said they would go back to Google or Yahoo to find a page that has links on it. PERIOD. They do not contact the Webmaster; they do not make phone calls. They simply go to the next site, which they CAN BUY the product.

ABW Ambassador
    Sandra, they see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links. They see the links.

And in case anyone was wondering, they see the links.

And in previous cases, they have reported issues. While the audience for this site in particular has grown, it has stayed the same makeup, and type of person, if it did not work, and it affected everyone known man living and plant as some of you insist.

A - ratio of traffic vs clicks would have changed drastically.

B - people complaining of broken links would have rose.

These things are not happening.

This is a site with nothing but essentially affiliate links, yet norton is not having a major impact on it.

Chet

quote:
    Deborah wrote:
    Do you have a statement that "if this page is blank, let me know"?
    As a matter of fact, I do have something very similar to that on some of my pages. I provide a link that goes to another page explaining why they can't see everything.

I've had several people thank me, they hadn't a clue what was going on!

Andy

http and a telephoto
    Well Chez Noir, God Bless you and good luck. I am glad all the people that visit your site are smart enough to turn Ad Blocking off on whatever software they are using.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    quote:

B - people complaining of broken links would have rose.

This has been repeated over and over again, I will say it slowly to see if people understand it this time.

THE LINKS ARE NOT BROKEN.... THE LINKS ARE INVISIBLE.... When Ad Blocking is on, there is a hole in the page where the link would be. Nothing else. Just no link at all.
    It isn't a broken link that they can't use. It is air.

Chez, you can keep talking to yourself, you are fooling yourself if you think you are not losing money. Go In Peace.....

Deborah Carney

Deborah,

There are days when the ignorant are stubborn and ignorant!

Don't even bother with Chez, he is back to smoking crack!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Chet said "They see the links. They see the links."

They DON'T see links or banners or buttons. They see any copy that is NOT linked but there is nothing to click on.

In case you haven't seen it yet - see this page of CJ links from my Norton blocks article.

http://www.5staraffiliateprograms.com/irvsblocked.html

See this Phillyburbs page where not only ads but even part of the site navigation is blocked.

http://www.5staraffiliateprograms.co...lyblocked.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast