Google has either elminated completely the listing of many of our pages, or reduced their listing by about 80%! Thus we are experiencing a tremendous decrease of our revenue.
    We have made no major changes to our pages for many months.
    We have seen all kinds of (totally incomprehensible) fluctuations in Google's listings before, but not to such an extend. Anyone else up here had the same experience?

huhu

What's the url of your website huhu?

Internet Cowboy
    All is well with Google here.

Google doesn't seem to have changed my rankings much at all... a few positions up or down in general. Hrm.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

ABW Ambassador
    I made a similar post about this topic in the midnight cafe. In my case, about 2 weeks ago my listings had a major fallout, but then all of a sudden yesterday, my listings came back and mostly at #1, even better than before. And, already I can see the difference in my sales.

Amazing the influence google has over our $. It's like we're their hostages. Lol.

Robin

Internet Cowboy
    REM,
    I get the kind of behavior sometimes too, but usually not on a larger number of pages.
    I remember Google doing that to my motorcycle category once. Great success then nothing for a few weeks, then back stronger than ever.
    We are indeed at least partially dependent on Google and their whims.

We lost 80% of traffic two weeks before from google due to same reason. I wonder if this has to do somehting with google ad words.

have any one experienced If you start advertising google drop you from search index so you spend more money on advertising?
    Thanks
    Asif

What's weird about this update (the monkey update) that I've noticed is that it's not weird at all. Some people say they lost 80% and others have gained 80%. Normally you see everyone saying "I lost all my ranking" but this time you have nearly equal amounts for both ways. I guess that's why they call it the monkey update because it swings both ways.

Has anyone noticed huge jumps in Yahoo and Msn traffic? That traffic has increased so much for me that I think it's reasonable to assume google has suffered losses in usage. Could that be what's causing the latest?

ABW Ambassador
    Google updates almost daily now.

"have any one experienced If you start advertising google drop you from search index so you spend more money on advertising? "

No. Not related.

"That traffic has increased so much for me that I think it's reasonable to assume google has suffered losses in usage. "

Yahoo is actually going to bump Google from the #1 spot shortly.

Considering that durring most of googles history they were tied closely with yahoo it doesn't suprise me. Were they ever really number one? I know they were usage wise but how many people really visited google? What about MSN I couldn't tell you how awesome they've become this last week. Did they move to their new release or is it still ink results?

I've noticed an increase in most of mine - not 80% though

Fred

my main site, an antiques directory, went from PR 6 and about 1500 hits a day down to PR 4 then 5 at around 600 hits/day. this started in March and slumped down over two months and has held steady at PR 5 and 600-700 hits/day since. it may be increasing hits slightly, but if so, very gradually.

but it didn't disappear. a google search on allinurl:www.mysite.com showed all pages throughout the period.

the reason for the slump was that google/adsense said they wouldn't pay for hits because it was on homepages/compuserve.com and since I didn't own the domain they wouldn't pay. so I moved it to its own domain, which means building up the incoming links all over again.

what a pain. those that link to it with a decent PR just don't answer the emails or make the changes. just gonna have to wait it out, I guess . . .

Herb could you pm the url of your antiques directory over to me? I've got a site that needs some coverage.

Asif,

Naturally, there is no doubt that Google manipulates our pages at will. They list no page of ours that can sell anything. But now they went too far. They almost completely eliminated even pages that contain free things. Many free things of no commercial value!

huhu

http and a telephoto
    My freebie pages are all ranking pretty high in Google over the past few day. Things like free printables.

Why is this thread in the CJ forum? Just curious, since there are a couple of other forums that would be more appropriate since no one has been mentioning anything specific to CJ.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

quote:
    Originally posted by huhu:
    We have made no major changes to our pages for many months.

google likes dynamic content - if your not changing anything that could be part of the problem

no problems here. we subscribe to adwords and also run adsense on our pages

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    > Has anyone noticed huge jumps in Yahoo and Msn traffic?

Well, that's the funny part, I have adsense on most pages, but no listing on google for these same pages. But msn and yahoo doing great and ranking high for the pages where google adsense pages are.

It's unexplained.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Naturally, there is no doubt that Google manipulates our pages at will.

I love it when people think that out of the billions of pages, google has it out for them.

Google is like the weather. Be happy when it is good, sometimes it gets crappy. But rarely does mother nature hunt down someone on a whim. Maybe its "them scripts ya'll runnin'"

Chet

They aren't knocking you down, they are just moving other pages up so you have nowhere to go but down. Have you started promoting a good search engine on your site yet? Let people know there are other engines out there like Teoma where you probably have good listings.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Am I listening correctly that Google, amongst other keyword categories, is going after the freebees sites. That would be a boon to the affiliates and shoppers as that ebiz category spreads BHO's and e-mail spam and the commissions on free products is zero.

Think like Google who caters only to their searchers. Content is content and Google bases relivency on ranking incoming links to content as if they were Googler bookmarks. This is a bot function. Link categories that bring them grief & complaints from Googlers, get priority on their whacking squads list. These are Google employees taking action.

Now Google's management wants to clean house on anything reeking of the spread of adware/spyware and any site that spreads searchbar hijackers fueling their sleezebag competitors. Unlike the networks wishy washy approach Google can afford to kick to the curb anyone remotely related to adware/spyware with purposeful action not related to the alogos.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Asif:

have any one experienced If you start advertising google drop you from search index so you spend more money on advertising?

No, I'm pretty sure this is not the case. My husband's sites that he adsense on have actually increased in traffic as well as the adsense going up. He hasn't been hurt one way or the other by this update or whatever it is, just me..although as of today, I'm still back up there. Can't complain.

My referrals from Google dropped dramatically a little over a month ago - about the same time that MSN dramatically increased. But MSN dropped down about a week ago. May change back tomorrow - who knows?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    What's weird about this update (the monkey update)

Nice try Heyder. You just want to be able to tell your grandkids that you named a google update.

Could a mod move this thread?

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread