My brother works for one of the big six accounting firms and tells me the general consensus of tax opinion is that there is no requirement under US tax law for international webmasters to supply W8 forms if they are do not own equipment or employees in the USA. It it irrelevant that the money comes from the US. This is also the position Google Inc take as well with their affiliate program.

I don't live in a US tax treaty country so I don't want to submit a W8 form and I dont want to be taxed by 30% in the US and then again in my own country.

Does anyone know if CJ takes withholding tax from payments if W8 forms are not supplied? Do you know if this can be discussed on a case-by-case basis?

Thanks,
    Jo

Hi Joanne,

Welcome to another kiwi... You need to fill out a W8-BEN - this says that you have nothing to do with US tax law, and are not required to pay any taxes.

You will find that all affiliate networks demand this and they _will not pay_ unless you have signed and sent it to them (trust me - I know)....

They are only covering their backs for the US IRS... of course our own tax system in NZ is a different story...

Any questions - please ask

I had a big problem with Linkshare about a year ago because of this. They withheld all my payments until they got the W8-BEN. So you had best get it in ASAP before this happens to you.

I am from Australia and I never had to - still got paid.

Thanks for everybody's replies.

Jimster : I don't live in NZ anymore. NZ has a tax treaty with the US so there is no double taxation (which is precisely what the W8 form is there to specify I am told). I live in the South Pacific now and we don't have a tax treaty with the US. I just want to know if they will still pay if I do not submit the W8 form because my tax advice is that I should not be submitting this form - it is the wrong form. I do not want to be taxed twice but I also do not want to lie on the form.

Ro1 : Are you talking about CJ? How long have you been with them for without submitting your W8? Thanks.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread