Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just like others I have read in here, our site has recently lost 80-90% of it's traffic, we are baffled over this and wondered if it was google penalizing sites that are mostly affiliate content like ours and others who use CJ's datafeed.
    We were getting 5000 to 8000 page views per day, and suddenly dropped to under 500. Google still has 39,000 or so of our pages listed by doing a site:www.bargainmonkey.com
    Which is the same as we had when getting good traffic. They must have pushed us way down in the results is the only thing I can think of.
    As for yahoo, our site was listed at yahoo a few months ago when we were still a static site, but since we went dynamic and started using the CJ datafeed, no listings at yahoo at all. Any help on these subjects would be appreciated.

Hi pcs800, You seem to be doing ok in Google's search results: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search
    http://www.google.com/search?q=shopp...&start=10&sa=N

I haven't checked Yahoo.

ABW Ambassador
    It has nothing to do with affiliate links, my guess would be is that it has more to do that you have zero original content on your site.

I took the first two sentences from 10 of your descriptions - each one resulted in over 5 pages of results, some over 10. Duplicate content is getting killed, rightly so in my book.

Chet

pcs800,

You are absolutely right. YES, people do think that our pages do OK, but they do not! Although you might see a page of ours well-ranked by Google, our statistics do not say so. This is most probably due to the fact that our well-ranking page is coming only out of 1 of the 3 Google servers, or something like that.
    It is really a pretty sad thing seeing people's pages reduced to nothing like this.

huhu

ABW Ambassador
    Like Chet said, and it's not so much a "penalty" as it is simply more proliferation of duplicates that effect each other's rankings; causing all of them to sink further. If you plug 10 lamps into one outlet that already has 10 plugged in, they all get dimmer.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Hi pcs800, You seem to be doing ok in
    >Google's search results

Yeah, but that's for a term that hardly anyone searches for, so is statistically irrelevant.

Chez Noir,

I understand that you are usually trying to tell people that what happens to their page listings is THEIR fault. So, all of a sudden, and after all these years, Google decides that pages have zero content? And what exactly is the content of Google's page? I would give it a BIG ZERO myself. It is nothing else than a bunch of links flooded by advertisements. Think about that. YOU said it, not me! For example, I just tried "dedicated servers" in Google. What exactly did I get? 10 links and EIGHT advertisements. GREAT CONTENT Google! Keep advising people to put content on their pages so that you can sell your AdSense on ... BETTER pages!

huhu

quote:
    Originally posted by Drewbert:
    >Hi pcs800, You seem to be doing ok in
    >Google's search results

Yeah, but that's for a term that hardly anyone searches for, so is statistically irrelevant.

"shopping guide" was searched 9455 times in July and hes on the second page. Thats not way down in the search results.

Second page? Whoever looks at second page? I don't even check to see if I am on second page. If it isn't on page one, I figure it doesn't even count.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

http and a telephoto
    I actually get plenty of hits from links up to the 3rd page. Especially if all the links on pages one or two are spammy or not what the folks were looking for, for instance they want to buy something and the first page of sites are links to pages that tell them about the product, but don't have a buy link. Yes, they are out there
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The second page isn't all that bad.

At least it's not too bad unless you have G set to return 100 listings/page, like I do, LOL!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I agree with what Loxly and Leader said. I'm amazed by how often I'll follow a referring link on my tracker back to Google's third, or even eighth page. In fact one of my favorite spots to be in is the bottom of page 1.

quote:
    If it isn't on page one, I figure it doesn't even count.

I think the value of page two only depends on what is listed on page one. I've had some awsome traffic recently to a PR3 page for my top producing merchant from a number 11 spot at the top of page two.
    ~Ernie

Bottom of page one is a great spot. I would take it above positions 4-9. I actually think 3rd is better than second too.

Regarding what google is doing will do and has done I don't think it helps to complain or feel bad or give up. I think it's necessary to move on and make improvements. If you don't you'll be broke come next month.

I wonder if a thesaurus in a php script that replaced keywords would help with duplicate content.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I wonder if a thesaurus in a php script that replaced keywords would help with duplicate content. ~ Heyder

Better still do it your self with variables
    place a few variables on each page or section and pull them into your content.

eg.

<?
    $brand=yourbrand
    $type=yourtype
    $sex=mens
    ?>

etc etc (I know I am using example variables that are available from a feed but you get the idea )

then pull it into your title, headers, keywords, desc etc etc like so.

<?echo$brand." ".$sex." ".$type?>  

[edited to include oops! Heyder I now see that I misread your post. Your idea is a very good one!]

Dirk

Ok, everyone has good points here. I especially like the thesaurus post, i was actually thinking of doing something like that.
    As for the comment from chez about his book, lets just hope for all of CJ's and other affiliate programs sake, that nobody reads his book.
    The internet is all about sales and making money, this is a clean honest way to take part and google is once again playing God and smashing 3 years of my work.
    We at one point in time were getting 15,000 - 20,000 page views per day using nothing but doorway pages, but that was when we were very new at this and did not realise it was not a good thing to do. Now we have created a php site with MUCH trial and error that works well, at least it used to.
    I also agree with the comment from huhu about googles content being zero. they are a search engine full of ads and links of their choice.
    In any case, we made enough money to keep us interested in continuing this but now have become quite discouraged. I will try writing some script to change meta content and see how that works out, thanks for the comments and good luck to all CJ's users.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    As for the comment from chez about his book
    I would like to chime in here and say that of every post I have read of 'Chez Noirs' there is just one(1) that I disagree with. That is of his 2074 post count and this post is definitely not that one.

Chez prefers to chase with a stick rather than lead with a carrot. That is his way. The information he provides is first rate and his comments are spot on.

I can see by reading his posts that he knows a hell of alot more about many things than I do.

I guess what I am trying to say is your interests would be better served by always treating his advice as constructive criticism and heeding it to your betterment rather than taking offence.

All the best,

DPG

I agree that Chez's post was very spot on, and i will certainly take it into consideration while rewriting the script for the site. I just don't think it is necessary to throw in the negative comment that will most likely offend people who might not be quite as in depth as he is at this kind of thing.
    This is how i see the post.

yeah, you are being penalized, and rightfully so, after all you have no original content, your site sucks and in my book you should have been ran into the ground a long time ago.
    Signed: I have much more experience than you do at this and i'll give you a bit of info at a time, but thats all.

If thats not the way he meant it, then my bad.
    But again, his point is well taken and I appreciate any help at all.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    pcs800 a concerted effort to please shoppers and info seekers is being made to protect the billions invested by the top 4 SE portals. The years of affiliate tricks for clicks players using SE spam games hopefully are over. Building pages that exceed the ones offered by many of the lame datafeed pages put up by merchants will alway pay dividends. Write for the shoppers ...not the SE's... and the SE alogo changes won't be subject to mass damage.

It makes sense to pressure merchants to improve their sites and landing pages and let the affiliates hype up the pre-sell and focusing. Pick out a niche' within a huge merchant ecatalog and showcase just that part. Key is doing this only for the honest parasite free merchant who has an AM on the conversion clue train.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    Write for the shoppers ...not the SE's... and the SE alogo changes won't be subject to mass damage.

Yeah, it's hard to be damaged by an algo change if you're pages are un-SEO'd and therefore are already at the bottom of the listings
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader, sometimes I swear you are my missing right brain. Right brain or was it left, how would I know?

ABW Ambassador
    For huhu and the like.

When it rains. Do you curse your god? Throw your fist into the air and then walk to your car in the pouring rain letting it come pounding down on you?

Or do you adapt, do you buy an umbrella? Cover your head with a newspaper? Google is very much like the weather, you can't control it, it is unpredictable, but you can adapt and you can learn to not be so dependant on it.

As for google being worthless, then why do you care about a worthless site?

There is seriously a flood of duplicate content sites. The original poster's site did not have one piece of unique content on it I could fine. Most of the time sharing the same content with 100+ other sites. If you have the exact same content as 100+ other sites, what is google going to do? Rank you all as #1?

And I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever said that I think google is penalizing affiliate sites. That affiliate marketing is dead or anything of the like. I have not said that once. From what i can see, Google is penalizing duplicate content. It doesn't care if that duplicate content is an affiliate site or not.

Chet

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >shopping guide" was searched 9455 times in
    >July and hes on the second page. Thats not
    >way down in the search results.

The search given was "online shopping guide" - how many time was that searched for in July?

485 (OV)

What Chet has been saying

If you have a bazillion datafeed pages and rely soley on Google and other SEs for results you're bound to get into a bind. After seeing the many posts here about datafeed pages getting danced on it'd be a safe bet to assume that pages and pages of the same content won't cut the mustard anymore. Time to make changes. Good Luck!
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast