ABW Ambassador

Hello, Fellow Web Site Publishers,

AdBlock.Org at http://www.adblock.org is a real eye-opener for those web site publishers who are concerned about the effects that Norton Internet Security has on their web site's ads.

It is devastating!!!

This web site presents a fair, informative, and balanced overview of advertising on the Internet and is worth reading every page.

AdBlock.Org shows various cases of what Norton does under various recoding situations to delete
    your graphic ads and ad links.

This web site also publishes the Norton Internet Security Blocked HTML List.

Norton is costing web site Publishers plenty in lost commissions just by the fact it deletes their ads and ad links.

Affiliate networks such as CJ also lose money
    when a sale is not made due to Norton whacking everyones' commission links.

Norton is NOT your friend.

Bye, bye, hard earned money!!!

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Is there not impending legal action against Norton on this issue right now?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Expect a lot more norton equipped visitors in the near future. An office superstore's ad in my city is 'almost' giving away Firwall+Antivirus 2004.
    "save $70 after rebates"
    Or maybe they Are'nt selling.

quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseHead:
    Is there not impending legal action against Norton on this issue right now?

I Say we all get together and form a Class Action suit against Symantec.

I am sure some greedy lawyer would take the case. Why wait for CJ or any other ad network.

quote:
    Originally posted by RadarCat:
    This web site also publishes the Norton Internet Security Blocked HTML List.

RadarCat, you're a lifesaver!
    I was absolutely astonished to read that list!
    Linkshare, linksynergy, tradedoubler, valueclick, clickxchange, they're all there!!!

I think that it's absurd - I have no words - I'm losing my confiance in the myth that Internet is free.

Monica

ABW Ambassador
    What would you sue them over? Should people who earn income from popups start a class action suit against mozilla, opera and now microsoft?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    What would you sue them over? Should people who earn income from popups start a class action suit against mozilla, opera and now microsoft?

1) For interfering with how we conduct business. I'll leave the legal terminology for the attorneys.

2) I wouldn't mind doing such. It's about time that those who want to show ads fought back against ALL these BS ad-hater programs!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    As far as Norton, i'm not sure whether it's an actual threat or just a perceived one.

I think ad blocking should be off by default, maybe there is some middle ground the networks or somebody can work out with them to get ad blocking off by default. Probably not.
    People don't mind text links or banner ads, they hate:
    1. Pop-up advertising
    2. Bandwidth hogging rich media ads.
    3. Ads where there is movement.

I want to see some actual numbers, what percentage of online shoppers roll around the internet with ad blocking on. I can't imagine people like looking at jacked up pages, but that's just me. Norton also affects non-affiliate sites. Having been doing this for over 2 years with thousands of people visiting my sites everyday, i've only had 2 emails about it. Also don't think the people that would go to a site like mine would have it on, would make my site unusable.

I dont think any judge is going to rule that people -DONT- have the right to block parts of a website they don't like. Be it flashing banners, dirty words, or even text ads. But who knows?

Also, maybe the impact of growing #s of ad-blockers is obscured by the growing #s of internet shoppers in general..

A Class action against a behemouth like Norton is asinine.

Have you seen http://www.adblock.org/article_adblo...on_script.html This is great!!!!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    That's amazing. I like the idea of alerting a visitor rather than blocking the blocking software. I get several emails each week from visitors who don't understand why they can't see product links on my sites.

Has anyone tested it on their site?

quote:
    Originally posted by Haiko:
    A Class action against a behemouth like Norton is asinine.

Have you seen http://www.adblock.org/article_adblo...on_script.html This is great!!!!

If someone can sue Mc Donald’s because their Coffee was hot. Why can't we sue Symantec. Sometimes the dumbest of lawsuits have won.

ABW Ambassador

quote:
    Originally posted by Monica:

RadarCat, you're a lifesaver!

Monica

Thank you, Monica!

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

quote:
    If someone can sue Mc Donald’s because their Coffee was hot. Why can't we sue Symantec. Sometimes the dumbest of lawsuits have won.

And sadly 99.99% originate from the USA.

Glad the 'Pond' is 3000 miles wide

Malc
    Adverts

quote:
    Originally posted by Mikey The Geek:

Mikey,

I didn't say you can't sue them, I said the undertaking would be asinine. Additionally, a personal injury case is tottally different than an app that blocks ads based on the end user's approval.

[edited to add]

I really think the script http://www.adblock.org/article_adblo...on_script.html is a real way to get the word out, than some postulations of action against Norton. CJ, BF, LS and the others on the list obviously don't see sueing Norton as an option.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by simey:
    Expect a lot more norton equipped visitors in the near future. An office superstore's ad in my city is 'almost' giving away Firwall+Antivirus 2004.

As I recall, Norton only gives away the first x months of service for free...After the free period they barage the end user with notes to buy and upgrade. I am not sure, but I suspect that the computer manufactures get a cut of the sale when the end user takes the bait.

In other words, they are being every bit as (if not more) slimy in their marketing the web sites they disparage for showing ads on their web pages.

The hypocrit looked at my life and found my life lacking.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread