Do I apped afsrc=1 directly to the qksrv tracking link or my site redirect link?

Do you use afsrc=1?

ABW Ambassador
    afsrc does not work with cj.com links.

carneol

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    To your site redirect link.

ABW Ambassador
    I thought it was to the links that caused the header redirect since their program "can't see those" to alert them it was coming.

And they do work with cj.com links.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    A link like that will only work if the AM talks to CJ and gets them to activate it. I believe it's a switch on CJ's side.

I'm 95% sure about this.

quote:
    Originally posted by BLFH (Ms. B):
    To your site redirect link.
    Right, the link on YOUR page that the user might click.
    e.g. http://mysite.com/jump.php?id=1&afsrc=1

quote:
    Originally posted by Sid_:
    I believe it's a switch on CJ's side.

Sid_,

Actually it's coding on the merchant's site, and while some can automatically accept the appendage, others don't, so the rule of thumb is to never add on to the qksrv[/b] and only add them when you use serverside redirects or otherwise masked links.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Thus the 95% sure. Thanks Haiko.

Answer: Redirect Script in My Site.

2nd Question:

What is the risk I need to face if I choose not to append afsrc=1 to my redirect script? (for more than a year I didn't append afsrc=1) Please explain in more detail. Thank You.

Red,

Your traffic to BF, CJ and PFX merchants is then fair game for any parasitic application to pop or overwrite or redirect on as you, as a publisher, are not in compliance with the publisher's requirements of the CoC.

Also Add afsrc=1 to all serverside redirects for LS merchants.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

I wish I get it correctly.

For the redirect script, if I do not append afsrc=1, when it is executed and redirect to the qksrv.net link, parasites are allowed to overwrite (hijack) the it and replace it with their own. On the other hand if I have append the afsrc=1 to my redirect script, the parasite that follow CoC rules will not hijack it.

If this is correct, then the Parasite need to read the "referral url" (which is the original redirect script) when they detected a qksrv.net link to see if afsrc=1 is available. Is this true?

quote:
    Originally posted by RedFish:
    For the redirect script, if I do not append afsrc=1, when it is executed and redirect to the qksrv.net link, parasites are allowed to overwrite (hijack) the it and replace it with their own. On the other hand if I have append the afsrc=1 to my redirect script, the parasite that follow CoC rules will not hijack it.

Correct!

quote:
    If this is correct, then the Parasite need to read the "referral URL" (which is the original redirect script) when they detected a qksrv.net link to see if afsrc=1 is available. Is this true?

Incorrect, they (mostly) read what is or would show in the browser window, so, IOW, they'd see http://site.com/whatever.cgi?link=23 instead of a Network link (not do anything) and then suddenly see the merchant URL, and then they would pop on the merchant site.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Haiko,
    Please correct me where do i add the afsrc=1

1. mysite.com/redirect.aspx?linkid=10&afsrc=1

or

2. http://www.qksrv.net/?XXXX&afsrc=1

or Both above?
    Thanks
    Asif

Only #1

Continued Success,

Haiko

Always #1
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Thanks Guys,
    Thanks
    Asif

I think i FINALLY UNDERSTAND!

Parasite does not really "hijack" and replace a tracking link. What they did is if they notice the infected visitor is visiting a CJ merchant, they will then reload the page with their own CJ links! That make more sense to me now. They already have a database of CJ merchants and their URLs where they should activate their "infection" whenever the visitor visit these sites! Whether the visitor come through another affiliate link or they enter the link directly into the browser means nothing to them because as long as the visitor is visiting a CJ merchant site, they will HIJACK!

Oh, it is more serious then I think. I better add the afsrc=1 now to ALL my links and hope parasites do follow CoC!

Do all these imply that using META REFRESH is better than header redirect since Meta Refresh is client site and qksrv.net link does appear in the browser address bar.

Why does CJ not add that to URLs where needed automatically to avoid confusion?

I would have thought you were supposed to just slap it onto the end of all your links, before now.

Apparently, it has to be a redirect link. No one told me that before. And, secondly the merchant should be checked to see if they support it before you do it. Is that right? This is all news to me and I have been reading here a long time!

Now, I am very glad I never got all ambitious one day and tried to use it. I would have screwed everything up. If anyone added it to links erroneously, do they have bad links that won't track?

That's the problem with "fixes" like this that are poorly explained based on the presumption of too much previous knowledge. If a person does not get it right, at best it won't help and at worse, it can distroy their work.

If this is such a good thing, it seems to me the networks are remiss for having not added it to all the appropriate links they provide. Why is this even left up to the affiliate to maybe figure out and maybe screw up?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    Why does CJ not add that to URLs where needed automatically to avoid confusion?

Because it is designed to be added to your URL's and not theirs. How are they supposed to do that?

quote:
    Apparently, it has to be a redirect link. No one told me that before.

Do a search for afsrc=1 and affsrc=1 (the incorrect spelling many were using). I know personally I have posted this information numerous times here on ABW over years it has been in effect. Many others have also explained it numerous times in many threads. After it came out I contacted the Networks for clarification on it's proper use and posted their responses here.

quote:
    If this is such a good thing, it seems to me the networks are remiss for having not added it to all the appropriate links they provide.

Again it was not designed to be put on the Networks links. However, I totally agree that the Networks have been very remiss in informing affiliates of this option especially since they made it part of being compliant and providing easily accessible and easily understood instructions to all affiliates regarding this coding.

ABW Ambassador
    I suspect that most sites using afsrc=1 are data driven. You use it when you store your URLs in a database then redirect from a call to the database.

Appending the tag is generally done programatically. As such, CJ is doing good in treating this as an advanced feature.

ABW Ambassador
    So the parasites can steal from us and stay within the COC if we do not put in afsrc=1, in fact, the thieves are compliant while we are not.?!

Wow.

If we drop all cj and befree merchants who partner with parasites, then would the parasites still be able to steal from us?

I would assume that if the merchant does not partner with parasites, we would be completely safe from such theft.

quote:
    Originally posted by womanht:
    So the parasites can steal from us and stay within the COC if we do not put in afsrc=1, in fact, the thieves are compliant while we are not.?!

YEP!

quote:
    If we drop all cj and befree merchants who partner with parasites, then would the parasites still be able to steal from us?

The traditional parasites, ebates etc no, but with 180, whenU or claria who does contectual advertising, they could pop on that merchant and offer up an ad for a competitor.

Also please remember that the new CJ URLs are not published in the CoC.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread