Hi, All:

Maybe a dumb question:

I use WM to build many of my sites. Unless I specify the "RAW" format for links, when I append afsrc=1 to my direct (BUYURL) link with an ampersand, the ampersand is coded as "& amp;" (ignore the space I added to prevent it being displayed as HTML).

Will this form work as well in the link as the simple ampersand symbol? I'm using it in simple HTML pages.

I've got lots of templates I'd like to not have to change, as I go back through my sites and convert them to the new links.

Edited to add:
    Related question: Should we add afsrc=1 to the IMPRESSIONURL entry in the datafeeds, or only the BUYURL?

Thanks!
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

ABW Ambassador
    My opinion is you better be appending afsrc=1 to all your links (the link portion and not the image tag).

In the past, it was stated you do not need to append afsrc=1 to any cj links you got from the system. I know full well they are not going to tell affiliates all of their new domain names and so it seems VERY LIKELY that they aren't going to tell the parasites either.

The current network links (with a varying domain name) "without afsrc on them" would seem to be just more tasties for the parasites to chew on.

Before, the parasites knew the domains to not redirect on - do they now? Were parasites given preferential treatment by getting a complete list of domains to avoid overwriting on? Are links now obtained from CJ automatically appended with the afsrc on them? NO. Are datafeeds obtained from CJ automatically appended with afcrc on the links? NO. As an affiliate of the masses, can you verify that a parasite hasn't overwrote your link and hasn't hijacked your commission NO.

Does everything seem fine?

Thank you CJ!

quote:

My opinion is you better be appending afsrc=1 to all your links (the link portion and not the image tag).

In the past, it was stated you do not need to append afsrc=1 to any cj links you got from the system. I know full well they are not going to tell affiliates all of their new domain names and so it seems VERY LIKELY that they aren't going to tell the parasites either.

The current network links (with a varying domain name) "without afsrc on them" would seem to be just more tasties for the parasites to chew on.

Thank you happypoon.

I was thinking about that issue and before I get around to ask about it you posted the answer.

Thanks.

Sal.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    > I was thinking about that issue

Well I was thinking of it too. Think I am going to put this on my next few WebMerge datafeeds from cj as a test.

Good suggestion, thanks.

Thanks -- I can certainly believe that all non-image-tag links should have the afsrc=1 added. No argument there.

I'm hoping for inputs regarding the options I have in the *format* I can use to add it:

A) Will "&afsrc=1" and "& amp;afsrc=1" (without the space) both work?

B) I understand that one uses "?" to add the first parameter to a URL, and "&" for subsequent ones.

The IMPRESSIONURL in CJ's feeds doesn't have any added parameters. So that would imply adding the afsrc=1 with a "?" character for that.

But I've noticed that when the BUYURL gets processed by CJ, by the time it reaches the vendor's site it's been expanded to hold the PID and such as added parameters, and they come before the afsrc=1 in the string passed to the vendor.

So to have the added afsrc=1 work out right, it should presumably be added to both the BUYURL and the IMPRESSIONURL with a "&" because the link (after CJ processing) will presumably end up having the PID and such added into it before the afsrc=1.

I hope I'm making sense here.

Any thoughts? Am I right about using the "&" prefix for both URLs?

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    Are datafeeds obtained from CJ automatically appended with afcrc on the links?

Just a technical point of clarification to what Poon said. If you will be using those URL's in the datafeed in a server-side redirect, then the &afscr=1 needs to be appended to your click link that calls that URL in the feed, not the actual URL in the feed. They won't be able to see that afscr=1 any more than they could see the qksrv link in the past which is why we have the afsrc=1. If the URLS in the feed are going straight into your web pages and that's the actual link your visitor's will click on, then that's when you would append the &afsrc=1 directly onto the link in the feed.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Mike,

I would think that if what the browser winds up reading as the URL is "&&afsrc=1" you could wind up with some problems.

One way you might possibly get around the issue you seem to be having with WM, is to put the &afscr=1 into your template vs your feed. IOW, append it to [BUYURL]&afsrc=1 in your template. I know I've done something similiar like that with WM in the past (I don't use WM that much) for additional code I wanted for my URL's.

I don't see any reason to also append it to the impression url.

regardless of what agreements have been made in the past . . .

what happens if that little bit of extra code becomes a target?

quote:
    what happens if that little bit of extra code becomes a target?

That is highly likely to become something that will cause a link to be blocked by Norton and their ilk.

Could you more clearly say, "This is an affiliate advertising link"? Don't think I will be using it, myself.

I am surprised they don't already use it.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread