From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09...ys_musicmatch/

quote:
    Yahoo! is to buy digital music company Musicmatch for $160m in cash, the two companies said today, to springboard the portal's own entry into the emerging online music business.

Musicmatch launched in the late 1990s as a subscription service, but opened an a la carte download store last year largely in response to Apple's iTunes Music Store.

Since then it has partnered with Dell to power the PC maker's own digital music service, and is said to have almost reached a similar agreement with HP until the latter made a last-minute switch to Apple. Sony has a long relationship with Musicmatch, bundling the latter's jukebox software with its optical drives, and more recently with the HMP-A1 hard drive-based MP3 player it offers in Japan. Many other MP3 player, optical drive and other computer component makers bundle Musicmatch Jukebox.

Whether these relationships continue following the Yahoo! takeover remain to be seen. Certainly, the acquisition is not expected to be completed until Q4.

While Musicmatch has got its software in front of tens of millions of PC users - in part through a strong retail presence, but mostly through its bundling deals - its music store hasn't won the mindshare that rivals Napster and iTunes have achieved. With Yahoo!'s branding behind it, that may change.

For its part, Yahoo! said the deal "bolsters our strategy to capture the largest audience of consumers as they make the shift to digital music" and to become "a major player in digital music".

"Our goal is to give consumers the music they want, how they want it, anywhere they want it," said Yahoo!'s music chief, David Goldberg. So presumably we can look forward to Mac and Linux versions, eh, David? No, thought not.

The deal also increases Yahoo! scope to serve ads, and potentially provides it with a bigger audience to show those ads to.

Well, I've only done a small number of sales with Musicmatch, but I refuse point blank to do business with scumbags likes Yahoo, so I dropped them right away. Bearing in mind Yahoo's habit of shafting webmasters (the great Yahoo Directory and Inktomi scams) then I'd suggest bugging out of this asap.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

This doesn't make one lick of difference, IMO. iTunes has already taken off like a shot, building upon the massive market share of the iPod.

(I'm an Apple fan, as you can tell. )

I don't think it matters either, I do not know anyone that has ever bought digital music online at all.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    I wonder what the music industry thinks of this. Since Yahoo is the biggest supportet of Kazzaa, will they have issues with Yahoo now trying to play legit? Will the industry force them to drop their support of kazzaa (through overture)?

The last time on this, with the toolbar, while Yahoo decided to cave-in and block claria ads that were installed through Kazzaa and other places, they insisted that would not affect the relationship between overture and claria (overture's biggest customer).

I wonder now.

This would make yahoo the only real player both in illegal trading and legal trading.

Chet

quote:
    This would make yahoo the only real player both in illegal trading and legal trading.

Yahoo are great at playing both sides of the same coin, aren't they? On one side they trumpet their "anti-spyware" toolbar, on the other hand they have a healthy relationship with parasite pushers through Overture.

Sure, I've got no beef about Musicmatch one way or another, but after the Inktomi scam I swore never to generate another cent for Yahoo.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread