Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Started a new thread since you seem to be missing Poon's question:

"Since the parasites stayed away from qksrv links and it's likley you didn't divulge a big list of domains to the parasites, it would seem that the new links are "fresh meat" that the parasites can pop up on. Is this is the case, why have you not said anything regarding this as an issue for affiliates to consider?"

ABW Ambassador
    In any case, it allows parasitic operators to skirt the issue of cookie overwrites by simply writing a new cookie while leaving the existing cookie intact.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Seems like shoehorning CJ's favorite BHO's into this Ad blocking formula causes all their merchants extra work. No longer can a merchant automate sales reporting. All sales potentually contain multiple tracking cookies due to the BHO's placing new cookies from the point of sale pops. Are merchants seeing multiple CJ cookies on orders?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Mike has a very good point.... it might also no longer be a case of last click getting the sale!!!

omg... did I really say that out loud? I liked one of Mikes post's? I MUST be sick!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Mike has a very good point.... it might also
    >no longer be a case of last click getting the
    >sale!!!

Sigh. No.

These new domains are to prevent qksrv.net from appearing in HTML, and thus prevent certain software from triggering something when it sees qksrv.net in HTML.

The date path still goes through qksrv.net and that's where the cookie is.

Sheesh.

ABW Ambassador
    Drewbert - you obviously havn't been watching cookies created from the different cj domains.

You will get a cookie for each different domain that a link is clicked on and this is vastly different than the processing as it was when each affiliateid was clearly illustrated for each merchant in the the old qksrv cookie file.

To believe that NO problems or mistakes will occur from having potentially multiple cj cookies all for the same merchant on a users machine is a stretch as far as I'm concerned.

As far as Todd avoiding the question.....

It'll keep being asked.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Would a merchant be able to offer some clarification in Todd's absence?

I'd be curious to know whether merchants see multiple cookies with the same PID but referencing different server domains. It would be helpful to know whether any CJ server's cookie can overwrite any other CJ server's cookie or not.

In the meantime I'm not going to use more than one server domain (one for click and one for image) on any given page.

I think maybe Todd doesn't know the answer for certain. I'm sure he's looking into it (I hope). You'd think he'd at least come here and say so.

I like traffic lights
    quote:
    Originally posted by happypoon:
    Drewbert - you obviously havn't been watching cookies created from the different cj domains.

You will get a cookie for each different domain that a link is clicked on and this is vastly different than the processing as it was when each affiliateid was clearly illustrated for each merchant in the the old qksrv cookie file.

Sorry but you're wrong. The primary domain that you have in your HTML code does NOT have a cookie related to it.

Cookies are NOT being deposited on all the extra domains. There is one difference in the cookie system, but I'm not discussing it here.

The main cookie is still at qksrv.net

I like traffic lights
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rhea:
    It would be helpful to know whether any CJ server's cookie can overwrite any other CJ server's cookie or not.

This is a function of your browser and system security. It has nothing to do with CJ's system.

Browsers (these days) do not allow a server to gain access to cookies owned by other domains.

THe only way someone can play with another domains cookies is if you have an OS that allows someone to download software onto your computer and your operating system gives them access to every file on your computer.

OS's that allow this: Windows
    OS's that don't: Linux, OSX.

End of story.

ABW Ambassador
    OK well, I guess I'm seeing imaginary cookies on behalf of the new domains created in my cookies folder. I know my sight is getting bad but had no idea I could see things that aren't even there.

quote:
    Originally posted by Heyder:
    I think maybe Todd doesn't know the answer for certain. I'm sure he's looking into it (I hope). You'd think he'd at least come here and say so.

I posted in the other thread that Todd was out of the office all week and then it's CJU - which starts today.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Thanks for the info, Drewbert.

I just know that if I could see a flowchart I'd understand how this works.

ABW Ambassador
    Tood, i see you posting today. Can you please answer this question. Thanks.

"Since the parasites stayed away from qksrv links and it's likley you didn't divulge a big list of domains to the parasites, it would seem that the new links are "fresh meat" that the parasites can pop up on. Is this is the case, why have you not said anything regarding this as an issue for affiliates to consider?"

I am not going to comment with specifics. I will say that we are taking the same precautions to prevent overwriting of links by software applications as we did previous to releasing the new domains. If you read between the lines, you can assume that this means you do not have anything to worry about.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

ABW Ambassador
    Todd...

I didn't ask the question to have to read betweens the lines.

I'd appreciate a straight forward answer as to if I should be appending &afsrc=1 to the new domain links or not.

I'm not a mind reader! I can see reasoning where I should be adding the parameter but I also see resoning "modification of links may effect tracking adversly" also says I shouldn't.

Being able to make money on the links provided by CJ "or potetially not" is something I shouldn't have to read between the lines on at all.

I'd appreciate you being forthright with this in mind.

quote:
    I'd appreciate a straight forward answer as to if I should be appending &afsrc=1 to the new domain links or not.
    afsrc=1 was never meant to be added to network generated links (i.e. qksrv.net) - this is for server-side redirects only.
    Todd Crawford

ABW Ambassador
    I guess it's a super secret good reason for not telling us. I always got the network generated links and the parasites were supposed to recognize them and not pop off them because they knew of qksrv.net. The new domains are supposed to be a secret so how do they know not to pop off them? Probably some technical reason that would go right over my head or i'm sure you thought of this already? I guess some good old fashioned testing to know for sure. So the parasites won't pop off the new CJ links, right? That's what i want to know.

Tood,

Never mind the shilly shally dance.

It is very simple.

Parasites can pop off the new links = yes

or

Parasites can pop off the new links = no

Pick one.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Todd I see lots of CJ merchants being promoted by a forced cookie theftware program www.ez-searching.com and their redirect site www.thedesktopshopper.com

Entire HTML to qualify for hunbdreds of thousands in CJ -LS and BF commissions...

<html>
    <head>
    <title>The Desktop Shopper</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0; URL=http://www.thedesktopshopper.com">
    </head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" rightmargin="0">
    </body>
    </html>

SWEET ...look into this one as Linkshare just gave them a $15,000 Titanium prize award. Maybe you and Stephen could continue on in the cookie stuffing -cookie tracking -best trusted network thread. Is this outfit violating your new TOS and CoC??
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    afsrc=1 was never meant to be added to network generated links (i.e. qksrv.net) - this is for server-side redirects only.

Todd, I wasn't asking regarding "(i.e. qksrv.net)". I was asking the question in regards to all the new domain names that aren't qksrv.net. Will the parasites pop on them without &afsrc=1 or not?

Please don't confuse the matter further with your next statements.

I can't help but say I'm very concerned how you have skated around, ignored and have been intentially vague regarding an answer to a very simple question.

MIke,

I wish I could be truthful and tell you I appreciate your insight/help but that wouldn't be true since you are posting off topic.

Secondly, we are well aware of this publisher and their compliance issues (it sounds like LS is once again caught unaware of how publishers drive traffic and results).
    Todd Crawford

Poon,

You do not need to add afsrc=1 to any links generated by CJ.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; November 5th, 2005 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Changed affsrc to afsrc
    Todd Crawford

ABW Ambassador
    One more time, simple question:

Can parasites pop off the new links, yes or no?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast