(eBay affiliates please cross-post replies to http://forums.ebay.com/forum.jsp?forum=118)

Here's something nice.

I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. I hope it happened recently since I know I checked these guys out in the past.

This is an example of a CJ affiliate overwriting cookies AFTER you send them to eBay THROUGH a link on eBay.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is OK via the TOS since Andale isn't embedding CJ code on eBay itself. Instead, they have a creative on other people's auction items that tempt visitors into clicking away from eBay then following their link and cookie back to eBay.

Andale is list auction photos for their visitors. MORE THAN EIGHTY PERCENT of all auctions are now driven by Andale each week according to their website.

According to http://www.andale.com/corp/us/about.jsp their members pushed $8B last year. Check the same page and you'll see the first link to eBay:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-1541777-2202639

On August 25 Andale appointed a former eBay Sr. Manager to their board.

I'm not saying Andale did anything wrong. We should tip our hats at them.

Here’s how to test what I’m talking about:

1) Go to eBay and search for item 4037152064 which is a Jessica Alba 8x10.
    2) Scroll to "Click button to see all of my eBay items." And click on the Andale button.
    3) View the source on the page. It will appear blank. Scroll down for source.
    4) Search for qksrv

Is this the million $ affiliate? What do you think?

From
    ebays terms:
    quote:
    7) You are not permitted to include affiliate links on any ebay.com page or eBay owned page, such as an eBay listing or eBay Store.

8) You are not permitted to use affiliate links to promote your own eBay listings or eBay Store, or those of anyone you are affiliated with.

Surely, "see all my auctions here" followed by a page of affiliate links is against the terms.

Ebay owns a piece of Andale after giving them some investment capital, but this wouldn't surprise me.

my question is simple??

why promote ebay... when you know 80 to 90% of your clicks are going to be reversed????

I can think of better ways to intise my customers!

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    An eBay auction photo supplier was caught cookie stuffing using images a few years back IIRC and we discussed it here and they were nailed.

Hopefully, the same will happen to Andale.

If not, I guess it's time for me to start up an auction services business!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:

7) You are not permitted to include affiliate links on any ebay.com page or eBay owned page, such as an eBay listing or eBay Store.

8) You are not permitted to use affiliate links to promote your own eBay listings or eBay Store, or those of anyone you are affiliated with.

IMHO, Andale is doing nothing wrong. They are not including affiliate code in ebay pages or any page owned by ebay. They are using CJ liks and ebay's api to send traffic from Andale gallery to the product page at ebay. If someone bids/buys, they get paid.

They are not using affiliate link to promote their OWN listing, rather they are promoting someelse's listing.

They are not cookie stuffing either. Cookies are created only when someone clicks on ebay links at Andale gallery.

I see nothing wrong doing any of these. In fact, they are adding value to the service and making money.

Am I happy about this? NO. This explains why I keep lossing money on ebay. But I do not see any wrong doing.

I bet they say this isn't against the TOS. Term 7 doesn't apply because the page is not owned by eBay. Term 8 doesn't apply because the auction owner is not getting the commission here.

I suppose the word "affiliate" in term 8 might be the sticker though, because if you're providing a "free" service to someone, you can arguably be called an "affiliate".

Sadly, I don't even think this is the least of our worries. I've been seeing more and more instances of people leaving my site due to a specific item on eBay, having a user register and bid on that item, and then having the commission reversed because someone else got the cookie.

That doesn't pass the smell test -- someone is getting in between somehow, but I just can't figure it out yet. And eBay won't reveal who that is (they verified that some other channel got the sale of the item that I referred).

The problem is, their program is so easy, and arguably provides a service, so it's hard to pass up the $100/month that you can earn just out of principle that you should actually be earning $300/month.

Ralph

Sorry Guys I cant understand one thing and i guess thats why I still have "Newbie" under my name. For instance: if a buyer goes directly to the ebay site, without using affiliate links, and sees the item and then clicks the button that says "Click the button to see all of my ebay items" and then returns back to ebay with the andale cookie and then bids. Why would ebay wants to pay the commission on that bid?
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

ABW Ambassador
    Ahmar, most affiliate programs work that way. Andale issue is different than that!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread