ABW Ambassador
    I recently got access to the cj datafeeds and I'm now going to be switching every merchant that has a datafeed on an alternate network to them.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have logic to only update rows that changed between one run to the next. With the recent changes where a different domain name comes across for a link practically everytime a new datafeed is generated, I see a huge amount of rows being deleted and inserted simply because a different domain was used from one download to the next which adds in a ton of processing I could otherwise bypass.

I'm not near enough crazy to put logic in my code that says to ignore changes in a merchants url before considering it as changed so I'll be switching datafeeds where possible to ANOTHER NETWORK where I can.

I haven't seen any convincing data that the new domains are resulting in increased sales "I missed it - if it is around".

Anyway, I was curious if other datafeed users have considered this or considered the impact.

happypoon,

The system I use only takes a few minutes to swap out the feeds. Originally I did the comparison option as you explained; now I simply swap them out. I timed the difference between comparing the data feeds and swapping out a feed, the entire process was faster swapping out the feed than it was to go through the comparison option.

I see no increase or decreases with the new domains, its still my belief if you mask your links; as long as your site is not rejected you will be fine.

ABW Ambassador
    @Sandra
    I've got close to two million products currently and when linkshare gets off their butts and helps me figure out why I can't access their datafeeds, that'll most likely jump to over 4 million pretty quick. With this in mind, I can't see just replacing entire datafeeds everyday or every week!

I've got a very robust server along with 7 PCs here at the homestead and processing time locally nor on my internet server is an issue with the architeture design I have... I just hate updating rows on my server because a fricking url changed!

If I accpeted datafeeds as is, did little/no manipulations and was willing to sacrifice many of my customizations, I'm certain I could do overall processing quicker "and much simpler" using a straight file dump and load on the server which is lightening fast.

As an experienced architech, consultant, programmer and as an affiliate with his eyes open concerning duplication and penalties with the SEs, I wasn't inclined to take that route and took the extra time and development efforts to optimize my processing time locally as well as reduce the data ftp'd to and processed by my server.

Consider the JC Whitney datafeed alone which came in today at 106,083 products. By the time I remove duplicate rows (by my key) it falls down to around 32K products. I then remove products that have dup (prod descriptions, images and price) and end up with just a tad over 16K products I'll market (from a datafeed with over 106 thousand rows). Of those 16K products, todays processing shows 1,383 new inserts, 15,388 updates and 11 deletes. How many of those 15K updates (since last week) are due to a fricking url change? I'll wager a bunch! Do these kinds of conditions sound like efficient processing to you?

I wouldn't begin to put that datafeed and many others that are similar on my server to try and market effectively straight out of the box or even bogg down my server with the sql to process that datafeed where I could effectivley market it.

Practically every cj datafeed I have does an almost complete turnover of products every week now where my other networks have a very low to reasonable turnover rate on product changes from one datafeed to the next.

Why? Because CJ puts a random fricking url in the product link when the datafeed is gin'd that causes a change regardless if the product data changed or not and without regard to if the previous "random domain" used is still valid for use or not.

This scenario is IMO nothing more than a bunch of senseless processing. I for one am looking at the recent changes and certainly see advantages with moving away from CJ datafeeds where possible as a result. Being able to keep my prices more current while reducing the number of changes made on my server which reduces bandwidth and keeps my server running more effeiciently seems like a nice win to me.

I initially gave CJ datafeeds priority over other networks because I could detect cookie interference with them where I couldn't with some of the others. That advantage is gone now with recent changes and the same change is what's causing all this extra processing. For me, I'll be adjusting to the changes and it wont be in CJ's favor.

I am in exactly the same boat as happypoon (I'm a long way off 2 million products though) . I was given free access to their merchandiser program around the 2nd August by an AM from ABW. I am still not able to connect to it from my website despite sending them copies of the files I am using to try and connect and upload the feed with.

A little more help in matters like this would go a long way to boost their PR ratings
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

http and a telephoto
    I don't have a static IP address yet, so haven't been able to try out the merchandiser program either. I can't get the Performics datafeeds to work either. So that leaves me CJ and indie feeds.

The CJ feeds have problems, *but* using the new feeds with the new domain names has increased my sales on my WebMerge based sites (where the links aren't cloaked) by 100%. Yup, 100%. They went from NONE to SOME. lol. And they are this month beginning to climb. Cloaked links still are rocking WAY more than uncloaked, but at least I can look at using WebMerge again to create cool niche sites. (Just what I need, more work!)

I don't have the knowledge to automate feed rotation, so I process each feed individually, doing several each week. I don't even think about changing feeds daily, and only a couple feeds get changed more often than monthly.

Bottom line, if you links aren't cloaked, then you need to use the new cj feeds. If your links are cloaked, then you don't.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Poon my numbers are right there with yours, as time has gone by, I know which feeds have the call 1-800#'s in them, or the feeds that maintain an HTML in them pointing to an instructional page which is never the full URL. I am a very organized person and chart all feeds.

What I do is massage the heck out of the feeds as I try to make my database lean while making sure they pertain to the audience I am working with. I guess my point is, I work with a process and the process I do to the feeds make it faster to simply swap them out.

Example:
    I utilize Excel and TextPad

I created a feed format (my excel template); the format contains all the headers and the pipes similar to a CJ datafeed, except they match what I want on my sites.

I then take out only the columns I want and place into my feed format. I then go about deleting all the crazy nonsense I spoke of above.

I have sometimes, hundreds of feeds on one excel page and crone it for upload.

The big monsters like The Big O, or the JCWhitneys, or even that bears Northern Tools (over 255 URL characters), I work the same process but unfortunately can only swap out the columns per feed, then cron then up.

I can normally have over 380 feeds loaded within 24 hours.

I think, as most things in this business require a process by which a person finds easiest and fasts to work with.

I wish you luck on finding your fastest process.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Holy cow - 2 million products!!!

You datafeed folks impress me!

You have learned to scale yourself to an extreme that is almost beyond my current IAM comprehension. I don't understand how you add value - or is this not an important part of your process? With that many pages, I don't see how you can (I'm short sighted). Must be a macro type of thinking where the theme, site idea and navigation add the perceived value (and compelling reasons to buy). Or maybe you're running community type sites where people feel an overall sense of belonging (or they get coupons or chat with friends there or something else that keeps them coming back).

I'm a micro guy - less than 100 total pages, 5 active sites and about 25 total products promoted.

When I've read about your datafeed posts I have imagined like 400-800 pages of stuff. 2 million! You guys fried my brain today with those numbers!

Amazing! Good stuff - must give your visitors an unbelievable amount of choice! And an almost endless supply of things to shop for!

Amazing!

Donuts

CatalogueCity is an affilaite feed site - and a Merchant for CJ...

You tell me how well feed sites add value?

At a certain point it all comes down to ingenuity!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by SandraR:
    Donuts

CatalogueCity is an affilaite feed site - and a Merchant for CJ...

You tell me how well feed sites add value?

At a certain point it all comes down to ingenuity!

I'm not sure how to take this - just for the record, my post was serious - I am quite impressed by the volume and choice they build - equally serious when I asked how they add value. If my post seemed mocking, didn't mean it that way. Just very different from what I do - so I asked the question about adding value because it's seems hard to add value except on my proposed macro ideas - at least in my current understanidng.

Anyhow, I took your question back to be a homework assignment of sorts - so I went to "CatalogueCity" with a .com at the end - it resolved here:
    http://buy.uk.shop.com/amos/cc/ccsyn/519

Is this where I should go to try and figure out the answer to your "You tell me how well feed sites add value?" I believe they do add value (the immense ones), but am trying to learn the ways it is done. The programming end of things - updated prcing and descriptions and inventory and other maintenance - I get all that. But what I'm trying to learn is how a site with 2 million products adds value.

Amazon does it with low prices and amazing aggregation - and a multi-million dollar ad budget to drive traffic. Happypoon's site with 2 million products - I'm guessing here - is not an attempt to compete with Amazon on those grounds. So I'm just trying to figure out where the value is to the visitor / buyer / shopper.

By the way, I see the ingenuity of the programming and also, frankly, the beautiful look of some of these feed sites. But I can't seem to capture the total value of it - except for the macro ideas I jotted down.

I also wonder if proliferation of mega sites like this will have ramifications to other branches of IAM. If I were amazon-like, and didn't see the value added, I think I might view the 7% (or whatever comm) as wasted.

With communities - like ClubMom and such - I see the value.

Maybe I'm just too inexperienced in this end of the business to understand it. If you or Happypoon wouldn't mind, I'd like to get a PM with a link to a mega site (any site - doesn't have to be yours) - sometimes just hanging out there a while is enough for me to pick up on how value is being added.

Teach me? Might be things that pertain to the macro approach, that I can leverage on my end of the spectrum as well.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread