I went to sign up a site and got this warning - no more affiliate sites in Yahoo or what??

Before subscribing, please read this important note regarding Site Match Content Quality Guidelines:

Thank you for your interest in Overture Site Match. The quality guidelines for Site Match listings are unique to this program and differ from guidelines for our Pay-for-Performance program. In an effort to help you determine if your site is appropriate for Site Match, we've included specific information below for your benefit. Please review this information carefully.

For more detailed information on our policies read the Site Match Content Guidelines.

We do not accept URLs that include any of the following:

Drug or pharmacy content
    Gambling content
    Predominantly affiliate content
    URLs that have substantially the same content as other domains available on the web
    URLs whose sole purpose is to direct the user to another page (example: doorway pages)
    URLs for pages that hide or disguise text from the user
    Cross-linking sites excessively, to inflate a site's apparent popularity

Every URL submitted to the program passes through an intensive quality review process. The Site Match review fee per URL is nonrefundable. If accepted into the program, URLs are continually reviewed during the 12-month subscription period and may be rejected if they fall out of compliance with the Site Match Content Guidelines.

I noticed that all 3 of my affiliate sites are out of Yahoo - could explain my traffic issues.

Affiliate Manager Rob@GoFreelance's Avatar
    I think as long as your site offers good quality content to visitors first, and affiliate links second, you should be fine.

All the search engines want is good content. If you can deliver that, they won't mind you generating affiliate income as a consequence.

If it's tilting the balance in favor of the professional affiliate, at the expense of the quick-buck artist, I'd say that's a good thing.
    Rob Palmer
    GoFreelance

Now going crazy on Clickbank...top affiliate makes over $3000.00 per day. Taking the CB Marketplace by storm. <a href="http://www.gofreelance.com/cbaffiliates.html" target="_blank" title="Going Crazy on Clickbank">Click here to get your share of the huge profits...</a>

Yahoo bought Overture last year, they are slowing integrating Overture's model into Yahoo by placing paid submissions above free search submission in most categories.

One of my sites has been completely dropped by yahoo leaving no traffic at all. It's still receiving few traffic from smaller search engines, though.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If those become the rules of paid site submittals the the sleezeball affiliate tricksters are going out of business.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I just checked my stats for the biggest of my mall sites. Yahoo is still delivering results.

Five different sections, all datafeeds, still in the top ten kw in the engine too.

Slurp came in and looked over some more directories this evening as well.

So, bottom line....I don't know what the Overture statement means, but Yahoo still loves my datafeeds.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

ABW Ambassador
    Just avoid "human review". They see it, they see affiliate links, they flush it.

I lost over 30 sites, all of which I had put time and effort into, to the "paid human review" at the beginning of the year. All the while, several absolute pile-of-crap mini sites of mine that were little more than a pile of banners and text listings got listed and continue to bring in a pretty fair load of Yahoo traffic.

Just get a few inbound links from sites that Yahoo likes, and let the free ride begin. I have never flinched at paying for exposure, but it will be a cold day in hell before I'll ever pay Yahoo to stick their ding ding in my bum bum again.

quote:
    I just checked my stats for the biggest of my mall sites. Yahoo is still delivering results.

Same here. Ranking #1 on Yahoo for "online shopping malls" with mostly affiliate links, some content and no data feeds, just hand coded html.
    ~Ernie

some of you guys get it and some do not! I submit to Yahoo once a year, and if it is true that they check sites every 12 months, you guys haven't been checked yet?? and when you do look out. I have been on top of Yahoo for one of my sites for 3 years and now I am gone! I added affiliate marketing 1.5 years ago and did well. But now my site is loosing to this and I will have to pay to stay in. Did fine before Overture and I wish they would stay out. I will never fall for PPC since I had millions of clicks per month, before this happened. Now I have thousand, no where near a million.

ABW Ambassador
    "some of you guys get it and some do not! I submit to Yahoo once a year, "

What are you submitting? Are you talking about the free url submission into Yahoo? Or paid submission thru Overture? The pay per url and pay per click on top of that?

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread