I Just don't get it! once there were many merchants that allowed that option, to make the visitor go to a specific page in their website, and not just the homepage, and these days it looks like almost non of them allow that, why??

and what is SID in the advanced options when you get html for a link?

SID is a Shoppers ID of your site, generally its used by the sites offering rewards or some kind of points to their loyal customers. SID helps to track a sale done by a specific customer so in return you can reward them with points or something similar. I have never used it but read about it as it requires higher skills to configure and I dont have those skills yet . And other thing I dont have any reward site.

This is one way of using SID I am not aware if there is any other.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

????? I thought SID was used to key a link to a particular product and site combination in your reports.

ahmer is right, they sids are/were meant to be generated dynamically and used to track visitors.

That being said, they can also be used for a variety of purposes - including identifying what product was clicked through that resulted in a sale. Some on these boards use the SID by assigning the IP value of the surfer to it. Thus knowing where the sale is orginating ie Canada, US, europe, etc.

The simplest use of SID is assigning it the name of the product it's connected to. Since CJ did away with product tracking a couple of years ago, many use the SID to do this - but that is barely tapping it's potential. .

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Think of SID as Special ID number - a variable that you can use for whatever purpose you want.

Coupons / customer ID is one thing lots of folks do.

Some PPCSE folks (okay, maybe just me) use it for Ad cost ROI tracking.

Flip,

Your first question
    quote:
    why merchants do not allow specific URL linking?
    I wish I knew the answer to.
    I use it a ton for the few merchants that do allow it.
    Maybe a merchant can answer this for us.

CDC
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    BHO's need no damn product specific landing pages
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Some advertisers do not allow deep linking because they want their creative to correspond to specific landing pages - another reason is they may have integrated their tracking such that it requires traffic to enter through specific landing pages in order to track affiliate referred txns.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

But do you tell the merchants on their signup that they have an ability to allow deep linking?

If I have a merchant that sells for example almost only books, but also has one page that sells cd's which would interest my visitors, I won't be able to guide my visitors to get to that page easily without deep linking enabled... If I could, each one of the sides (Me, the merchant, CJ) would have a better chance to make a profit... so maybe CJ can make this option a default for merchants, unless they really don't want it?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread