ABW Ambassador
    This is an example: I have two merchants one at cj and the other at linkshare. When I go to the one at cj through my own affiliate link and click on items and add them to the shopping cart without buying, they are still there for days and even weeks, if I do not clear my cookies. They have a return day of 45.

Now when I do the same thing to one of my linkshare merchants who has a return day of 30 days, the items in the cart stay for many hours but then they disappear. Does that mean that my cookie disapears after 6 hours or is it the linkshare technology that is creating this.

Can someone please explain this to me, PLEASE!

It sounds like this is more of a Linkshare question than a CJ question. You might ask the merchant if they have the ability for you to do a test order. That's the only way I know that you can tell for sure if something will track or not.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    It sounds like this is more of a Linkshare question than a CJ question. You might ask the merchant if they have the ability for you to do a test order. That's the only way I know that you can tell for sure if something will track or not.

Hi,
    Actually, I am just trying to understand how cookies work in general. I am just trying to understand if you throw a cookie to any merchant whether it be cj or linkshare, will your items stay in their cart for the 30 or 45 days if you don't make a sale?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    infoseeker,

What you are talking about has to do with the cookie used for the shopping cart. How long products will show in the cart when you come back isn't the same thing as your return days for your affiliate commissions.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by BLFH (Ms. B):
    infoseeker,

What you are talking about has to do with the cookie used for the shopping cart. How long products will show in the cart when you come back isn't the same thing as your return days for your affiliate commissions.

Thanks Ms B,
    I was ready to call that linkshare merchant and complain. I never realized that there were two different types of cookies. I thought that my cookies were disappearing in a few hours, especially after my items stayed in the cj merchants shopping cart for days.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Most cart programs purge the filled shopping carts after 24 hours. Some only cookie the contents during the session.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    So who's cookie tracks the return days, the merchant cookie or the linkshare cookie?

In other words, if I though a linkshare affiliate link of a merchant that has a 30 return day cookie duation...then I close the browser, come back tomorrow...which cookie would track the return sale?

The merchant cookie or the lnkshare cookie? And a sub-question, if a merchant does not place a cookie, then how can a return direct visit to the merchant (even with a linkshare cookie in the visitors browser) track the sale back to the affiliate?

Internet Cowboy
    The cookie tracking the return sale and the contents of the shopping cart staying there are in no way related.
    A shopping cart can be set to hold contents for any period of time. A cookie that is placed on the shopper's computer that tracks any sale for a period of time is a whole different story.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    In other words, if I though a linkshare affiliate link of a merchant that has a 30 return day cookie duation...then I close the browser, come back tomorrow...which cookie would track the return sale?

From that very long thread over in the LS forum where Stephen explained their tracking, it would be the Merchant's cookie.

quote:
    And a sub-question, if a merchant does not place a cookie, then how can a return direct visit to the merchant (even with a linkshare cookie in the visitors browser) track the sale back to the affiliate?

A merchant cookie should be set with LS Merchants.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread