Got notice that I had been termintated from the Junonia program at CJ. Emailed and enquired as to why.

Here is the response:

"Basically, we are trying to stop advertisers from using our trademark Junonia name in paid searches. When we type JUNONIA into an Overture search (www.overture.com), your site comes up as #32. Do you know if your placement is paid? If it is, and you remove it, we can retract the termination. If the search is not paid, let me know that too, and I will retract the termination."

Well, I do not do any paid placement for my merchants..
    I am actually #37.

So I am being terminated because I happen to show up in search results for this merchant?

How idiotic is that?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Daffy for sure as they can't even tell if its a sponsor link on a trade mark term. Same type of AM who buys at Findwhat and Knoodle and wonder why they get traffic and no sales.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Tell the AM that the "sponsored results" are only paid, "additiona listings" are not.

Ahhh......it's the guilty first, then we'll see if you're innocent theory! nice....

Yes, they need to learn the difference between additional and sponsored listings....

Promote that page more and put a competitor on it, would serve them right.

If you need a replacement, Alight is outselling them 10 to 1 without any paid listings.
    ~Ernie

quote:
    Originally posted by qball©:
    Promote that page more and put a competitor on it, would serve them right.

It was a dynamic page, so once I hit the delete button that page is gone...can't just replace with a new merchant that way. I didn't do much for them anyways so no big loss, wasn't a high traffic page.

ABW Ambassador
    Same thing happened to me today... argh.

Can you trust a merchant that doesn't know how to differenciate paid and free listing to be able to track all the commission properly?!

I have no confidence and trust on them at all.

when you get the email from them you have the opportunity to either tell them where to go or you can start the education process.

ABW Ambassador
    Today i got 'unterminated'...

Guess I will re-enable them on my sites. Lucky it's just a couple of clicks.

ABW Ambassador
    "Do you know if your placement is paid? If it is, and you remove it, we can retract the termination. If the search is not paid, let me know that too, and I will retract the termination"

Is this person an idiot? Isn't it obvious which are paid listings? Overture has sponsored listing and additional listing. How can you not know the paid listing (sponsored) from the free ones (additional)

Also, this question is moronic "Do you know if your placement is paid?"

How could anyone not know that their listing was a paid listing?

quote:
    How could anyone not know that their listing was a paid listing?

based on my past experience, you might have a problem differentiating in some cases.

I found one of my sites showing in Overture on a small patch of links made to fit a small space. the patch was labeled as if they were all paid inclusions. I figured Overture was faking it to fill the spot as it pertained to a very narrow search term.

this happened 2-3 years ago. I've never bought space anywhere.

It's really a case of ignorance (IMHO). I don't think Junonia understands Overture - bad for you and Junonia.

Fred

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    There's more than just Overture that they don't understand...

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Sometimes I think certain affiliates are exempted from these idiotic things.

Guess they treat us ALL like dirt.

I'll be substituting their links out of "sympatico-ness"

She re-instated me, but links will not be going back up. If they know this little about things, who knows what else they don't know. Might explain why hardly any sales for them.

I once saw my site listed on Overture as if it were a paid inclusion. I have never paid a penny for any kind of advertising anywhere. I don't know what's up with Overture, but apparently things are not always as they seem there.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fairla:
    I once saw my site listed on Overture as if it were a paid inclusion. I have never paid a penny for any kind of advertising anywhere. I don't know what's up with Overture, but apparently things are not always as they seem there.

The PPC Fairy strikes again... doing kind hearted funding for others... driving traffic at her own expense... sprinkling pixie dust on the PPC servers...

She never visits me cuz I don't believe in her.

ABW Ambassador
    Mike and Charlie wrote:
    quote:
    Same type of AM who buys at Findwhat and Knoodle and wonder why they get traffic and no sales.

LOL, sad but true, I think.

This seems to me a sign of -- and I'm generalizing broadly here, because I know there are exceptions -- how poorly affiliate marketing is understood and valued, even after 10 years of life on the Web. It's easy to kick this person because he/she is a complete ignoramus (don't count me out, I want my kick, too) -- but even more than that, it's a sign that there are still mobs of companies out there dumping what could be an incredible revenue stream into the laps of marketing interns and other bottom-of-the-food-chain employees. Such as the wizard mentioned above who thinks they're protecting their brand by terminating its evangelists.

-- Josh

Internet Cowboy
    quote:
    The PPC Fairy strikes again... doing kind hearted funding for others... driving traffic at her own expense... sprinkling pixie dust on the PPC servers...

I can be a believer. Where do I find this Fairy?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Connie,

I emailed Junonia my feelings and pulled them - fortunately there's lots of plus size merchants to choose from!

Slighty off topic for just one moment:

You know all those THREATS we receive every day - I mean emails - stating that if we bid on a name we'll be immediatley terminated, forfeit any money we're owed, and then reminded that our original agreement gives the merchant the right to due recourse and legal action?

Just got an email from a merchant. Now this is the way it SHOULD be handled:

quote:
    I've recently come across a number of publishers who were bidding on FootSmart trademarks in search engines. We are currently re-evaluating our stance on this but for the time being please do not bid on FootSmart trademarks. If you are unsure of the exact terms, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

That's it for now. I want to thank each of you for your continued support. If there is anything that I can do leading into the holiday season, please don't hesitate to call me.

I'm here to help in any way that I can.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Connie Berg:

So I am being terminated because I happen to show up in search results for this merchant?

I was terminated because my site showed up in Google when the company searched on their name. I was terminated a month later because I showed up in Google when the company did a search in their name AND THE LINK WENT TO THEIR PRIME COMPETITOR.

The second termination didn't phase me as much as the first termination although they did threaten legal action if I didn't change Google's Index.

I nice letter explained that I would be a millionaire if I could change Google's index.

You're right, Josh, there's a lot of cluelessness in the way affiliates are handled. The job often seems to be given to people who treat affiliates with contempt, which is NOT a smart way to manage a group of people who are marketing and selling your products. The Internet has yet to really grow up.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread