Just wanted to congratulate CJ for doing the right thing:

There is a BeFree merchant that I have been sending adwords clicks to for about 18 months. Over time my commissions and clicks appeared to be dropping even though I thought I was still paying the same for the adwords so I investigated further.

It turned out that when I started promoting the merchant all my clicks were making it through to the merchant, but 18 months later that figure was down to 80%.

In other words 20% off all the clicks on a google adword for that merchant weren't making it as far as BeFree tracking (the adwords link URL was direct to BeFree), someone or something must have been intercepting those clicks.

Now some people would think 20%, oh well there's nothing I can do about that, at least I still get 80%, but I looked to see what it had cost me:

It had cost me over $3000 to Google Adwords for clicks that I never received, and about another $7000 in commission I would typically have received on those clicks, for a total loss to me of $10000.

This redirection was costing the merchant a lot more than that as whatever was intercepting the clicks was doing it based upon a BeFree link to that merchant, so possibly 20% of all that merchants affiliate program sales were getting credited to these intercepters rather than the correct affiliate. If the intercepters were also catching direct links and type-ins to that merchant then the cost to the merchant would have been massive (given the merchants total revenues it may have been costing them over a million in extra commissions per year).

I brought this redirection to CJ's attention at the end of September and they promised to investigate. I heard back from them last week that they had investigated and discovered a number of non-compliant BHOs and disabled them.

I am now seeing 100% of my clicks making it to the merchant again.

Congrats to CJ for doing the right thing.

Given this attitude from CJ compared to Linkshare's inability to find an honest affiliate to give 15k to I will be focusing as much as possible on CJ/BeFree merchants and steering clear of LS.

Mark......

P.S. I am not going to name names for 2 reasons: 1) The merchant makes me money and I don't want the rest of you jumping on my profitable keywords and 2) the problem has been fixed and the merchant is now a lot more aware of the damage the non-compliant affiliates can do.

ABW Ambassador

15 years and counting
    quote:
    It had cost me over $3000 to Google Adwords for clicks that I never received, and about another $7000 in commission I would typically have received on those clicks, for a total loss to me of $10000.

Tell us how CJ is going to pay you back these $10000 and I'll be the first to congratulate them.

ABW Ambassador
    That's an inside-the-park home run, Zeus.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Hey Mark, that's a really inspiring sig you have there. Just don't tell the other AMs, okay?

Congrats to you for bringing the problem to CJ's attention and to CJ for kicking the thieving bastards out.

Hello,

It doesn't affect any of the major points in your post, but you might feel 30% better to know you only lost $7,000. If you had generated the expected $7,000 in commissions you still would have incurred a cost of $3000, for a net of $4,000. Your actual net was -$3,000. The difference is $7,000. But I am glad to hear you are getting all your clicks again.

Regards,

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    That's really great Mark.

Little by little, step by step, the pendulum is swinging back...

Way to go CJ!!

Pardon a newbie quetion - but what is a BHO?

15 years and counting
    BHO's- Browser Helper Objects, a small program that runs automatically every time you start your Internet browser to steal the hard earned commissions of a fellow affiliate.

Most of the time a BHO is installed on your PC by Parasites, the best friends of networks like CJ, Performics or LinkShare. They may deactivate one from time to time to make some of us feel better.

From Haiko web site:
    ParasiteWareâ„¢ - is technology (including, but not restricted to, browser helpers, browser plug-ins, toolbars and pop ups/sliders) that knowingly or unknowingly undermines or removes another affiliate's ability to compete by changing, intercepting or redirecting an affiliate link. Parasitewareâ„¢ may be installed knowingly or unknowingly by the end user, altering their normal web browser functions and/or installing a third party application that works through the user's altered browser.

ABW Ambassador
    "I heard back from them last week that they had investigated and discovered a number of non-compliant BHOs and disabled them. "

Will you tell us that cj.com uses BHO's and then they disabled them?
    Or if cj.com does not use BHO's how would they be able to disable others BHOs?

carneol

If CJ can see BHO's and "shut them off", wouldn't it always be in CJ's best interest to monitor for them?

Is the only way for us, the affiliates, to "see" them is to monitor inbound and outbound links? In cases where a visitor is coming in to our site and looking around before clicking a link, would we be checking our "exits" against CJ's numbers? Enough questions for now, I guess.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    wouldn't it always be in CJ's best interest to monitor for them?

It would be in CJ's *short term* interest to just let them run hog-wild. I think the only reason they have been doing anything *at all* about these matters lately is that they are starting to feel the effects of previous lack of action.

Thanks for the positive feedback Mark.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread