Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    =======
    Update
    =======

As of May 25th 2002 Wurldmedia/Morpheus Hasbeenin 100% compliance and does not pilfer affiliate commissions or traffic.

=======================

All,

Neil Durrant, an esteemed colleague and a member was kind enough to mail the
    following, which explicitly proves that Morpheus (Buyersport) hijacks our
    links!

WTG NIEL!

Buyersport contact information:

Steve Kerber WURLD Media Inc.

Affiliate Department Manager

63 Putnam Street

Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Tel: 518.691.1100

Fax: 518.691.1190

Haiko

The Morpheus Files

TURN IT UP!
    Apologies my voice-over recordings are a
    little faint on these videos - you'll need to turn your speaker volume
    up a little! If you can't play these video's then download RealPlayer
    free from www.real.com

These videos where created using the current
    Morpheus Preview Edition as of April 29th - I understand that in a few weeks
    Morpheus 2.0 will be launched with some revisions to try and minimize conflicts
    with other affiliate links.

*Morpheus
    Video 1.

This first 'screen grab' video demonstrates how
    the Morpheus BHO (Browser Helper Object) overwrites an affiliates link code with
    their own. In this example the Morpheus enabled browser intercepted the
    merchandising efforts of another affiliate and replaced with their own ID.

Morpheus
    Video 2.

*This second video demonstrates a Morpheus
    enabled browser automatically writing their affiliate ID when the visitor types
    the merchants URL directly into their browsers address bar.

*Morpheus
    Video 3.

*The final video demonstrates the Morpheus
    browser intercepting a click thru from a paid advertising buy with Overture,
    placing their affiliate link and then directing the visitor to the merchants
    site. What affect will this have on your ROI against any PPC or CPM based
    advertising buys that you make?

*[Formatting]

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

[This message was edited by Haiko on October 26, 2002 at 05:08 PM.]

According to Niel,

"I understand also that in an effort to overcome the overwriting of affiliate links an updated version of the software is planned with the roll-out of Morpheus 2.0 in the next few weeks. This software will present an icon in the users toolbar illustrating to their users the options available to claim a particular rebate - this will include notification if a link is owned by another affiliate and the text will call for support to that particular affiliate."

Haiko

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    We just need to have somoene create a software package that removes scumware from the PC, then sell it or give it to all of our customers.

elbowcreek,

quote:
    We just need to have somoene create a software package that removes scumware from the PC, then sell it or give it to all of our customers.

There is one ... Adaware but it doesn't remove the Morphues bho.dll

Haiko

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    For the record:

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 12:17 PM
    To: 'Steve Kerber'
    Subject: Morpheus Shopping Club / TigerDirect

Dear Steve,

The purpose of this letter is to inform you that as of today, April 30, 2002, I am deactivating your affiliate account with TigerDirect and placing it under review. This means you will not be earning any affiliate commissions beyond this date until your account is activated again.

The reason for this action is that it has been brought to our attention and we have seen enough proof to suggest that BuyersPort.com is redirecting and overwriting affiliate links. Using the Morpheus BHO (Browser Helper Object) on the Morpheus Shopping Club, the software overwrites the original affiliate link and does not allow the original affiliate to get credit or earn their commission on the sale.

Steve, I have spent many months building and earning the trust of thousands of our affiliate partners. I work with many in very close relationships and can't allow this to go on with our program. Although I appreciate BuyersPort.com sending us the increase in traffic and sales, I will not allow any one affiliate to hijack and affect our present relationships with our other affiliates. This is not acceptable.

Please feel free to get back to me when we can continue offering your visitors our great deals while allowing our other affiliate partners to continue earning their commissions in a fair and ethical manner.

Thank you in advance for your time in this matter,

WayToGo Andy.
    Great stuff. I just hope us guys can earn you enough to replace what you may lose by taking this stand.
    It is a downright shame there are not others like you.

Andy,

Absolutely Fantastic!

Haiko

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    To point out how far this goes into privacy issues, which Morpheous completely violates in a lengthy EULA that even lawyers can't understand, your link to real.com installs spywarez automatically to call home your video viewing habits and sells the registration information to spammers and telemarketers.

Morpheous planted their trojan horse P2P network virus and ShopNow/Whenu adware to control the "web experience" of 40 million surfers. They figured out a way to steal control of your computer so your can't escape their commissionable affiliate Ads or those feed by Double Click on a CPM deal.

This sheet p*sses me off so much that I am seriously thinking about a class action against morpheus and the 'knowing' merchants who do not drop Morpheus as an affiliate.

I am absolutely serious!

The Url to list the merchants and the claim will be :
    http://www.morpheus-pos.com (let it propagate)

Haiko
    [added url]

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

Andy,
    Though I am late a big hurrah to you !
    You seem lovely ; )

Keep it up man !

All,

Just got this in the mail from Arden!

quote:
    Quoting Arden
    :

FYI.

We have removed buyersport.com and Morpheus shopping club from our CJ affiliate program until this controversy has been resolved.

Arden
    Affiliate Program Manager
    American Blind and Wallpaper Factory www.decoratetoday.com
    734 207-5800 x 3141
    ardenk@decoratetoday.com

Arden,

WTG!

Haiko
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; December 28th, 2006 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Per request

Hot off the presses!
    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/176249.html

Haiko
    PS. WTG Neil!

quote:
    The software also sends Wurld's affiliate ID to a merchant when a Morpheus user types the shopping site's address directly into the browser, he said.

In other words, Morpheus IS ripping off the merchants as well... LOL - how stupid can these merchants be!

Like most greedy people they count the pennies but lose the pounds (English saying)
    for you Americans who don't/can't speak English they count the cents but lose the dollars [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    OUCH! only kidding you guys.

ABW Ambassador
    Some big names on the merchant list. Some enormous publicly traded companies. A lot of folks with the stock in their retirement funds.

The affiliate managers should be educated what is going on since the networks are not letting them in on it.

At least they will have a chance before news of the scam hits the stock message boards and new sources.

My fear is that the large offline retailers will realize they do not need an affiliate program after all. The networks are taking quite a risk by not telling merchants what is going on.

My bet is that the affiliate management companies and merchant aggregrators/Ad brokers are on the phone spinning their tale of parasite riches every day. Andy could probably clue us in on the private and public plans of these "super affiliates" on the Y2002 Affiliate Force Cruise. Is that character ObstinateDon part of the education plan hawking merchants to the scumlords for Linkshare?? He must really be busy these days hooking players for Morpheous, ShopNow and Ezula.

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

All,

Two days till Morpheus-POS.com [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

We must hold the 'knowing' merchants accountable for our lost revenues.

We will, also, launch MorphBuster™ a FREE EXE file to rid the 80,000,000+++ computers of the 'POS' Morpheus BHO and other files that steal our comms!!

Haiko

Sounds awesome Haiko, looking forward to it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Haiko,

Let's go even one step farther - let's start filing small claims suits against not only Morpheus but against all their participating merchants.

So if eveyone of us files one or two suits against merchants on the list for which we have an affiliate relationship, they will have to deal with suits in 100's of jurisdictions.

If we win any of these suits, we can now approach the big time class action lawyers to do aclass action for a piece of the action.

What we need is a precedent or two dozen precedents and we can kick some ass that really needs to be kicked.

We could set up a PR file that automatically sends out a letter to 10,000 media people about EACH lawsuit.

Say you file against 5 in New Yor, I file against 5 here in Vegas, and others file in their own local jurisdictions, we can create alegal can of worms for them that does 2 things - forces them to pay up for past transgretions and to quit the parasite game.

Heck I have won small claims actions on a lot less evidence than the VIDEO of Morpheus stealing links.

And since it is an ELECTION year, there should be at least a few DA's running for office who will jump on our band wagon.

I love it when a plan comes together -

Long live Haiko.

Fred said: "Let's go even one step farther - let's start filing small claims suits against not only Morpheus but against all their participating merchants."

If you can find a sympathetic Local small claims court Judge ( a few Vegas hookers work wonder here) and educate an attorney to pin point the direct financial loss you incurred can run them ragged in court. Prove your traffic level income per click before they when on the darkside verses the income on the same or higher amount of clicks after the scumlords preyed on your traffic and your Judge will just ask them them basics.

Merchant ..what is the net amount of recorded shopping cart sales for the last 12 months for your URL. Let me see how many visitors your site had for that period. (value per untargeted visitor) Now let me see how many visitors came from affiliate links. Now let me see the amount of net sales recorded by your affiliate group. (value of targeted affiliate traffic). Now let me see what you were willing to pay Overture for keyword buys for traffic. (max value for targeted SE traffic).

Mr site owner what amount commission did you average for the traffic you sent this merchant prior to their contracting with the hijackers. ( value per click before parasite) What were the stats after this merchant starting using the scumlord interlopers. ( value per click after hijacking).

Easy for the Judge to award a high ( overture bid value per click), medium your sites merchant value per click before hijacking or low..the value of general traffic per click based upon net sales for all your clicks since they went with the hijackers. Worse case is merchant has to only make up the lost revenue per click if he's in a bad mood....next case please!

Mike,

I owe you an apology.

I thought I'd covered the Morpheus situation.
    http://www.abestweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=35&t=000008

Haiko's post: 4/22/02 5:05 PM
    quote:
    Rick,
    They are safe, I have downloaded it and have been testing it every night to make sure they don't pilfer affiliate links, If they do I'll tell you ... so do NOT deactivate them yet ( I registered morpheus-'P'os incase we need to mount a campaign against them ) .So, If you, as a merchant want to use them, that is fine,...

I'm only now finding that they are indeed bad folks. I will terminate this relationship today. Please believe me. I fully support your concerns about these types of ad-servers.

Again Mike, my apologies. I thought I had this covered.

Rick

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: Rick - JC Whitney ]

Haiko,

We can fund some of this buy copying the video and selling it for say $10 and using the money to file small claims actions.

We'll create a sales letter offering every affiliate who ever got stiffed a copy of the video for $10. And a step by step plan to get the money that was due them by filing in small claims court.

I guarnatee some good ambulance chaser will come out of the woodwork when word spreads about what we are doing and since many of these merchants and all three ad networks have at least decent size pockets - we be in like Flint.

Heck, I bet most merchants wouldn't even show up and we'd win a bunch of cases by default - and I know some really evil collection agency people who will chase down the money from them for a piece of the judgement.

And we can get the following commandment as the dogma of the net:

Thou shalt not cheat and steal from affiliates.

If you can send me a copy of the video, so I can get it copied, I'll go buy some blanks and make some up.

School will be over in about 2 weeks, and I will have all day to start filing lawsuits and we'll see who laughs last.

And for Steve, Sam and Lex...shit is about to happen by the super tanker full.

My turn to do the screwing.

Jimbo,

You can buy put options on all the biggies.

No merchant can survive online without an affiliate program. It is impossible to get the scale needed to be profitable without one.

And second, the legal costs will put all these scumware out of the game.

So not to worry about - there will be plenty of affiliate programs to go around.

And you can go to the bank on this fact:

Corporate wanks at the top will not even want to come with a light year of any software directed traffic generators. The one way you get any corporation to jump thru a hoop is thru their stock price.

You want your stock price to go down, you keep doing this. You don't you stop. You want to make my day and take the chance of my hitting you in the stock price, make my day.

And since the Enron deal, Andersons troubles, and the fact it's an election year and a whole bunch of political wanks will jump on the bandwagon because they need a casuse celebre. So any shit that happens will be seriously magnified.

If we play our cards right the Video will become the Video from Hell in corporate american.

Kind of like the Rodney King video in cop ville.

Let's rock and roll.

All,
    Buyerport/Wurld Media/Morpheus has been contacted and the relationship terminated.

Additionally the following language...
    1) Has been added to our partner agreement under "Other Terms"
    2) Will be included in our next email broadcast out to all our current partners within the week.

quote:
    Affiliate agrees that it will not serve ads of any form on top of or below other web properties. Violation may be cause for immediate termination of this agreement.

Rick

Way to go Andy and Rick!!! :cool:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast