A merchant just told me this:-

Below is an email I received from CJ.com directly regarding Morpheus. It may be of interest to you.

Copy starts here:

Yes, we are aware of the allegations toward buyersport and because the user of the software must download it, and can uninstall it at any time, there is no fraudulent activity that our Compliance department has found. If the customer with this download were to go to another affiliate site and click on their banner, the affiliate of the visited site will still get commission for the product, not buyersport.

We are continuing to research the issues arising from this and any further information to assist our investigation would be appreciated as it is presented to you. Feel free to drop the publisher if they are not an active user of your links.

copy ends here.

I think you may want to contact them direct and get information.

Iamamerchant.com

I

ABW Ambassador
    Uh...
    quote:
    If the customer with this download were to go to another affiliate site and click on their banner, the affiliate of the visited site will still get commission for the product, not buyersport.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this statement by itself is incorrect.

If the merchant had bothered to look at the videos - they would KNOW it's incorrect.

It sounds to me like he may just be passing the buck/blame to CJ and not want to drop Buyersport from his program.

Well I provided a link to the videos for this merchant only after I got this reply. Lets see what they say.

But CJ's alledged letter is interesting. You'll note the ostrich defence - 'we're not responsible for what the users get up to' bears a close correlation to that of the Morpheus lawyers in the case with MGM.

So CJ are spewing forth the Morpheus Party Line from a month ago and lying to their merchants while they do it.

It would seem they are relying on the Morpheus lawyers for their legal advice - a worrying thought for all kinds of reasons - not least of which is what it says about CJ's financial state.

But first things first.

CJ have to be made Officially Aware that they are sending forth bullshit for the official consumption of their merchants.

Haiko? How do we go about letting them know in such as way as they can't later claim they didn't?

And I'm worried about how come CJ compliance and the scumware lawyers appear to speak with one voice. It would suggest that there is a Morpheus - CJ link beyond the obvious one.

Anyone know if Morpheus/MusicCity/Buyersport have any other connection to Idealab?

I

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: Icicle ]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    We all remember the "encontext" initiative lauded at CJ.com by their CEO and financer IdeaLabs...that is TopText -ShopNow/Whenu Morpheus -Gator and RealNames. The 30% cut gets real tempting when it only comes from a few choice theftwarez or Interloper sources who can be promoted. Someone check the CJ CEO's rolodex for starred scumware contacts. The FBI is real good at setting up a fraud sting operation or wiretaps and might be interested in this one since 100 million tax payers are involved as innocent front men.

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

I,

quote:
    Haiko? How do we go about letting them know in such as way as they can't later claim they didn't?

CommissionLab.com (finishing it up now) will inform them all via newsletter, See http://www.abestweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...c&f=3&t=000069

quote:
    Anyone know if Morpheus/MusicCity/Buyersport have any other connection to Idealab?

None that I know of, but some of the financers of Streamcast are HUGE ( see http://www.drapervc.com/ourcomps/index.html the parent co of http://znetprime2.znetsolutions.com/...folio#Internet ), so when you get to that level they all know each other [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Haiko

Instead of a 'wink' smiley, perhaps you could find a 'funny handshake one'?

If there is no 'official' link between the two companies then I'd say CJ's lawyers are probably paid more by Morpheus than by CJ. IYSWIM.

Go on Todd. Tell me why your lawyers are passing off Morpheus funded bollocks to your merchants? Can you think of any reason why CJ might have to do something THAT STUPID? Why would you want such an enormous liability???

Perhaps you can't afford lawyers of your own? Now *why* might that be...

If you are economizing on lawyers fees by using Morpheus' admittedly overstretched ones, you must be Saving Up for a Rainy Day.

Like the one when Bill Gross gets hauled off by the SEC and jailed as a criminal for calling you lot 'VC investments' while actually running an illegal 'mutual funds company' instead? Co-incidentally and criminally evading the stringent financial scrutiny a mutual funds company is required to undergo?

One things for sure - you'd better get started doing an Enron on the paperwork because the SEC doesn't faff about!

It throws a whole new light on what will befall Overture doesn't it?. As in "oopsie! Bankrupted *another* one. Silly me! Its all this loose change in me pockets. Slows me down somewhat..."

In fact, I'm thinking it might be time if everybody f*cked about by Overture sent a copy of their correspondence to a nice chap called Skip Miller. (Google for him).

Christ Almighty Todd, CJ must be desperate if you have to rely on thieves like Gross and Griffin.

I

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Amazing things can be found by researching the root systems of the affiliate networks -spyware -parasites -P2P trojans & theftware -driveby download adwarez viruses and spam hosting services feeding & funding. Makes me feel as if my Doctor told me my girlfriend gave me Aids and a mild case of the clap.

The recent driveby spyware that turned into real MacAfee/Norton computer virus classification, causing the perps to get their mutual hosting services shut down, all lead to whois addresses in Santa Barbara and other So. Calif. cities. Investigative reports are always taught to follow the money trail. Didn't I tell this industry to distance itself from the Advertising industry a year ago.

FastClick a Morpheus clone trojan horse adware virus is right down the street. Do all these guys get together at Lompoc Ca. for board meetings with the behind the scenes brains for strategy planning?

ABW Ambassador
    Some of the response from cj merchants is just silly. I contacted magazinecity after they mailed me.

Their response?

They are looking into it.

My response?

Did you see the video?

yes we did - could you contact cj for us? Maybe we could all conference call. WTF? Maybe I should also go over there and make them coffee and open their mail? They see it, they have cj's number, why do they need me?

Some merchants just want to turn a blind eye - until they think better I am steering clear. Magazinecity will never be advertised on one of my sites.

Chet

I think they are giving you the runaround because they sense something is going on and don't want to get in the middle of it.

Fine. No more links from CJ go up on my site till Todd, or someone from the CJ legal department, answer these outstanding questions to my personal satisfaction.

1)I want to know why CJ is spewing forth scumware propaganda while lying to its merchants.

2)When they will deactivate the affiliate accounts of all known scumware.

All merchant requests for more links or more promotion or better placement will be referred to this thread for the foreseeable future.

I

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    And to think someone once asked me why I didn't apply for the CJ PR Department!!

The reason is because since I DON'T work for CJ, I don't have to try to defend HUMONGOUS GAFFES like this!

If the quote in the first post is accurate, you are (CJ) in deep doo-doo...

But I wouldn't want to leave you with NO equipment at all for this job... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Here:

(Yes I AM in kind of a strange mood today)

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

ahahahaha roflmao [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread