Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I'm still getting all this Parasite stuff lodged into my head.

Any we had an applciation on Linkshare

http://www.morpheusshop.buyersport.com/

Is this safe to approve or are they still harvesting other peoples sales?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera Partner Management
    Mondera : Click Here
    Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

Web Studio-1 Solutions Co., Ltd : Click Here
    Microsoft Certified Partner
    Affiliate Management and Marketing Solutions

Chris,

Since May25th their software has been clean of any parasitic activity.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Am I totally missing something here? Granted, Morpheus no longer actually hijacks our links, but they still attempt to divert our visitors we have sent to a merchant through their links so that the visitor can "earn" Morpheus cash rewards. Ummm, sounds like Gator or TopMoxie to me. So how are Gator and TopMoxie parasitic, but not Morpheus?

From the buyersport website explaining their system (which is now buried more deeply with in the site). Sorry can't do a direct url since it comes up in a pop up window:

quote:
    To assist our members in securing cash rewards for their purchases, our shopping community has developed two methods of informing its members of their reward availability while they browse the Internet.

Morpheus Shopping Community members use the "Shopping Community Options" window shown above to set their preferences for viewing our reward reminders, the "Tray Icon" and the "Reminder Window".

The "Tray Icon" is a small blue sailboat which will appear in your system's tray, located in the lower right corner of your screen beside your on-screen clock.

The sailboat icon will begin blinking red when you have navigated to a participating merchant by way of another website's advertisement. In order to support the service you used to navigate to this merchant, we encourage you to continue with any intended purchases.
    However, if you are concerned about receiving your Morpheus cash rewards, please use your mouse to right click on the alert icon. This will open the following menu:

To earn your cash rewards from our participating merchants, click "Earn Cash". By selecting "Options " on this menu, or through the "Options" menu on the Morpheus application, members may change their reminder settings at any time.

The sailboat icon will begin blinking green when you have arrived at the website of a participating merchant by way of a MSC link, and any cash rewards available through purchases you have made will be secured.

Reminder Window:
    The MSC Reminder Windows will slide onto the lower right corner of your screen to inform you of your reward status for several seconds and automatically slide back off. You may close the reminder window sooner by clicking the X in the upper right corner. Again, these reminder windows are optional and preferences may be set through "Options" in the Morpheus application.

This window appears when you have navigated to the website of a participating merchant by way of another website's advertisement. In order to support the service you used to navigate to this merchant, we encourage you to continue with any intended purchases. However, you may choose to receive your MSC cash rewards by simply clicking on the "Want Rewards?" button. [This paragraph references a button graphic which says "Morpheus Want Rewards Click Here"]

This window will appear when you have navigated to the website of a participating merchant using a MSC link, and any cash rewards available through purchases you have made will be secured
    [References a graphic which says "Morpheus Earning Rewards]

This window will appear when a retail partner is no longer participating in the Morpheus Shopping Community and will not offer consumer rewards. In order to earn cash rewards, we encourage our members to patronize similar merchants who are currently participating in the Morpheus Shopping Community. Links to all MSC merchants are available throughout the MSC website. [References a graphic saying "Sorry merchant is no longer participating"].

I mean holy cripes, they spell it out themselves: if you have navigated to the merchant through another website's advertisement. And that little disclaimer about we encourage you to support the site is the biggest pile of BS I've heard in quite sometime. Human nature being what it is of course most consumers are going to opt to get their cash reward.

So I see it as one of two things happening: if the advertisement was an affiliate link, the affiliate just got scr*wed. If it was just a plain paid banner ad by the merchant (not affiliate based) then the merchant just got sc*wed. They paid for the banner ad and then they had to hand out a commish to buyersport for a customer that was already acquired by another advertising means.

Anyone who benefits monetarily from my site who does not have my permission is parastic. The only way I can see that Morpheus is still not parastic (just in a different way) is if they block their rewards options from appearing if the buyersport member arrived through another affiliate link. Then they would just be misleading the merchants, since it would be from straight banner advertising and the merchant is paying twice for a customer acquisition.

*End of rant and my *

BLFH,

They are contractually bound not to pop up on an affiliate site, that is what the whole thing back in April in May was about.

Haiko

Haiko,

If those were the terms of the agreement, then they are violating them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Before I checked back to see your post, I downloaded Morpheus just for the heck of it to see how intrusive it was. I went to some of my affiliate links and through some affiliate links on other sites. Sure enough, the reward window came up encouraging me to earn cash. If I didn't click on it then it did go away after a bit and left me on the page from my site. Although I didn't click through past the landing page to see what would happen. If I clicked on the earn cash, it very quickly opened a new browser window with their affiliate info. At first I thought it was just a refresh of the browser, until I closed their window out and saw mine was still there.

Things that make you say hmmm.

BTW, your parasite detector did a good job detecting when I came back to make this post. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

BLFH,

Which merchant was it? Can you forward me a screen shot / video?

Haiko

Haiko

I'll PM you.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Looks like I popped a can of worms here...I'll hold on doing anything on this till everyone is agreed.

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

It is worse than Worms .... they are snakes!!!!!!!!

BLFH, got the PM and confirmed myself ... I'm on this via tel on Monday morning.

I am so on these shits!

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    BLFH,
    Thanks for posting that. I had no idea about the red sailboat etc.

Even if they are not popping up anything (which apparently they are), the blinking red taskbar icon is enough for me to call them parasitic.

I don't get it, people here complain about ebates, which afaik doesn't go as far as to do this blinking icon stuff (or do they do similar??), but, because morpheus made some concessions (which apparenlty they aren't even sticking to), they are "OK"??

0 sense.

@Chris: You didn't open a can of worms, you asked a legitimage question based on concern for the overall management of your affiliate program. More merchants should do so. Unfortunately, sleazes will be sleazes.

@Joseph: I don't think people realized Morpheus was doing this. As Haiko stated evidently their software was't supposed to be active on affiliate site's, but it is. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] eBates does someting similiar. Ppl who join ebates can go directly through the ebate site to merchants and get their rebates. Although many here don't like incent sites, that isn't necessarily parasitic (IMO). But if you look on their home page at the left hand bottom, you will see somthing called the Moe Money Maker. It does basically what Morpheus is doing. If someone goes to one of their merchants through any type of link, it will deliver a pop up reminding them to leave the site and reenter through the ebates site to get their rebate. So if they got to the site originally from an affiliate link, the affiliate just lost the commission. I don't think any affiliates here will say right now that Morpheus in not parasitic. And I would hazard a guess that they have just been removed from Haiko's clean list.

@Haiko: Go gettum! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] If you've got the proof you need, I'll uninstall their cr*ppy @ss software from my computer. Just let me know. If you want to post the screen shots I sent that's fine. I'll leave that to your discretion. Or if you want to discuss it with the merchant first.

@anyone elso who's interested:
    Not only are they still stealing, but their P2P software sucks too. I've seen much better that was parasite and ad free. And just to show that birds of a feather flock together, the banner ad that kept coming up everytime I opened the software was for copydvd.com, who tops the most annoying spammer with Christine Hall.

Plus they are very sneaky about how you have to register through their site to get the actual rebate, otherwise it goes to "charity" which is the Lexy Foundation owned by the same guys who own Morpheus. You install the software and not once does it provide a link or direction to finish the registration. But the pop ups will stil start immediately telling you that you are earning money, when you aren't! Hiding behind a "charitable" organization for Down's Syndrome to line their pockets. I would love to see their financials for this Lexy Foundation and find out how much money is being funneled to them under adminastrative costs of the charity. Big tax right off to Morpheus of those chartiable contributions too. I actually tracked down how to request the tax returns for a non profit through the FOIA, but (duh) you can only view them in person at the National Archives in DC. I was willing to put out 10 or 15 bucks to see a copy, but that doesn't seem to be an option. So much for freedom of information.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread