2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Seems like Wurldmedia decided they can't make it playing fair in the affiliate pool. They are again swapping affiliate ID#s ass pointed out by TigerDirect's action to drop them immediately. The they develop a driveby download to install a BHO Adware virus for their new search bar program to further their "reach" of the theftwarez program.

WebMaster Mike

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Mike,

What new search bar? And what does this Adware virus actually do? More info please.

The reference tying xupiter.com to Morpheus has been cleared up by Haiko. They aren't tied into each other but both are definitely BHO adwarez viruses.See full post for details..
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=6416016611

WebMaster Mike

Thanks Mike. In that post Haiko mentions that they are tied to Lop.com, which was who I thought you were referencing in this post. I thought maybe you had the skinny on how they were tied to Lop.com. There's getting to be too many of these idiots out there to keep them straight. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Any further details on that Haiko?

Xupiter seems to be a more stealty copy of the LOP BHO done by the same programmers. See this link for some greater details and tricky un-install info.
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/yabbse/in...;threadid=1066

Info on the Lop program can be found on Haiko's http://www.parasiteware.com site at the bottom of the list.

WebMaster Mike

BlFH,

Run Morphues directly and you'll see Lop, bonzi and others pop up every two or three minutes.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Seems Fastclick is doing some driveby downloads of Xupiter from this heads up post by Mysterygirl- Re:The "official" xupiter thread.
    « Reply #24 on: September 9, 2002, 01:11:57 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 205.180.85.40 domain is owned by FASTCLICK
    http://www.fastclick.com/about/contact.html
    I would block cookies before visiting them, who knows what software they will foist on you after this Xupiter nightmare.

Perhaps you will want to contact them and tell them how you really feel about their product. One vaild address that they use for sales and therefore have to check regularly would be quote@fastclick.com
    Their phone number is (805) 964-2266. I can't see their email addresses without enabling cookies.

They boast of gathering: visitor country, state/region, city or DMA within the US hour-of-day, day-of-week, visitor bandwidth, and visitor ISP. Check out their site for how this stuff is marketed. Very interesting. Then take some policital action against this, if you're getting tired of it.

Reference URL .. http://www.spywareinfo.com/yabbse/in...=1066;start=20

WebMaster Mike

Thanks for the info from the both of you.

Mike, that's a very interesting thread over at spywareinfo. This is definitely not something you want to get hit with. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Everyone needs to get those ActiveX security settings turned on.

Haiko, I'll run Morpheus and see. I wasn't having actual Morpheus program itself open, it was just running the shopping thing. The only thing I did notice when I actually opened Morpheus were banner ads for copydvd.com. Urh, spammers from Hades! I guess birds of a feather, flock together. I did mean to try out their web search function to see what happened and just never did it.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread