ABW Ambassador
    So I visit wurldmedia's buyerport thingy today, notice that $27,000 has been donated to their charity, a charity run by their family...

The lexy foundation.

Sounds interesting. Figure I will call upon my smarter than me friend and see what she can find out.

In the 2002 foundation directory there is no mention of the Lexy foundation. The directory lists every foundation that has filed the correct tax papers. She thought this was odd, and that this would normally mean it had not been created before the begining of 2002.

So what is the deal with this? Is this some kind of late plea for pity? Looking on their site and the install I can find no information except the mention of how great they are for giving back, but even the giving back is very vague and there are no details on this "charity".

Neither of us could find any govt rules for soliciting donations on the web, but I think the current information given out for this charity does not clearly layout where the money is going. Does anyone know if there are rules or guidelines?

I am not implying it is a scam or not a charity etc. I am not implying they horde the money and laugh at orphans. I am just curious to the lack of information on this charity and what role it plays in this whole web wurld media has wove.

I would appreciate any further information on this foundation and or any clarification or a balance statement.

Thanks

Chet

I seem to recall this so called Lexy foundation was formed shortly after Haiko first alerted us affiliates at AWB to their antics and funnily enough very shortly before Haiko was threatened by them with a lawsuit.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Chet,

I've mentioned this foundation in a few other posts throughout ABW. It raised a question mark with me and I've tried to research without much success. It is supposedly a charitable organization geared towards Down's Syndrome. Someone's child at Wurld Media has Down's and it was named after her. I went as far as to track down how to obtain Non profit organization's tax filings under the Freedom of Information Act, but as best as I could tell you have to actually go to the National Archives in Washington and view them in person.

Wurld Media has bought lexyfoundation domain, but there is nothing there live the last time I checked. I did find (at one time) a Down's Center site press release in a city I don't remember that stated they had received money from the Lexy Foundation. But there doesn't seem to be much info on the web about it. Just a blurb on Wurld Media's site. Don't know for sure what their tax status is.

ABW Ambassador
    The directory my friend searched (she is a librarian) is supposed to have all registered foundations. I have always hated the, we donate some of the money crap without saying how much was being donated.

Tomorrow I am going to do a little research on those figures. I believe they must be produced if requested.

Of course posting this here will alert wurld media and I am sure they will put something up. Which is fine. If it is real, and they real donate x amount, that's great. Just be open about it and not so vague.

But it smells too much like to the RIAA - "how can you sue us? We give money to the lexy foundation!"

Chet

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I researched all the Charities and benevelent funds registered in Afganistan and Pakistan this last year in case it was a typo. "Downs" syndrome is close to "downed" syndrome ..referring to the WTC on 9/11. Nothing showed up there under Lexy Foundation in case it was setup to funnel money to the poor relatives and kids of the terrorists on those suicide Jehad flights. Just a thought since charity abuses seem to be in vogue this year.

WebMaster Mike

Outsourced Program Manager
    I had the chance to speak with a rep from their company today. One of the executives has a child with down syndrome and has set this up in his/her name.

The problem with children with down syndrome is when the parents pass on they become wards of the state from what I understand. The fund is set up to help the estates of the family so that the child can stay with the family.

There is nothing sinister or anything about this - it is a charitable foundation. Isn't this quite off base? It is one thing to disagree and raise concerns over how they do business, but associate a foundation to 9-11?

I value the service that many of you provide - alerting the community and industry, especially merchants, to unethical and illegal activity by companies in the industry, but I think this is barking up the wrong tree.

Respectfully,

Jamie Birch
    Affiliate and Partner Programs Manager
    Coldwater Creek
    jbirch@thecreek.com
    208-265-3958

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Jamie we tried months ago to get Morpheus to devulge they abide by all the rules of legit charitable foundations before they play the sympathy card. Since they never came forward with a reasonable explaination why they never bothered to register the Lexy Foundation as a IRS recognized charity, I just treat it as hype. If they claim $27,000 has been raised by Buyersport sales without a auditable trust fund setup to administer and disperse this monies in a charatable charter..they are playing the charity card to their endusers.

I sure hope some of our stolen commissions go to this worthwhile Down Syndrome" project. If it doesn't then Morpheus just stole from those same Down Syndrome kids they pledged to help.

WebMaster Mike

>> I sure hope some of our stolen commissions go to this worthwhile Down Syndrome" project.

The shame of it is, some of that will come at the expense of other affiliate/non-profit sites that have charitable ends. Also, what about persons with disabilities who do this in order to live? The moms with special needs children who do this in order to have a means of working at home? Are they less important?

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

ABW Ambassador
    Jamie, please ignore the jokes, and look at the facts.

They claim to have a charitable foundation.

They do not state what percentage of the sales go to that foundation

They do not break down what percentage of the money in the foundation goes to the end receipient and what is operating costs.

They are not even registered as a foundation, or were only recently registered.

Why and why not?

These are not things I associate with legit charities/foundations. They can have all the reasons in the world, and you obviously fell for the sympathy play this seems to me. But until they clearly state some of the above, I don't believe a damn thing they say.

You feel you cannot question something, because look - it has to do with down children!!! Ignore the bad jokes (which I agree, diminish the real point here), everybody here has sympathy for families with kids with Down Syndrome, but if they were robbing banks and giving some of the loot to these victims, would you support their bank robbing? To me, that is what you are doing, and sorry I find I cannot give you back any respect for doing so.

Chet

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I've searched a few online databases of foundations and charities today and haven't been able to come up with any hits yet. That makes me suspicious.

Many "big" charitable organizations have gotten in trouble for the way they manage their donations and what's really done with them. Look at what happened at the United Way. Non profits make an excellent tax shelter. It doesn't mean that the money is going where it's supposed to be going. That's why charities are supposed to make public their financial records. If they don't do this, then it makes them suspect. Wurld Media has no one but themselves to blame for the immediate suspicion. They have proven to be dishonest. Why should we assume this foundation is on the up and up.

I have worked with the elderly and disabled for years. I have seen both the most heartwarming displays of human nature and the most base and disgusting by family members and friends. Any the vile things generally had to do with greed and money.

Jamie, these people steal from us. Where do you think the 'rewards' come from? Who pays the hosting and design fees for the sites they leech off? They are crooks pure and simple and anyone who assists them is a crook too.

You can plead naiveity all you please. You collaborate with these people and most of us see straight through it. But spare us the 'chariddee' speech. We all know where that begins.

How would you like it if I came round your house and plastered billboards all over it? Would it be just fine if I asked other people if they wanted to do it instead?

There is a deightful legal notion called the 'chain of causation'. And the financial loss resulting from you and your bandit buddies is reasonably foreseeable. If I were Haiko, your @$$ would be outta here and the invoice nailed to your front door.

I

There's a reference to the Lexy Foundation in Google Groups.

There's completely naive statement from some woman here:

quote:
    This seems to be a wonderful and easy way for us, as parents of children
    with Down syndrome,to help each other and the charitable orgs. that help us
    just by making our internet purchases through their BuyersPort. I like
    their privacy statment too.

I have to say this sort of thing disgusts me.. it's an attempt to make theft look like they're doing some good. If someone steals my TV and then says they given 10% of the proceeds to charity its still 100% theft.

Меня зовут Динаму

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread