All,

Wurlmedia is in full compliance with both Linkshare's Addendum and BeFree's proposal, the push now should be to get a stance from both CJ and performics. If you don't agree with the Addendum or the proposal, I suggest you direct your efforts to the networks and the standards meeting.

The "battle" agiast Wurld has been "won" because they are in full compliance, now lets move onto the standards meeting.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    I agree. Wurldmedia is in compliance. I've been checking my stats, and i don't see my sales being affected at all.

Affiliate Manager
    Then why are they still on the list of "ParasiteWare"?

Shawn Schwegman
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

There is no CJ nor Performics policy so they might still be with those merchants ... but the bottom line ....Time constraints.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Shawn, this is a legitimate question, I'm not trying to make anything of this, but I'd like to have your opinion on this:

In CJ, they have a KEEP=YES/NO option for merchants, and Todd Crawford stated once that the vast majority of merchants have KEEP=NO.

What this says is, as I understand it, merchants want affiliates to get 1 sale, then the cookie is removed, and the merchant gets the surfer from that point on, unless the surfer goes back and clicks through a banner on an affiliate's web site.

Now, is that what happens with their application? I know they have updated it recently, I just wondered if this is something that needs to be looked at.

It just would seem to me that if a merchant chooses a hard coded variable to be NO, then they are saying, they don't want affiliates to have lifetime customers, unless that customer is specifically clicking through the affiliate's web site.

In fact, I would think that having a KEEP= variable at all is something that CJ would need to look at, because it just seems to me that that variable is obligating them to something that will be in direct contrast with how most of the parasites work.

I am, honestly, puzzled by this question, and do not know the answer to it. What are your specific thoughts?

Somewhere, I am sure, the Gods of War are laughing.

Affiliate Manager
    I really have no idea how to answer this... I'm not familiar enough with CJ's interface or technology to understand this completely.

Sorry...

Shawn Schwegman
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

I worked at CJ for two years before coming to Expertcity and can answer the question. Most merchants use "keep=no" because their primary affiliate program objective is to get more new customers. If their commission plan is fair, they will reward affiliates with a commission amount that reflects the anticipated lifetime value of the customer. That's why the GoToMyPC program I manage pays $2 per lead plus $20 per sale even though 90% of all GoToMyPC first sales are $19.95.

"keep=yes" is the better option for merchants to use when the lifetime value of the customer is more variable. Merchants with a wide range of products would be most likely to benefit from using keep=yes. By paying the affiliate who referred the customer for multiple purchases the commission amount paid better reflects the real value of the customer delivered. The drawback to using keep=yes is that it requires paying a lower sale commission for each sale and causes the offer to be less competitive on the CJ Network. Especially since the "keep=yes" variable is not displayed on CJ for affiliates to see.

Ben Kiblinger
    GoToMyPC
    https://www.gotomypc.com/partners.tmpl

Funny thing happened to me today when I reinstalled a version of Morpheus that I had downloaded earlier this year... It didn't comply at all. It seems they have not updated their existing userbase at all. Quite frankly, I'm not sure they are smart enough technically to do it anyway. After all, it's only a browser helper object.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well their programming problems aren't as big as their legal problems...

"Tuesday, December 03, 2002
    File-Sharing Case Arguments Open Up

by Paul Wilborn

Lawyers representing record companies and movie studios argued in federal court Monday that companies marketing file-sharing services encourage illegal copying of music and movies.

Lawyers for the sharing services said they can't control what users do with their software.

The arguments were made in a hearing seeking summary judgment in a lawsuit against the popular file-sharing services Grokster, StreamCast, which distributes the Morpheus peer-to-peer software, and Kazaa. It is similar to previous cases in which courts essentially shut down the file-sharing services Napster and Aimster.

Both sides are seeking summary judgment.

U.S. District Judge Stephen Wilson took no immediate action, but promised to make a ruling later. He did not say when that would be.

The file-sharing services are different from Napster, their attorneys argued, because they only provide software and help using that software.

The services don't offer a list of songs and movies to users, but links do lead users to such lists, lawyers for the plaintiffs argued.

People using file-swapping services for illegal infringement are no different than people using a copy machine to illegally copy a book or a piece of sheet music, argued Charles Baker, a lawyer for one of the services.

But a lawyer for film studios said the services were designed around illegal downloading of music and movies.

"They have created a place where infringement can take place," argued David Kendall, who represents six movie studios, including Fox, Disney and Paramount.

Songwriters Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, responsible for such hits as "Hound Dog" and "Jailhouse Rock," are among the plaintiffs and were in the courtroom Monday. The song writing duo said illegal copying of music and movies was costing artists millions and would ultimately stifle creativity.

"We think it is important for us to be here," Leiber said. "This could be a disaster for our culture."

But Steve Griffin, CEO of Streamcast, said his company only provides a way for people to communicate with each other.

"I think the judge understands this is a very complex case and is really about the future of the Internet," Griffin said.

The plaintiffs are asking for the services to be closed down and that the companies be ordered to pay damages that could run into "many, many millions," said record industry attorney Russell J. Frackman.

The Associated Press, Newsbytes

WebMaster Mike

But that is a problem for Morpheus, not Wurld Media. Isn't Wurld Media's shopping thing just bundled with Morpheus?
    They are not one and the same.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    All income for the P2P copywrite file sharing programs comes from parasitic shopping BHO plug-ins. Wurld Media is totally intertwined into the outcome of this case as they may have a user base of ZERO if the media companies win and force the P2P wanks into bankrupsy.

WebMaster Mike

Thanks for clarifying, I misunderstood that you were saying they were directly involved in the case, instead of indirectly.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    Are they REALLY in compliance?

Do they still feed off our traffic?

My standard procedure these days is to avoid any merchant on their list. Are they still parasites?

Of course not. I know for a fact that they do not include an uninstall mechanism or even an entry in the program files identiying themselves on older versions of their software. They've basically turned their older versions into Gator-esque products without the disclaimer of causing the actual pop-up. We'll have to wait and see if Haiko & Co. can make the neworks force their compliance per the new code of conduct.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread